all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Taking notes / excerptions with emacs
@ 2011-07-01 10:27 Frederik
From: Frederik @ 2011-07-01 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi There!

Until now I've taken notes and did extracts/abstracts of the books I had
to read by hand, i.e. with pen & paper.

Now I want to switch to the digital world... What could be more natural
than using emacs, because I already use it with AucTeX to create my
latex documents.

What I basically need is ordering of the abstracts and full-text search
for my notes. Printing the notes would be useful, too.

Google brought up several modes; org-mode seems promising, but I never
tried it before.

How do you take notes? Any special suggestions? I thought it could be
helpful to ask on this list before trying out several modes...

Thanks & Regards,
Fred

--
Frederik

freak.fred@gmail.com

* Re: Taking notes / excerptions with emacs
@ 2011-07-01 12:11 ` Jambunathan K
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-07-01 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frederik; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Google brought up several modes; org-mode seems promising, but I never
> tried it before.

Look no further than org-mode. If you are looking elsewhere you are
wasting your time.

This is a good place to start: http://orgmode.org/worg/

You may also want to join or follow the emacs-orgmode mailing list.

Jambunathan K.

* Re: Taking notes / excerptions with emacs
@ 2011-07-01 12:48 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-07-01 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Jul 01 2011, Frederik wrote:

> Hi There!
>
> Until now I've taken notes and did extracts/abstracts of the books I
> had to read by hand, i.e. with pen & paper.
>
> Now I want to switch to the digital world... What could be more
> natural than using emacs, because I already use it with AucTeX to
> create my latex documents.
>
> What I basically need is ordering of the abstracts and full-text
> search for my notes. Printing the notes would be useful, too.
>
> Google brought up several modes; org-mode seems promising, but I never
> tried it before.
>
> How do you take notes? Any special suggestions? I thought it could be
> helpful to ask on this list before trying out several modes...
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Fred

Google did not lie: org-mode is one of the best emacs modes for this
sort of thing. Structured, outline-style documents, flexible search (and
"search view") options, metadata galore, and in your case the icing on
the cake would be direct export to LaTeX source code. In fact, you can
mingle your notes/research and original writing in a single file, and
selectively export just the bits that you want.

Many people primarily use emacs just to be able to use org-mode…

Eric

* Re: Taking notes / excerptions with emacs
@ 2011-07-01 14:32 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-07-01 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 01.07.2011 12:27, schrieb Frederik:
> Hi There!
>
> Until now I've taken notes and did extracts/abstracts of the books I had
> to read by hand, i.e. with pen & paper.
>
> Now I want to switch to the digital world... What could be more natural
> than using emacs, because I already use it with AucTeX to create my
> latex documents.
>
> What I basically need is ordering of the abstracts and full-text search
> for my notes. Printing the notes would be useful, too.
>
> Google brought up several modes; org-mode seems promising, but I never
> tried it before.
>
> How do you take notes? Any special suggestions? I thought it could be
> helpful to ask on this list before trying out several modes...
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Fred

Hi, the file attached stores data together with it's location.

Call `M-x note-with-url' with an active region.

It's designed to take notes from Emacs-w3m browser, but works with any
buffer.

Notes are stored in files setting up variables listing paired entries
like this:

(setq nwu-example
       (quote
        (list
        ("Thanks to many of the other people for the great
contributions." . "http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/")

("Vor dem Bundesfinanzhof müssen sich die Beteiligten
     durch Prozessbevollmächtigte vertreten lassen. Dies gilt
     auch für Prozesshandlungen, durch die ein Verfahren vor
     dem Bundesfinanzhof eingeleitet wird." .
"/MY-LOCAL/PATH/gesetze/rechtsberatungsrecht.txt")
)))

When taking notes from Emacs Mail, remember.el will be more suitable maybe.

Andreas

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode/components-python-mode
https://code.launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

[-- Attachment #2: note-with-url.el.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 3123 bytes --]

* Re: Taking notes / excerptions with emacs
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-07-01 16:14 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-07-01 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Frederik <freak.fred@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi There!
>
> Until now I've taken notes and did extracts/abstracts of the books I had to read
> by hand, i.e. with pen & paper.
>
> Now I want to switch to the digital world... What could be more natural than
> using emacs, because I already use it with AucTeX to create my latex documents.
>
> What I basically need is ordering of the abstracts and full-text search for my
> notes. Printing the notes would be useful, too.
>
> Google brought up several modes; org-mode seems promising, but I never tried it
> before.
>
> How do you take notes? Any special suggestions? I thought it could be helpful to
> ask on this list before trying out several modes...
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Fred

org-mode

It does it all  : you can have it as easy or complex as you like and it
ships with a hist of utilities such as gnus integration, html export,
journaling etc etc.

And. more importantly, its a dynamic, polite and responsive development
team working on it which is always open to suggestions and willing to
help which is not bogged down in politics.

* Re: Taking notes / excerptions with emacs
@ 2011-07-01 21:36   ` Frederik
From: Frederik @ 2011-07-01 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for all your answers!

I tried org-mode and after browsing the manual I'm convinced. Now
note-taking is actually fun :-)

--
Frederik

* Re: Taking notes / excerptions with emacs
@ 2011-07-04  1:33     ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-07-04  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frederik; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 11:36 PM, Frederik <freak.fred@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried org-mode and after browsing the manual I'm convinced. Now
> note-taking is actually fun :-)

A word of caution: the awesomeness of org-mode can sometimes consume
you and make you forget your original intention. ;)

--
Suvayu