all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Status of Group buffer
@ 2012-10-16 19:46 Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2012-10-16 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

I'm wondering, for some time, why the Group buffer is like if it was a
"Modified" buffer (see `**' in the modeline). Shouldn't it be read-only
instead (`%') like Dired?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Status of Group buffer
@ 2012-10-17 17:07 ` Jeremiah Dodds
       [not found] ` <mailman.11174.1350493764.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeremiah Dodds @ 2012-10-17 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering, for some time, why the Group buffer is like if it was a
> "Modified" buffer (see `**' in the modeline). Shouldn't it be read-only
> instead (`%') like Dired?
>
> Best regards,
>   Seb

Are you talking about the Group buffer in Gnus, or a different Group buffer?

--
Jeremiah Dodds

blog       : http://jdodds.github.com
github     : https://github.com/jdodds
freenode   : exhortatory
twitter    : kaens

* Re: Status of Group buffer
       [not found] ` <mailman.11174.1350493764.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-10-17 18:11   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2012-10-17 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Jeremiah,

Jeremiah Dodds wrote:
> "Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>
>> I'm wondering, for some time, why the Group buffer is like if it was a
>> "Modified" buffer (see `**' in the modeline). Shouldn't it be read-only
>> instead (`%') like Dired?
>
> Are you talking about the Group buffer in Gnus, or a different Group buffer?

Yep, the Gnus Group buffer.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Status of Group buffer
       [not found] ` <mailman.11174.1350493764.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-10-18  6:47 ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found] ` <mailman.11201.1350542874.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-10-18  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Sebastien Vauban"
<wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

Hi Seb,

> I'm wondering, for some time, why the Group buffer is like if it was a
> "Modified" buffer (see `**' in the modeline). Shouldn't it be
> read-only instead (`%') like Dired?

The ** indicates that there are changes that haven't been saved to your
~/.newsrc.eld yet.  Hit `s' in *Group*, and the ** will go away.

If you quit gnus uncleanly (e.g. simply kill *Group*) when there's the
** mark, you'll be queried if gnus should read the auto-saved dribble
file at the next startup.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Status of Group buffer
       [not found] ` <mailman.11201.1350542874.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-10-19  9:42   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2012-10-19  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Tassilo,

Tassilo Horn wrote:
> "Sebastien Vauban" writes:
>
> Hi Seb,
>
>> I'm wondering, for some time, why the Group buffer is like if it was a
>> "Modified" buffer (see `**' in the modeline). Shouldn't it be
>> read-only instead (`%') like Dired?
>
> The ** indicates that there are changes that haven't been saved to your
> ~/.newsrc.eld yet.  Hit `s' in *Group*, and the ** will go away.
>
> If you quit gnus uncleanly (e.g. simply kill *Group*) when there's the
> ** mark, you'll be queried if gnus should read the auto-saved dribble
> file at the next startup.

That does make a lot of sense. Thanks for enlightening me!

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban