all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
To: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
Cc: 31815@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#31815: 27.0; Inappropriate use of curly quotes in `info.el'
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 08:57:03 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

> > In `info.el' there are three occurrences of this (these are curly
> > quotes, in case that doesn't come through in the bug-report system):
> >
> >   Index for '%s'
> >
> > They were all changed from this text:
> >
> >   Index for `%s'
> >
> > The latter text should be restored.
>
> I don't understand what's so special in these 3 occurrences.
> Info
  ^^^^
> buffers are full of curly quotes; the commands that use the above
> generate Info buffers from portions of other Info buffers, and add a
> header line.  So why should the header lines use different style of
> quotes from the rest of the buffer?

I just got a copy of the control msg for this bug, saying
that it has been closed (I haven't received the usual help
msg for the bug filer saying that it was closed, however.)

The bug report was about the occurrence of such curly quotes
in the Lisp sources (`info.el'), not about their appearance
in Info files.  So your reply does not make sense to me.

I don't know an easy way to find all such occurrences in the
Lisp sources, since such chars cannot be searched for using
the `grep' I have.  There may well be other occurrences,
in subdirs of dir `lisp/'.

Bug #31807 has additional information about why this is
problematic: in some contexts one cannot easily copy+paste
source code that contains such chars.  In bug #31807 I
describe how I was bitten by this when trying to submit
a bug report.
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31807#20