all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Open info file directly in emacs info reader
@ 2004-08-14 17:56 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2004-08-14 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've forgotten how to open an *.info file directly within emacs info
reader.   I mean one that is not listed in C-h i.

And not getting good start at:

M-x Info-<SPC> or
C-h v Info-<spc>

* Re: Open info file directly in emacs info reader
       [not found] <mailman.1201.1092506684.2011.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-08-14 18:50 ` Stein Arild Strømme
From: Stein Arild Strømme @ 2004-08-14 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Harry Putnam]

| I've forgotten how to open an *.info file directly within emacs info
| reader.   I mean one that is not listed in C-h i.
|
| And not getting good start at:
|
| M-x Info-<SPC> or
| C-h v Info-<spc>

Try: g(filename)nodename

g runs the command Info-goto-node
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `info'.
It is bound to g, <menu-bar> <info> <go to node...>.
(Info-goto-node nodename &optional fork)

Go to info node named nodename.  Give just nodename or (FILENAME)nodename.
If nodename is of the form (FILENAME)nodename, the node is in the Info file
FILENAME; otherwise, nodename should be in the current Info file (or one of
its sub-files).
Completion is available, but only for node names in the current Info file.
If fork is non-nil (interactively with a prefix arg), show the node in
a new info buffer.
If fork is a string, it is the name to use for the new buffer.

--
Stein Arild Strømme            +47 55584825, +47 95801887
Universitetet i Bergen                  Fax: +47 55589672

* Re: Open info file directly in emacs info reader
@ 2004-08-14 19:32 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-08-14 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
> Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 12:56:55 -0500
>
> I've forgotten how to open an *.info file directly within emacs info
> reader.   I mean one that is not listed in C-h i.

"C-u C-h i" will do it.

@ 2004-08-14 19:50 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2004-08-14 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've forgotten how to open an *.info file directly within emacs info
> reader.   I mean one that is not listed in C-h i.
>
> And not getting good start at:
>
> M-x Info-<SPC> or
> C-h v Info-<spc>

Yes, I too have always difficulties to (re)find how to do it.

It's because of having a public find-info-file or whatever command
that could be found with apropos, they've implemented the feature with
a prefix argument. Silly if you ask me.

So the answer is to use C-u:   C-u C-h i

neither do we.

* Re: Open info file directly in emacs info reader
@ 2004-08-14 21:56   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2004-08-14 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Bourguignon <spam@mouse-potato.com> writes:

> Yes, I too have always difficulties to (re)find how to do it.
>
> It's because of having a public find-info-file or whatever command
> that could be found with apropos, they've implemented the feature with
> a prefix argument. Silly if you ask me.
>
> So the answer is to use C-u:   C-u C-h i

Thanks posters.  I think maybe Eli has some influence on the `i'
(index) search... maybe if it is not already obvious and easy to find
with index search, he will fix that.

I didn't find it that way, but I am sort of notorious for not thinking
of obviuos stings to search for.

* Re: Open info file directly in emacs info reader
@ 2004-08-15  3:42     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-08-15  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
> Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 16:56:36 -0500
>
> Thanks posters.  I think maybe Eli has some influence on the `i'
> (index) search... maybe if it is not already obvious and easy to find
> with index search, he will fix that.
>
> I didn't find it that way, but I am sort of notorious for not thinking
> of obviuos stings to search for.

There's no index entry that points to that paragraph in the manual.

I'll add an entry, but it will help to know what strings did you try
to search for it.

* Re: Open info file directly in emacs info reader
@ 2004-08-15 19:10   ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2004-08-15 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat Aug 14 2004 at 14:50, Pascal Bourguignon <spam@mouse-potato.com> said:

>> I've forgotten how to open an *.info file directly within emacs
>> info reader.  I mean one that is not listed in C-h i.
>>
>> And not getting good start at:
>>
>> M-x Info-<SPC> or
>> C-h v Info-<spc>
>
> Yes, I too have always difficulties to (re)find how to do it.

