all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Frame for opening rgrep links?
@ 2014-11-09 21:15 Nikolaus Rath
From: Nikolaus Rath @ 2014-11-09 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I typically use Emacs with two frames, one "regular" frame and one
opened by ecb.

Until a little while ago, running M-x rgrep in the ecb frame and
clicking on one of the matches in the *grep* buffer opened the file in
the same (ecb) frame.

Recently, however, emacs has started to open the file in a different
frame, i.e. the ecb frame keeps showing the *grep* buffer.

I am a bit lost as to what may have caused this, or how I can change it
back.

Anyone able to help?

Best,
-Nikolaus

* RE: Frame for opening rgrep links?
@ 2014-11-09 22:44 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2014-11-09 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolaus Rath, help-gnu-emacs

> I typically use Emacs with two frames, one "regular" frame and one
> opened by ecb.
>
> Until a little while ago, running M-x rgrep in the ecb frame and
> clicking on one of the matches in the *grep* buffer opened the file
> in the same (ecb) frame.
>
> Recently, however, emacs has started to open the file in a different
> frame, i.e. the ecb frame keeps showing the *grep* buffer.
>
> I am a bit lost as to what may have caused this, or how I can change
> it back.

Sounds like the window for buffer *grep* is a dedicated window.

Check your values of options `special-display-buffer-names' and
`special-display-regexps'.

Or if you use only option `display-buffer-alist' then check its
value - see the doc for an explanation of this complicated option.
See also the doc of `display-buffer', which you'll need to understand
the doc of `display-buffer-alist' .  Look for an entry that
corresponds by name or regexp etc. to `*grep*' or `*compile*'.

* Re: Frame for opening rgrep links?
@ 2014-11-09 23:30   ` Nikolaus Rath
From: Nikolaus Rath @ 2014-11-09 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams, help-gnu-emacs

On 11/09/2014 02:44 PM, Drew Adams wrote:
>> I typically use Emacs with two frames, one "regular" frame and one
>> opened by ecb.
>>
>> Until a little while ago, running M-x rgrep in the ecb frame and
>> clicking on one of the matches in the *grep* buffer opened the file
>> in the same (ecb) frame.
>>
>> Recently, however, emacs has started to open the file in a different
>> frame, i.e. the ecb frame keeps showing the *grep* buffer.
>>
>> I am a bit lost as to what may have caused this, or how I can change
>> it back.
>
> Sounds like the window for buffer *grep* is a dedicated window.
>
> Check your values of options `special-display-buffer-names' and
> `special-display-regexps'.

special-display-buffer-names is a variable defined in `window.el'.
Its value is nil

special-display-regexps is a variable defined in `window.el'.
Its value is nil

> Or if you use only option `display-buffer-alist' then check its
> value - see the doc for an explanation of this complicated option.
> See also the doc of `display-buffer', which you'll need to understand
> the doc of `display-buffer-alist' .  Look for an entry that
> corresponds by name or regexp etc. to `*grep*' or `*compile*'.

I don't seem to have a "display-buffer-alist" option (Emacs 23.4.1).

Anything I could look at?

Thanks!

@ 2014-11-09 23:55     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2014-11-09 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolaus Rath, help-gnu-emacs

> > Sounds like the window for buffer *grep* is a dedicated window.
> >
> > Check your values of options `special-display-buffer-names' and
> > `special-display-regexps'.
>
> special-display-buffer-names is a variable defined in `window.el'.
> Its value is nil
>
> special-display-regexps is a variable defined in `window.el'.
> Its value is nil
>
> > Or if you use only option `display-buffer-alist' then check its
> > value - see the doc for an explanation of this complicated option.
> > See also the doc of `display-buffer', which you'll need to
> understand
> > the doc of `display-buffer-alist' .  Look for an entry that
> > corresponds by name or regexp etc. to `*grep*' or `*compile*'.
>
> I don't seem to have a "display-buffer-alist" option (Emacs 23.4.1).
>
> Anything I could look at?

I should have said to first check whether the window for `*grep*'
is in fact dedicated.  With your cursor in that window, do this:
`M-: (window-dedicated-p (selected-window))'.  If it says `t'
then the window is dedicated; if is says `nil' then it is not.

Perhaps someone else has another suggestion, if it is not
dedicated.  If it is, then you will need to look further to find
out why.

Normally, in Emacs 23, one of those two `special-display-*' options
is used to automatically make a buffer be displayed in a dedicated
window.  But code can also call `set-window-dedicated-p' explicitly
to make it so.

You can also use `M-: (special-display-p (buffer-name))', to
see whether the buffer is special-display (which implies that it
is displayed in a dedicated window).  If the displayed value is
anything other than `nil' then it is.

Again, perhaps someone else has another suggestion.

* Re: Frame for opening rgrep links?
@ 2014-11-10  0:11       ` Nikolaus Rath
From: Nikolaus Rath @ 2014-11-10  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams, help-gnu-emacs

On 11/09/2014 03:55 PM, Drew Adams wrote:
>>> Sounds like the window for buffer *grep* is a dedicated window.
>>>
>>> Check your values of options `special-display-buffer-names' and
>>> `special-display-regexps'.
>>
>> special-display-buffer-names is a variable defined in `window.el'.
>> Its value is nil
>>
>> special-display-regexps is a variable defined in `window.el'.
>> Its value is nil
>>
>>> Or if you use only option `display-buffer-alist' then check its
>>> value - see the doc for an explanation of this complicated option.
>>> See also the doc of `display-buffer', which you'll need to
>> understand
>>> the doc of `display-buffer-alist' .  Look for an entry that
>>> corresponds by name or regexp etc. to `*grep*' or `*compile*'.
>>
>> I don't seem to have a "display-buffer-alist" option (Emacs 23.4.1).
>>
>> Anything I could look at?
>
> I should have said to first check whether the window for `*grep*'
> is in fact dedicated.  With your cursor in that window, do this:
> `M-: (window-dedicated-p (selected-window))'.  If it says `t'
> then the window is dedicated; if is says `nil' then it is not.
>
> Perhaps someone else has another suggestion, if it is not
> dedicated.  If it is, then you will need to look further to find
> out why.

Unfortunately it's nil..

Any other ideas, anyone?

@ 2014-11-16 19:26 ` Nikolaus Rath
From: Nikolaus Rath @ 2014-11-16 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org> writes:
> Hello,
>
> I typically use Emacs with two frames, one "regular" frame and one
> opened by ecb.
>
> Until a little while ago, running M-x rgrep in the ecb frame and
> clicking on one of the matches in the *grep* buffer opened the file in
> the same (ecb) frame.
>
> Recently, however, emacs has started to open the file in a different
> frame, i.e. the ecb frame keeps showing the *grep* buffer.
>
> I am a bit lost as to what may have caused this, or how I can change it
> back.
>
> Anyone able to help?

I finally figured it out, the reason was a changed default value for
split-height-threshold.

Best,
-Nikolaus