all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problem getting mail from gmail with gnus
@ 2022-06-07 17:09 Pascal Quesseveur
From: Pascal Quesseveur @ 2022-06-07 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

Apparently it is no more possible to get mails from gmail using imap
on gnus:

Opening nnimap server on imap.gmail.com...failed:
NO (AUTHENTICATIONFAILED) Invalid credentials (Failure) Opening nnimap
server

I have read some threads about using oauth2, but I can't figure out if
there is a workable solution on Windows  (I am currently using GNU
Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2020-08-21).

I would be very happy to know if there are things that can be done to
regain the use of gmail using imap.

--
Pascal Quesseveur
pascal.quesseveur@free.fr

* Re: Problem getting mail from gmail with gnus
@ 2022-06-07 17:48 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2022-06-07 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pascal Quesseveur; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Pascal Quesseveur <pascal.quesseveur@free.fr> writes:

> Apparently it is no more possible to get mails from gmail using imap
> on gnus:
>
> Opening nnimap server on imap.gmail.com...failed:
> NO (AUTHENTICATIONFAILED) Invalid credentials (Failure) Opening nnimap
> server
>
> I have read some threads about using oauth2, but I can't figure out if
> there is a workable solution on Windows  (I am currently using GNU
> Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2020-08-21).
>
> I would be very happy to know if there are things that can be done to
> regain the use of gmail using imap.

From a few weeks ago, there is a long discussion on emacs-devel on this
topic.

In short, you need to generate and use an app password.

* Re: Problem getting mail from gmail with gnus
@ 2022-06-08  6:15   ` Byung-Hee HWANG
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2022-06-08  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> (... thanks ...)
> In short, you need to generate and use an app password.

+1;

Futher reading:
<https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en-GB>

Sincerely, Gnus fan Byung-Hee

--
^고맙습니다 _布德天下_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: Problem getting mail from gmail with gnus
@ 2022-06-08  8:11   ` Pascal Quesseveur
From: Pascal Quesseveur @ 2022-06-08  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>"ÓF" == Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

  ÓF> In short, you need to generate and use an app password.

Thank you. Here is what I did:

  - connect to my google account and activate 2-step verification
    password, then setup the 2-step verification password
  - come back to my google account and activate App passwords
  - select Other application, name emacs
  - copy the code in my .authinfo file

Everything is working fine. One more question: Is the code specific to
the PC that was used to generate the password ?

--
Pascal Quesseveur
pquessev@gmail.com

* Re: Problem getting mail from gmail with gnus
@ 2022-06-08  8:46     ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2022-06-08  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pascal Quesseveur; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    >> "ÓF" == Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:
    ÓF> In short, you need to generate and use an app password.

    PQsr> Thank you. Here is what I did:

    PQsr>   - connect to my google account and activate 2-step verification
    PQsr>     password, then setup the 2-step verification password
    PQsr>   - come back to my google account and activate App passwords
    PQsr>   - select Other application, name emacs
    PQsr>   - copy the code in my .authinfo file

    PQsr> Everything is working fine. One more question: Is the code specific to
    PQsr> the PC that was used to generate the password ?

No, itʼs specific to the 'app'. I have had an app password for gmail
for many years that Iʼve used from at least 2 different machines.

Robert

* Re: Problem getting mail from gmail with gnus
@ 2022-06-08  9:00       ` Pascal Quesseveur
From: Pascal Quesseveur @ 2022-06-08  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>"RP" == Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> a écrit :