all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Switching between buffers in split windows
@ 2002-10-17 11:44 Felix E. Klee
From: Felix E. Klee @ 2002-10-17 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I already asked this on comp.emacs a couple of days ago but got only one

Often, I split an EMACS window horizontally into two windows to edit two
different portions of the same buffer *A*. Sometimes, I need to temporarily
switch to another buffer *B* via "C-x b" in one of the windows. This works
fine and quick. However, hitting "C-x b" again doesn't return me to where I
came from, but instead displays another buffer *C* because *A* is already
displayed. Of course, this is how it's supposed to work, but I want to
change that behavior:

How do I make "C-x b" redisplay the portion of *A* that I was editing
previously?

Felix

* Re: Switching between buffers in split windows
@ 2002-10-17 13:31 ` Tom Capey
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tom Capey @ 2002-10-17 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Felix E. Klee <felix.klee@inka.de> writes:

> Often, I split an EMACS window horizontally into two windows to edit two
> different portions of the same buffer *A*. Sometimes, I need to temporarily
> switch to another buffer *B* via "C-x b" in one of the windows. This works
> fine and quick. However, hitting "C-x b" again doesn't return me to where I
> came from, but instead displays another buffer *C* because *A* is already
> displayed. Of course, this is how it's supposed to work, but I want to
> change that behavior:

> How do I make "C-x b" redisplay the portion of *A* that I was editing
> previously?

  you could try saving the window configuration before you go off
  to look at the other buffer `window-configuration-to-register'

(where-is 'window-configuration-to-register)

-| window-configuration-to-register is on C-x r w

(describe-function 'window-configuration-to-register)

-| window-configuration-to-register is an interactive compiled
-| Lisp function in `register'.
-| (window-configuration-to-register REGISTER &optional ARG)
-|
-| Store the window configuration of the selected frame in
-| register REGISTER.  Use C-x r j to restore the configuration.
-| Argument is a character, naming the register.

/Tom
--
"...and so, as I notice the eternal flame of hope has just been put
out by the fire officer of destiny with the sand bucket of fate..."

* Re: Switching between buffers in split windows
@ 2002-10-18  2:23 ` Galen Boyer
From: Galen Boyer @ 2002-10-18  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, felix.klee@inka.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I already asked this on comp.emacs a couple of days ago but got only
> one reply via email from someone who misunderstood my post. Now, the
> message:
>
> Often, I split an EMACS window horizontally into two windows to edit
> two different portions of the same buffer *A*. Sometimes, I need to
> temporarily switch to another buffer *B* via "C-x b" in one of the
> windows. This works fine and quick. However, hitting "C-x b" again
> doesn't return me to where I came from, but instead displays another
> buffer *C* because *A* is already displayed. Of course, this is how
> it's supposed to work, but I want to change that behavior:
>
> How do I make "C-x b" redisplay the portion of *A* that I was editing
> previously?

Maybe a different tack might do the trick?

C-x 5 b [buffer-name]

Then, C-x 5 0 to kill that frame and return to your original
configuration.

--
Galen deForest Boyer

* Re: Switching between buffers in split windows
@ 2002-10-18 10:06 ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2002-10-18 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Felix E. Klee" <felix.klee@inka.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I already asked this on comp.emacs a couple of days ago but got only one
>
> Often, I split an EMACS window horizontally into two windows to edit two
> different portions of the same buffer *A*. Sometimes, I need to temporarily
> switch to another buffer *B* via "C-x b" in one of the windows. This works
> fine and quick. However, hitting "C-x b" again doesn't return me to where I
> came from, but instead displays another buffer *C* because *A* is already
> displayed. Of course, this is how it's supposed to work, but I want to
> change that behavior:
>
> How do I make "C-x b" redisplay the portion of *A* that I was editing
> previously?
[...]

You could activate `winner-mode' (q. v.) and then switch back to the
previous window-configuration with C-x <left>. This is how I do this.

    -- Oliver

--
27 Vendémiaire an 211 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!

* Re: Switching between buffers in split windows
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-10-18 10:58 ` Mac
From: Mac @ 2002-10-18 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

En dag, närmare bestämt 2002-10-17, plitade Felix E. Klee ner:

> Often, I split an EMACS window horizontally into two windows to edit
> two different portions of the same buffer *A*. Sometimes, I need to
> temporarily switch to another buffer *B* via "C-x b" in one of the
> windows. This works fine and quick. However, hitting "C-x b" again
> doesn't return me to where I came from, but instead displays another
> buffer *C* because *A* is already displayed.

Not answering your question, but...

I use 'iswitchb-buffer-other-frame' (or
'switch-to-buffer-other-frame') to show the temporary file. Now
killing this frame does not affect the first two buffers.

> How do I make "C-x b" redisplay the portion of *A* that I was
> editing previously?

Here I have a *litle* help with finding the right buffer with
'iswitchb-buffer', which reduces the number of keys I have to press.

/mac

--
.signature: No such file or directory