On 12/14/2023 4:06 PM, Jim Porter wrote: > While this patch does add a new backend action, it's purely optional and > no other backend needs to be aware of it at all. I suppose I could > hardcode the Git behavior in 'vc-short-revision', but that didn't seem > to me to have any benefits over this version. Actually, now that I think about it, I could add the 'vc-short-revision' function and then use *that* to set a special variable, like so (see attached). I'm not sure how much I like this, but it does completely avoid adding any new backend functions (not even optional ones).