all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to turn off font-lock-mode with a local variable
@ 2012-07-09 18:48 Enda
From: Enda @ 2012-07-09 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

The following when at the end of a file does not turn off font-lock-mode when visiting a file:

;; Local Variables:
;; eval: (lisp-mode)
;; eval: (font-lock-mode -1)
;; End:

How do I turn off font-lock-mode per file then?

Best wishes,

Enda

This doesn't work either (even though I do not want to turn off font-lock globally, just for the file that I am visiting):

;; Local Variables:
;; eval: (lisp-mode)
;; eval: (global-font-lock-mode -1)
;; End:

* RE: How to turn off font-lock-mode with a local variable
@ 2012-07-09 20:23 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-07-09 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Enda', help-gnu-emacs

> The following when at the end of a file does not turn off
> font-lock-mode when visiting a file:
>
> ;; Local Variables:
> ;; eval: (lisp-mode)
> ;; eval: (font-lock-mode -1)
> ;; End:
>
> How do I turn off font-lock-mode per file then?
>
> This doesn't work either (even though I do not want to turn
> off font-lock globally, just for the file that I am visiting):
>
> ;; Local Variables:
> ;; eval: (lisp-mode)
> ;; eval: (global-font-lock-mode -1)
> ;; End:

See the Emacs manual, node `Font Lock'.

* Re: How to turn off font-lock-mode with a local variable
@ 2012-07-09 20:28   ` Enda
From: Enda @ 2012-07-09 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I want to disable font-lock-mode using Local Variables, and the obvious way does not work.

- Enda

________________________________

@ 2012-07-09 20:53     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-07-09 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Enda', help-gnu-emacs

(Please use plain text for this mailing list.)

> I want to disable font-lock-mode using Local Variables,
> and the obvious way does not work.
>
>> The following when at the end of a file does not turn off
>> font-lock-mode when visiting a file:
>>
>> ;; Local Variables:
>> ;; eval: (lisp-mode)
>> ;; eval: (font-lock-mode -1)
>> ;; End:

FWIW, what you tried works for me, in Emacs 24.1.  What is your Emacs version?

Try also this (same as what you tried, except for the major-mode part):

;; Local Variables:
;; mode: lisp
;; eval: (font-lock-mode -1)
;; End:

See (emacs) `Specifying File Variables'.

But neither form seems to work in Emacs 22.3 or 23.3.  Perhaps someone else has
a suggestion.