all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#59455: 29.0.50; Treesit font lock changes unrelated code
@ 2022-11-21 20:12 Theodor Thornhill via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Theodor Thornhill via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2022-11-21 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 59455; +Cc: casouri

Hi Yuan!

I've noticed some strange behavior with font-lock lately in c-ts-mode,
and also in all the other ts modes.

to reproduce:

emacs -Q

C-x C-f foo.c RET

Insert this:

```
/* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
/* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
/* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
/* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
/* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
/* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
/* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
/* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
/* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */

int
foo (void)
{
  return 5;
}

int
foo (void)
{
  if (x)
    {
      return 5;
    }
}

int
foo (void)
{
  return 5;
}
```

M-x c-ts-mode RET

Now on the first line, repeatedly press 'M-c' (capitalize-word) and
watch the highlights of the rest of the file jump around.  Then try
undoing the changes by repeatedly pressing 'C-/' until you are back at
the state right after the first insert.  Now highlights are messed up.

I'm not sure where to start looking for this, but I do remember there
being some issues in Eglot with these "multi-edit" commands.

If you have some pointers for where to look I can dig around :)

Theo

* bug#59455: 29.0.50; Treesit font lock changes unrelated code
  2022-11-21 20:12 bug#59455: 29.0.50; Treesit font lock changes unrelated code Theodor Thornhill via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
@ 2022-11-22 10:05 ` Yuan Fu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Yuan Fu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2022-11-22 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodor Thornhill; +Cc: 59455

Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no> writes:

> Hi Yuan!
>
> I've noticed some strange behavior with font-lock lately in c-ts-mode,
> and also in all the other ts modes.
>
> to reproduce:
>
> emacs -Q
>
> C-x C-f foo.c RET
>
> Insert this:
>
> ```
> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
>
> int
> foo (void)
> {
>   return 5;
> }
>
> int
> foo (void)
> {
>   if (x)
>     {
>       return 5;
>     }
> }
>
> int
> foo (void)
> {
>   return 5;
> }
> ```
>
> M-x c-ts-mode RET
>
> Now on the first line, repeatedly press 'M-c' (capitalize-word) and
> watch the highlights of the rest of the file jump around.  Then try
> undoing the changes by repeatedly pressing 'C-/' until you are back at
> the state right after the first insert.  Now highlights are messed up.
>
> I'm not sure where to start looking for this, but I do remember there
> being some issues in Eglot with these "multi-edit" commands.
>
> If you have some pointers for where to look I can dig around :)

Thanks for the catch! It is due to tree-sitter not correctly recording
changes in casefiddle.c. I’ve fixed it now. Now you can Lol as much as
your heart desire.

Yuan

* bug#59455: 29.0.50; Treesit font lock changes unrelated code
@ 2022-11-22 11:03   ` Theodor Thornhill via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Theodor Thornhill via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2022-11-22 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuan Fu; +Cc: 59455

On 22 November 2022 11:05:50 CET, Yuan Fu <yuf011@ucsd.edu> wrote:

>Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no> writes:
>
>> Hi Yuan!
>>
>> I've noticed some strange behavior with font-lock lately in c-ts-mode,
>> and also in all the other ts modes.
>>
>> to reproduce:
>>
>> emacs -Q
>>
>> C-x C-f foo.c RET
>>
>> Insert this:
>>
>> ```
>> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
>> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
>> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
>> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
>> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
>> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
>> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
>> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
>> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
>>
>> int
>> foo (void)
>> {
>>   return 5;
>> }
>>
>> int
>> foo (void)
>> {
>>   if (x)
>>     {
>>       return 5;
>>     }
>> }
>>
>> int
>> foo (void)
>> {
>>   return 5;
>> }
>> ```
>>
>> M-x c-ts-mode RET
>>
>> Now on the first line, repeatedly press 'M-c' (capitalize-word) and
>> watch the highlights of the rest of the file jump around.  Then try
>> undoing the changes by repeatedly pressing 'C-/' until you are back at
>> the state right after the first insert.  Now highlights are messed up.
>>
>> I'm not sure where to start looking for this, but I do remember there
>> being some issues in Eglot with these "multi-edit" commands.
>>
>> If you have some pointers for where to look I can dig around :)
>
>Thanks for the catch! It is due to tree-sitter not correctly recording
>changes in casefiddle.c. I’ve fixed it now.

> Now you can Lol as much as your heart desire.

Don't you always capitalize lols at the top of your files?

@ 2022-11-23 18:33 ` Yuan Fu
From: Yuan Fu @ 2022-11-23 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodor Thornhill; +Cc: 59455-done, yuf011

Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no> writes:

> On 22 November 2022 11:05:50 CET, Yuan Fu <yuf011@ucsd.edu> wrote:
>>
>>Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Yuan!
>>>
>>> I've noticed some strange behavior with font-lock lately in c-ts-mode,
>>> and also in all the other ts modes.
>>>
>>> to reproduce:
>>>
>>> emacs -Q
>>>
>>> C-x C-f foo.c RET
>>>
>>> Insert this:
>>>
>>> ```
>>> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
>>> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
>>> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
>>> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
>>> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
>>> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
>>> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
>>> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
>>> /* lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol */
>>>
>>> int
>>> foo (void)
>>> {
>>>   return 5;
>>> }
>>>
>>> int
>>> foo (void)
>>> {
>>>   if (x)
>>>     {
>>>       return 5;
>>>     }
>>> }
>>>
>>> int
>>> foo (void)
>>> {
>>>   return 5;
>>> }
>>> ```
>>>
>>> M-x c-ts-mode RET
>>>
>>> Now on the first line, repeatedly press 'M-c' (capitalize-word) and
>>> watch the highlights of the rest of the file jump around.  Then try
>>> undoing the changes by repeatedly pressing 'C-/' until you are back at
>>> the state right after the first insert.  Now highlights are messed up.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure where to start looking for this, but I do remember there
>>> being some issues in Eglot with these "multi-edit" commands.
>>>
>>> If you have some pointers for where to look I can dig around :)
>>
>>Thanks for the catch! It is due to tree-sitter not correctly recording
>>changes in casefiddle.c. I’ve fixed it now.
>

>> Now you can Lol as much as your heart desire.
>
> Don't you always capitalize lols at the top of your files?

I should do it more, heard that it’s a good warm-up for programming :-)
Closing.

Yuan