all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Maildir folder nnmaildir problem
@ 2009-11-28 19:30 Rthoreau
From: Rthoreau @ 2009-11-28 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am having a problem getting Emacs and Gnus configured to let me read
mail
with nnmaildir and a Maildir mail box.

I am using Opensuse with Emacs 23.1.1 for X86_64 I already have
fetchmail
setup, as well as msmtp. I can send mail with gnus, and my Maildir has
messages in it from receiving it from fetchmail. It goes something
like
described below.

Fetchmail ---> Procmail ---> Maildir

Outgoing works great something like this.

Gnus ---> msmtp ---> world

Of course emacswiki, and a group search has so far not given me an
answer.
Below is what is written in the message area and tells me that my Gnus
server
cannot open Maildir. I also tried to copy a message into a new group
and it
would not allow me to do it.
--------
Opening nnmaildir server on Maildir...failed
No such group: nnmaildir+mymailbox:test.  Create it? (y or n)
gnus-read-move-group-name: Couldn't create group nnmaildir
+mymailbox:test
Auto-saving...
Quit
Couldn't open Maildir
-------
This was taken from emacswiki for the procmail setup, which shows my
gnus.el
file. I have tried to modify it a few times by changing the name of
"mymailbox"
to something else but I still have the same problem.
------
;;; nnmaildir procmail settings
(setq

        gnus-select-method '(nnmaildir "mymailbox" (directory "~/
Maildir/"))
        mail-sources '((maildir :path "~/Maildir/" :subdirs ("cur"
"new")))
        mail-source-delete-incoming t
 )
 (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods nil)
 (setq gnus-message-archive-group "nnmaildir+mymailbox:outbox")
;;;
------
I also have this in my gnus server buffer.
  {nnfolder:archive} (opened)

No where in my .init.el, or gnus.el files do I have any setting set
for
nnfolder.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Rthoreau

* Re: Maildir folder nnmaildir problem
@ 2009-11-29  3:35 ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2009-11-29  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Since you use fetchmai to handle mail retrieving and deliver to Maildir
directly, you only need:

,----
| (setq gnus-select-method '(nnmaildir "mymailbox" (directory "~/
| Maildir/")))
`----

Then you may need to browse nnmaildir server to subscribe to groups.

nnfolder is the default archive method if you did set otherwise
correctly.

You can try:
,----
| setq (gnus-message-archive-method "nnmaildir+mymailbox:"
| 	    gnus-update-message-archive-method t
| 	    gnus-message-archive-group '((if (message-news-p)
|           "nnmaildir+mymailbox:sent-news" "nnmaildir+mymalbox:sent-mail")))
`----

* Re: Maildir folder nnmaildir problem
@ 2009-11-29 19:32   ` Rthoreau
From: Rthoreau @ 2009-11-29 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 28, 9:35 pm, CHENG Gao <cheng...@cyberhut.org> wrote:
> Since you use fetchmai to handle mail retrieving and deliver to Maildir
> directly, you only need:
>
> ,----
> | (setq gnus-select-method '(nnmaildir "mymailbox" (directory "~/
> | Maildir/")))
> `----
>
> Then you may need to browse nnmaildir server to subscribe to groups.
>
> nnfolder is the default archive method if you did set otherwise
> correctly.
>
> You can try:
> ,----
> | setq (gnus-message-archive-method "nnmaildir+mymailbox:"
> |           gnus-update-message-archive-method t
> |           gnus-message-archive-group '((if (message-news-p)
> |           "nnmaildir+mymailbox:sent-news" "nnmaildir+mymalbox:sent-mail")))
> `----

I decided to add some debug info into my .gnus.el file and it seems
that nnmaildir is not being loaded at all.  Here are the relevant
lines of debug code. It looks like it is reading the file with
nnfolder, and does not even use nnmaildir maybe something else needs
to be configured.
-------------------------
Reading /home/llacr/.newsrc.eld...
Reading active file from news.gmane.org via nntp...
Reading active file from nnmaildir+llacrbox: via nnfolder...
Opening nnfolder server on nnmaildir+llacrbox:...done
Reading active file from nnmaildir+llacrbox: via nnfolder...done
No new newsgroups
Checking new news...
Opening nndoc server on gnus-help...done
Checking new news...done
Connecting to nnmaildir+llacrbox:...
Reading active file...done
Connecting to nnmaildir+llacrbox:...done
-------------------------

I did try your suggestions, and will provide what my .gnus.el looks
like.

