all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org>
To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org
Subject: Emacs 24.1 / 24.2 crashes
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 10:41:58 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello,

Recently, without apparent reasons, I've many crashes of Emacs (daily, a
couple of crashes).

There does not seem to be more or less crashes in Emacs 24.1 or Emacs 24.2 (on
Windows XP). I got the executables from there:

- Emacs 24.1 (http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/emacs-24.1-rc-bin-i386.zip) or
- Emacs 24.2 (http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-20120917-r110062-bin-i386.zip).

Both have crashes, /often/ when filling in my regexp pattern for `helm-files',
but /not necessarily/ (sometimes in Gnus, sometimes at other moments).

_Often_ Emacs is just blocked, and C-g can't help me. I simply have to kill
Emacs from the Task Manager.

_Sometimes_, though, I have an Emacs abort dialog, something like:

    ╭────
    │ type "gdb -p PID" from a shell prompt. Then, when GDB shows its prompt,
    │ type "continue".
    ╰────

I had such a crash this morning, then applied the above recipe. I've no
experience in running a debugger, but here's what I could come up with:

$ gdb -p 8696
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.5.50.20120815-cvs (cygwin-special)
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-cygwin".
Attaching to process 8696
[New Thread 8696.0x190c]
[New Thread 8696.0x1b7c]
[New Thread 8696.0x27f4]
Reading symbols from /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Emacs-24.2/bin/emacs.exe...done.
(gdb) continue
Continuing.

Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
[Switching to Thread 8696.0x190c]
0x7c91120f in ntdll!DbgUiConnectToDbg () from /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/ntdll.dll
(gdb) c
Continuing.
[Inferior 1 (process 8696) exited with code 02]
(gdb) quit

Is that of any use?  Do I have to do something else in such cases?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban