all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs changed indenting on me
@ 2004-09-29 18:33 Sarir Khamsi
From: Sarir Khamsi @ 2004-09-29 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, I have no idea what I did but GNU Emacs (21.3.50.1) changed
indenting of C++ code. Now it indents 2 spaces instead of the usual 3
and moves comment characters ("//") typed in the first column to align
with the indented code...it didn't do that before.

Any ideas on what I could have done to make this happen or how I can
fix it? (I'm on WinXP, SP1.) Thanks.

Sarir

* Re: Emacs changed indenting on me
@ 2004-09-29 19:16 ` EScott
From: EScott @ 2004-09-29 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, help-gnu-emacs-bounces+escott=nyiso.com

help-gnu-emacs-bounces+escott=nyiso.com@gnu.org wrote on 09/29/2004
02:33:27 PM:

> Well, I have no idea what I did but GNU Emacs (21.3.50.1) changed
> indenting of C++ code. Now it indents 2 spaces instead of the usual 3
> and moves comment characters ("//") typed in the first column to align
> with the indented code...it didn't do that before.
>
> Any ideas on what I could have done to make this happen or how I can
> fix it? (I'm on WinXP, SP1.) Thanks.
>
> Sarir

Try c-set-style

When prompted use ? to list available styles.  There are 11 under the
W2000 install!.  I like Ellemtel.

Eric.

* Re: Emacs changed indenting on me
       [not found] <mailman.370.1096485805.2017.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-09-29 21:09 ` Sarir Khamsi
From: Sarir Khamsi @ 2004-09-29 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

EScott@nyiso.com writes:

> help-gnu-emacs-bounces+escott=nyiso.com@gnu.org wrote on 09/29/2004 02:33:27
> PM:
>
>> Well, I have no idea what I did but GNU Emacs (21.3.50.1) changed
>> indenting of C++ code. Now it indents 2 spaces instead of the usual 3
>> and moves comment characters ("//") typed in the first column to align
>> with the indented code...it didn't do that before.
>>
>> Any ideas on what I could have done to make this happen or how I can
>> fix it? (I'm on WinXP, SP1.) Thanks.
>
> Try c-set-style

Thanks, but does that change the indentation amount (ie, number of
spaces) and comment character placement? I don't see a call to that in
my ~/.emacs file.

@ 2004-09-29 22:31 ` Sarir Khamsi
       [not found]   ` <mailman.513.1096548315.2017.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sarir Khamsi @ 2004-09-29 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Never mind...I did a diff between previous versions and found my
problem. Sorry.

* Re: Emacs changed indenting on me
@ 2004-09-30 12:38   ` J. David Boyd
       [not found]   ` <mailman.513.1096548315.2017.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: J. David Boyd @ 2004-09-30 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sarir Khamsi <sarir.khamsi@raytheon.com> writes:

> Never mind...I did a diff between previous versions and found my
> problem. Sorry.

You're supposed to tell us what the problem was so that we can all learn!

Dave

* Re: Emacs changed indenting on me
@ 2004-09-30 12:48   ` Greg Rowe
From: Greg Rowe @ 2004-09-30 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:09:40 -0700, Sarir Khamsi wrote:

> Thanks, but does that change the indentation amount (ie, number of
> spaces) and comment character placement? I don't see a call to that in
> my ~/.emacs file.

Yes it does.  It can completely change the indentation style including the
number of spaces.

If the spaces do not suit you you can change that by setting the
c-basic-offset variable.  For example, I like 5 spaces per indent:

(setq c-basic-offset 5)

In reality I use the stroustroup indentation style which uses a
basic-offset of 5 anyhow.

Greg

--
Home is where the .bashrc is.

@ 2004-10-01 18:13     ` Sarir Khamsi
From: Sarir Khamsi @ 2004-10-01 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

dave@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:

> Sarir Khamsi <sarir.khamsi@raytheon.com> writes:
>
>> Never mind...I did a diff between previous versions and found my
>> problem. Sorry.
>
> You're supposed to tell us what the problem was so that we can all learn!

Fair enough...this is what I took out:

(add-hook 'c-mode-hook
 	  (function (lambda ()
  		      (setq c-file-style "local"))))

(add-hook 'c++-mode-hook
  	  (function (lambda ()
  		      (setq c-file-style "local"))))
(c-add-style "local"
'((c-basic-offset . 3)
  (c-comment-only-line-offset . 0)
  (c-hanging-braces-alist . ((substatement-open before after)))
  (c-offsets-alist . ((topmost-intro        . 0)
		      (topmost-intro-cont   . 0)
		      (substatement         . 3)
		      (substatement-open    . 0)
		      (statement-case-open  . 3)
		      (statement-cont       . 3)
		      (access-label         . -3)
		      (inclass              . 3)
		      (inline-open          . 0)
		      ))))

I didn't think I needed it. After I got the initial reply, it all made
sense when I did the diff.

Sari

* Re: Emacs changed indenting on me
@ 2004-10-01 19:44       ` EScott