all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com>
To: <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, 'tiefeng wu' <icebergwtf@gmail.com>
Subject: RE: bind a hotkey to toggle variable
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 01:47:28 -0700	[thread overview]

> > Frankly, I'm always surprised that, 20-30 years after the
> > introduction of graphic displays and window managers, most
> > people still use Emacs windows, not frames, for most buffers.
> > That Emacs doesn't play very well with non-nil
> > `pop-up-frames' could explain that in part, but why people
> > still use Emacs windows so much is generally a mystery to me.
>
> For me it's easier to find the GNU Emacs running on host (or server)
> A and then navigating through its buffers than to find buffer
> frame 1 which could have log from host (or server) A or B or C or.

Easier than what?

I have no idea what you're talking about. Perhaps you're referring to
terminal-mode frames? If so, that's a different subject - I was speaking of
using a graphic display (window mgr) with Emacs frames vs using it with Emacs
windows. I wasn't talking about the new multi-term thing for non-graphic use of
Emacs.

And there is no problem choosing among buffers, whether you use Emacs windows or
frames. FWIW, I rarely choose among frames (if that's what you meant to
contrast); I typically choose among buffers.

Whether a buffer that is chosen is displayed in a one-window frame or in a
window among several in a frame is irrelevant to choosing the buffer. I mention
this because I get the impression you are perhaps contrasting choosing a buffer
with choosing a frame (?). But I really don't know what you're trying to say.