all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs build broken?
@ 2010-01-28  7:44 rustom
From: rustom @ 2010-01-28  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I did  (for a emacs 23 build)
$cvs update -dP
$make distclean
make bootstrap
After a lot of grinding it stops at (last few lines)

Generating autoloads for mail/rmailmm.el...
Generating autoloads for mail/rmailmsc.el...
Generating autoloads for mail/rmailout.el...
Generating autoloads for mail/rmailout.el...done
Generating autoloads for mail/rmailsort.el...
Generating autoloads for mail/rmailsum.el...
End of file during parsing
make[3]: *** [autoloads] Error 255
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/siva/pdsw/emacs/lisp'
make[2]: *** [/home/siva/pdsw/emacs/src/../lisp/loaddefs.el] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/siva/pdsw/emacs/src'
make[1]: *** [src] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/siva/pdsw/emacs'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

When I did downloaded a fresh tar.bz2 of 23.1 it has compiled ok.
So I guess this is a broken build.

So ok... during development builds can break.
My question is how do I do a cvs update (rather than a full download)
and yet stay with relatively stable emacs versions?

* Re: emacs build broken?
@ 2010-01-28  7:57 ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2010-01-28  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 28, 12:44 pm, rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I did  (for a emacs 23 build)
> $cvs update -dP
> $make distclean
> make bootstrap

I forgot to mention that I did the configure step as well (there would
be no make without it)

 ./configure --with-x-toolkit=gtk --prefix=$HOME/local

* Re: emacs build broken?
@ 2010-01-28  8:50   ` José A. Romero L.
From: José A. Romero L. @ 2010-01-28  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 28 Sty, 08:57, rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 28, 12:44 pm, rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I did  (for a emacs 23 build)
> > $cvs update -dP
(...)

Didn't emacs move to bazaar for good? (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/
BzrForEmacsDevs)

--
José A. Romero L.
escherdragon at gmail.com
"We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals."
(Quarry worker's creed)

* Re: emacs build broken?
@ 2010-01-29  4:50     ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2010-01-29  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 28, 1:50 pm, José A. Romero L. <escherdra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 Sty, 08:57, rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> wrote:> On Jan 28, 12:44 pm, rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I did  (for a emacs 23 build)
> > > $cvs update -dP
>
> (...)
>
> Didn't emacs move to bazaar for good? (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/
> BzrForEmacsDevs)

Heh! And 'bout time! (You meant to give another link I guess?)

The other day I read a nice post http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2009/03/30/emacs-dired-rename-files.html
which shows a neat way to rename files in dired.

Poking around there I also learnt that EMACS is the Editor for Middle
Aged Computer Scientists :-(
If we stuck around with things like cvs a bit longer the other part of
the acronym will also become true (GNU = Generally Not Used)
He also (see http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2008/04/16/ )

* Re: emacs build broken?
@ 2010-01-29  5:44       ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2010-01-29  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 29, 9:50 am, rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 28, 1:50 pm, José A. Romero L. <escherdra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > (...)
>
> > Didn't emacs move to bazaar for good? (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/
> > BzrForEmacsDevs)
> (...)
> If we stuck around with things like cvs a bit longer the other part of
> the acronym will also become true (GNU = Generally Not Used)
> He also (seehttp://johnbokma.com/mexit/2008/04/16/)

Ok so

http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/emacs/trunk/files

seems broken

I wonder which is worse and antediluvian cvs or a broken bzr?

* Re: emacs build broken?
@ 2010-01-29  6:00         ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2010-01-29  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jan 29, 9:50 am, rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 28, 1:50 pm, José A. Romero L. <escherdra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > (...)
>>
>> > Didn't emacs move to bazaar for good? (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/
>> > BzrForEmacsDevs)
>> (...)
>> If we stuck around with things like cvs a bit longer the other part of
>> the acronym will also become true (GNU = Generally Not Used)
>> He also (seehttp://johnbokma.com/mexit/2008/04/16/)
>
> Ok so
>
> http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/emacs/trunk/files
>
> seems broken
>
> I wonder which is worse and antediluvian cvs or a broken bzr?

I've pulled down the emacs bzr repository both today and yesterday
on different machines (i.e. full/heave bzr checkout) and it works fine.

Note that the URL for the bzr checkout is

http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk/

while

http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/emacs/trunk/

is the log head for browsing the repository, which may well be broken.
(the difference is /r/ in one and /lh/ in the other).

On both systems, emacs built without errors. The initial heavy checkout
does take a while i.e. 20+ minutes on a fairly fast conneciton. However,
after that, updates are quite fast.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: emacs build broken?
@ 2010-01-29  9:43       ` José A. Romero L.
From: José A. Romero L. @ 2010-01-29  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 29 Sty, 05:50, rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > (...)
>
> > Didn't emacs move to bazaar for good? (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/
> > BzrForEmacsDevs)
>
> Heh! And 'bout time! (You meant to give another link I guess?)
(...)

Yes, it got accidentally truncated:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs

(hope it doesn't happen this time)