all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How change value of any variable at run time? (not just in .emacs w/ setq!)
@ 2008-12-17 20:16 seberino
From: seberino @ 2008-12-17 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How change value of any variable at run time? (not just in .emacs)

I can use setq in .emacs but I don't know about run time.
Thanks,

cs

* Re: How change value of any variable at run time? (not just in .emacs w/ setq!)
@ 2008-12-17 20:30 ` Teemu Likonen
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2982.1229548500.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2008-12-17 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

seberino@spawar.navy.mil (2008-12-17 12:16 -0800) wrote:

> How change value of any variable at run time? (not just in .emacs)
>
> I can use setq in .emacs but I don't know about run time.
> Thanks,

    M-x set-variable

You can also evaluate any code with M-: so this also works:

    M-: (setq variable ...)

And you can enter the code to any buffer (*scratch* buffer, for
example), then put the point after the closing parent of the code part
you want to evaluate and press C-x C-e (eval-last-sexp).

For more info:

    C-h r m Variables RET

* Re: How change value of any variable at run time? (not just in .emacs w/ setq!)
@ 2008-12-17 20:31 ` Joost Diepenmaat
From: Joost Diepenmaat @ 2008-12-17 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"seberino@spawar.navy.mil" <seberino@spawar.navy.mil> writes:

> How change value of any variable at run time? (not just in .emacs)
>
> I can use setq in .emacs but I don't know about run time.

There's nothing but runtime in emacs lisp. In other words, you can use
setq anywhen (although some extensions rely on certain variables being
defined or undefined before loading).

If you want to experiment, type "M-x ielm" to get an interactive elisp
environment.

* RE: How change value of any variable at run time? (not just in.emacs w/ setq!)
@ 2008-12-17 21:14   ` Drew Adams
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2982.1229548500.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-12-17 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Teemu Likonen', help-gnu-emacs

> > How change value of any variable at run time? (not just in .emacs)
> > I can use setq in .emacs but I don't know about run time.
>
>     M-x set-variable

No. `set-variable' is only for user options.

You can use `set-any-variable', from simple+.el to set any variable.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/simple%2b.el

> You can also evaluate any code with M-: so this also works:
>
>     M-: (setq variable ...)

Yes.

See also `setq-default'.

@ 2008-12-18  2:46     ` Chetan
From: Chetan @ 2008-12-18  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> > How change value of any variable at run time? (not just in .emacs)
>> > I can use setq in .emacs but I don't know about run time.
>>
>>     M-x set-variable
>
> No. `set-variable' is only for user options.
>
> You can use `set-any-variable', from simple+.el to set any variable.
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/simple%2b.el
>
>> You can also evaluate any code with M-: so this also works:
>>
>>     M-: (setq variable ...)
>
> Yes.
>
> See also `setq-default'.
I just create a text in a buffer, current buffer if it is buffer
local variable or in scratch buffer
(setq variable ...) C-x C-e