all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* universal call-process-region for both the local and remote usages - confusion
@ 2015-12-06 17:03 vibrys
From: vibrys @ 2015-12-06 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hallo Emacs users

I'm planning to adapt the emacs module to work remote locations. It
heavily uses call-process-region.

AFAIK: call-process-region does not work for remote site.

What is the tramp-aware replacement for it?

I found org-babel-tramp-handle-call-process-region to be the one?
But it is not in emacs trunk.
Why? I mean, is it some other legal function? Is there something wrong
with org-babel-* one, os that is wasn't added to trunk?

regards,

Vi

* Re: universal call-process-region for both the local and remote usages - confusion
@ 2015-12-07  3:34 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-12-07  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: vibrys <vibrysec@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2015 18:03:13 +0100
>
> I'm planning to adapt the emacs module to work remote locations. It
> heavily uses call-process-region.
>
> AFAIK: call-process-region does not work for remote site.
>
> What is the tramp-aware replacement for it?

I think you want process-file.

* Re: universal call-process-region for both the local and remote usages - confusion
@ 2015-12-08 17:36 vibrys
From: vibrys @ 2015-12-08 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz, help-gnu-emacs

Hi Eli,
thank You for the answer.

I think not. IMHO: process-file is counterpart to call-process, but not
to call-process-region.

regards

* Re: universal call-process-region for both the local and remote usages - confusion
@ 2015-12-08 17:46 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-12-08 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: vibrys <vibrysec@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 18:36:13 +0100
>
> I think not. IMHO: process-file is counterpart to call-process, but not
> to call-process-region.

You can copy the region to the remote or local temporary file
yourself, it's not hard.  (Not sure if moving large amounts of stuff
via the net makes sense, though, so maybe reconsider your design.)