all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Right align a single line
@ 2009-07-22 17:05 Noah Slater
From: Noah Slater @ 2009-07-22 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

How do I right align a single line, such as:

- foo

So that it is flush with the right margin, like:

                                                                          - foo

If I run M-x set-justification-right, I end up with:

-                                                                           foo

Which is obviously not what I want.

Doing that also results in the rest of what I have to type being right aligned.

* Right align a single line
@ 2009-08-20 19:38 Noah Slater
From: Noah Slater @ 2009-08-20 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

How do I right align a single line, such as:

- foo

So that it is flush with the right margin, like:

                                                                          - foo

If I run M-x set-justification-right, I end up with:

-                                                                           foo

Which is obviously not what I want.

Doing that also results in the rest of what I have to type being right aligned.

* Re: Right align a single line
       [not found] <mailman.5017.1250860029.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-08-21 14:36 ` Anselm Helbig
From: Anselm Helbig @ 2009-08-21 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Thu, 20 Aug 2009 20:38:23 +0100,
Noah Slater <nslater@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> How do I right align a single line, such as:
>
> - foo
>
> So that it is flush with the right margin, like:
>
>                                                                           - foo
>
> If I run M-x set-justification-right, I end up with:
>
> -                                                                           foo
>
> Which is obviously not what I want.
>
> Doing that also results in the rest of what I have to type being right aligned.

Try to stick this in your .emacs:

  (setq adaptive-fill-mode nil)

Alternatively you can customize adaptive-fill-regexp to not include a
dash, so that fill-paragraph and friends still work properly for
e.g. email quotes.

HTH,

Anselm

--
Anselm Helbig
mailto:anselm.helbig+news2009@googlemail.com

* Re: Right align a single line
@ 2009-08-21 16:23   ` Noah Slater
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5117.1250926034.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Noah Slater @ 2009-08-21 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: anselm.helbig+news2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 04:36:47PM +0200, Anselm Helbig wrote:
> Try to stick this in your .emacs:
>
>   (setq adaptive-fill-mode nil)
>
> Alternatively you can customize adaptive-fill-regexp to not include a
> dash, so that fill-paragraph and friends still work properly for
> e.g. email quotes.

That seemed to do the trick with regard to the dash.

How do I justify a single line to the right, without affecting subsequent lines?

* Re: Right align a single line
@ 2009-08-21 18:55   ` Noah Slater
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5117.1250926034.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Noah Slater @ 2009-08-21 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: anselm.helbig+news2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 04:36:47PM +0200, Anselm Helbig wrote:
> Try to stick this in your .emacs:
>
>   (setq adaptive-fill-mode nil)
>
> Alternatively you can customize adaptive-fill-regexp to not include a
> dash, so that fill-paragraph and friends still work properly for
> e.g. email quotes.

Actually, that didn't work, because now it won't wrap indented blocks.

* Re: Right align a single line
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5117.1250926034.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-08-22 21:16     ` John A Pershing Jr
From: John A Pershing Jr @ 2009-08-22 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org> writes:

> How do I justify a single line to the right, without affecting
> subsequent lines?

There used to be a function to do exactly that, back when Emacs was
implemented in TECO and only ran on DEC mainframes.  (It was said that
merely three Emacs users could bring a KL-20 to its knees, although that
was an exaggeration.)

However, I can't find anything, so you will have to roll your own
function and, optionally, assign it to a key.  The required
functionality appears to be in 'justify-current-line', but this really
needs to be called from a wrapper defun -- it's not set up for direct
binding to a key.

  -jp