When I want to view an info file, I'm usually in the file's parent
directory in dired.  Then I put the cursor on the file and type 'I'
(dired-info), which is documented at

(info "(dired-x)Miscellaneous Commands")

Cheers -

bw
--
Bill White . billw@mchsi.com . http://minutiae.stblogs.org

* Re: Open info file directly in emacs info reader
@ 2004-08-16  1:54       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2004-08-16  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> I didn't find it that way, but I am sort of notorious for not thinking
>> of obviuos stings to search for.
>
> There's no index entry that points to that paragraph in the manual.
>
> I'll add an entry, but it will help to know what strings did you try
> to search for it.

The only things I came up with were C-h i m emacs
i Info<spc>  Which completes to Info  index

or i Info<RET>  Which leads to two hits...neither is close to what I
was after.

* Re: Open info file directly in emacs info reader
@ 2004-08-16  1:55     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2004-08-16  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill White <billw@mchsi.com> writes:

> When I want to view an info file, I'm usually in the file's parent
> directory in dired.  Then I put the cursor on the file and type 'I'
> (dired-info), which is documented at
>
> (info "(dired-x)Miscellaneous Commands")

Ha... yeah thats a nice one.

* Re: Open info file directly in emacs info reader
@ 2004-08-16  4:27         ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]           ` <mailman.1446.1092679615.2011.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-08-16  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
> Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 20:54:44 -0500
>
> The only things I came up with were C-h i m emacs
> i Info<spc>  Which completes to Info  index
>
> or i Info<RET>  Which leads to two hits...neither is close to what I
> was after.

Actually, the first hit of "i Info RET" lands you within a few lines
of what you were looking for.

How about "find Info file by its name"--will that do?

* Re: Open info file directly in emacs info reader
@ 2004-08-16 17:59           ` Harry Putnam
       [not found]           ` <mailman.1446.1092679615.2011.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Harry Putnam @ 2004-08-16 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Actually, the first hit of "i Info RET" lands you within a few lines
> of what you were looking for.

I'm not sure which one you mean.  Info<RET> goes one place and
Info<spc><RET> goes another.  But I don't really see it at either.

> How about "find Info file by its name"--will that do?

Well it seems like it ought to start with `Info' some how and
completion should show it.

From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-08-16 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Well it seems like it ought to start with `Info' some how and
> completion should show it.

C-u M-x info RET

* Re: Open info file directly in emacs info reader
@ 2004-08-16 19:23             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-08-16 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
> Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:59:06 -0500
>
> > Actually, the first hit of "i Info RET" lands you within a few lines
> > of what you were looking for.
>
> I'm not sure which one you mean.  Info<RET> goes one place and
> Info<spc><RET> goes another.

I meant the first one (I'm sure you know that no SPC character is
supposed to be typed in the commands above unless SPC appears by its
name).

> But I don't really see it at either.

Perhaps we have two different versions of the manual, then.  In my
version, "i Info RET" lands me on the first paragraph of the node
"Misc Help", where the second paragraph describes the feature you
wanted.

> > How about "find Info file by its name"--will that do?
>
> Well it seems like it ought to start with `Info' some how and
> completion should show it.

Sorry, this is not always possible, and could even be a bad idea when,
as in this case, there's already an index entry that starts with
"Info" and points to almost the same place.

* Re: Open info file directly in emacs info reader
@ 2004-08-17  1:32               ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2004-08-17  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
>> Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:59:06 -0500
>>
>> > Actually, the first hit of "i Info RET" lands you within a few lines
>> > of what you were looking for.
>>
>> I'm not sure which one you mean.  Info<RET> goes one place and
>> Info<spc><RET> goes another.
>
> I meant the first one (I'm sure you know that no SPC character is
> supposed to be typed in the commands above unless SPC appears by its
> name).
>
>> But I don't really see it at either.
>
> Perhaps we have two different versions of the manual, then.  In my
> version, "i Info RET" lands me on the first paragraph of the node
> "Misc Help", where the second paragraph describes the feature you
> wanted.

OK I see it now.
There is a reason spc may be used ... to complete.
if you `i' info<spc>  The `i' is converted to uppercase then press
<RET> you go to `22.8 Completion for Symbol Names'  If you press spc
twice then you get `Info index' which goes there to.
So the <RET> in first instance finishes completion then jumps there I
guess.  Any way that was the source of my confusion.

So it seems the index search already leads to this info quite well.
Sorry to have wasted your time.