;;; nnmaildir procmail settings
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnmaildir ""))
;;;
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnmaildir "llacrbox" (directory "~/
Maildir/")))
        mail-sources '((maildir :path "~/Maildir/" :subdirs ("cur"
"new")))
        mail-source-delete-incoming t
;;;
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods nil)
(setq gnus-message-archive-method "nnmaildir+llacrbox:"
	   gnus-update-message-archive-method t
           gnus-message-archive-group '((if (message-news-p)
           "nnmaildir+llacrbox:sent-news" "nnmaildir+llacrbox:sent-
mail")))
;;;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;; NNTP Servers
;;;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
(setq smtpmail-debug-info t)
(setq smtpmail-debug-verb t )
-------------------------
This is what I see in my server gnus buffer.

{nnfolder:nnmaildir+llacrbox:} (opened)
     {nndoc:gnus-help} (opened)
     {nntp:news.gmane.org} (opened) (agent)

I did delete the .newsrc.eld file when I made the major changes as you
can see I don't even get the nnmaildir group to even click on.  But I
think it is due to the fact the nnfolder is doing all the work.  The
only reason I choose nnmaildir and Maildir, is the fact that is where
procmail, and fetchmail were depositing my messages.  I could tell
procmail to use the other folder but I was debating if dovecot would
be useful as I do have a gmail account which is imap capable.  I also
was using fetchmail before setting up procmail and fetchmail defaulted
to the Maildir and so I just followed procmail as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far I appreciate the time you take
to reply.

@ 2009-11-30 10:42     ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2009-11-30 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I think your setting is buggy. You set gnus-secondary-select-methods to nil.

You can try (exactly):

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnmaildir "llacrbox" (directory "~/Maildir/")))

--
Totus mundus agit histrionem

* Re: Maildir folder nnmaildir problem
@ 2009-12-02  3:55       ` Rthoreau
From: Rthoreau @ 2009-12-02  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 30, 4:42 am, CHENG Gao <cheng...@cyberhut.org> wrote:
> I think your setting is buggy. You set gnus-secondary-select-methods to nil.
>
> You can try (exactly):
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnmaildir "llacrbox" (directory "~/Maildir/")))
>
> (setq gnus-message-archive-method "nnmaildir+llacrbox:"
>           gnus-update-message-archive-method t
>       gnus-message-archive-group '((if (message-news-p)
>       "nnmaildir+llacrbox:sent-news"
>           "nnmaildir+llacrbox:sent-mail")))
>
> --
> Totus mundus agit histrionem

When I use your code with no other options I get an error byte-code:
Wrong type argument: listp, nnmaildir.  Also when I deactivate
everything but the gnus-secondary-select-methods I get the same error
as posted before and when I check the Message buffer I get these
errors.

Opening nnmaildir server...
Denied server nnmaildir
Opening nnmaildir server...failed

It makes me wonder if I need to install Emacs from source as I am
beginning to think that the package is at fault.

@ 2009-12-02  8:26         ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2009-12-02  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Now I begin to suspect if your Maildir dirs are real maildirs. Have you
tested reading Maildir with other mail clients successfully?

* Re: Maildir folder nnmaildir problem
@ 2009-12-05  2:49           ` Rthoreau
From: Rthoreau @ 2009-12-05  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 2, 2:26 am, CHENG Gao <cheng...@cyberhut.org> wrote:
> Now I begin to suspect if your Maildir dirs are real maildirs. Have you
> tested reading Maildir with other mail clients successfully?

I was thinking about using mutt but I decided to wait to see if I can
get Gnus working correctly.  So far I am getting not much response and
looking at the documentation on Opensuse and Maildir seems to be very
short.  I would say almost no documentation on setting up Maildir is
available.  I am debating if I need to install from cvs, or a snapshot
to double check could be a package problem.  I also don't get my Gnus
menu items to work at all.  I am open to all suggestions, even a
different backend if it works.

@ 2009-12-05 15:15             ` harven
From: harven @ 2009-12-05 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rthoreau <rthoreau@iwon.com> writes:

> On Dec 2, 2:26 am, CHENG Gao <cheng...@cyberhut.org> wrote:
>> Now I begin to suspect if your Maildir dirs are real maildirs. Have you
>> tested reading Maildir with other mail clients successfully?
>
> I was thinking about using mutt but I decided to wait to see if I can
> get Gnus working correctly.  So far I am getting not much response and
> looking at the documentation on Opensuse and Maildir seems to be very
> short.  I would say almost no documentation on setting up Maildir is
> available.  I am debating if I need to install from cvs, or a snapshot
> to double check could be a package problem.  I also don't get my Gnus
> menu items to work at all.

There was a problem a few weeks ago about an emacs23 gtk bug not handling
well some menus. This has been repaired in cvs. To be precise, the problem
is with 23.1+1.4 and it has been solved in 23.1.4+1.5.

 As a workaround, you can still access to the menu with F10 and then
pressing arrows to reach the menu. Or set the following before starting emacs
export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1