I use only tabs for indenting while programming with 'indent-tabs-mode'. Also while programming I use 'align' to line up variables etc. Align uses tabs and spaces to align to tab-stops and I just want it to use spaces. "align lines up text in selected region, using whitespaces (or tabs) as the column delimiter" -- http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AlignCommands I'm looking for a way to use only tabs for indentation while using only spaces for alignment. Luke Hoersten http://Luke.Hoersten.org On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 8:40 AM, Nikolaj Schumacher wrote: > "Luke Hoersten" wrote: > > > I've been Googling around for quite some time and have been unable to > find a > > way to use tabs for indentation and spaces for alignment ('M-x align'). I > > know how to set emacs to use either spaces or tabs. I've got tabs only > right > > now for indentation (for work standards) but I don't want to use the mix > tab > > + spaces for alignment. > > I don't quite understand when you want to use either. Do you want to > use tabs when programming and spaces when writing text? > > regards, > Nikolaj Schumacher >