all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Wrong keys binding to exit Emacs?
       [not found] <48891036.3000103@alice.it>
@ 2008-07-25 14:45 ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2008-07-25 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Since the previous post seems to be lost, I re-try:

@ 2008-07-25 14:56   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-07-25 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: emacs-devel

Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> Since the previous post seems to be lost, I re-try:
>

> Angelo Graziosi ha scritto:
>> In the current trunk, the menu File contains
>>
>> Exit Emacs  C-x C-q
>>
>> But C-x C-q changes the current buffer to be 'read only' and that key
>> sequence does not exit Emacs.
>>
>> Shouldn't it be C-x C-c?

Hm, I wonder if this could be a problem in my patched version of
Emacs+EmacsW32. Are you running that?

I see the problem in my patched version from today, but not in the
latest unpatched version I have here (from 2008-07-16).

* Re: Wrong keys binding to exit Emacs?
@ 2008-07-25 15:19     ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2008-07-25 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: emacs-devel

Lennart Borgman (gmail) ha scritto:
> Angelo Graziosi wrote:
>> Since the previous post seems to be lost, I re-try:
>>

>> Angelo Graziosi ha scritto:
>>> In the current trunk, the menu File contains
>>>
>>> Exit Emacs  C-x C-q
>>>
>>> But C-x C-q changes the current buffer to be 'read only' and that key
>>> sequence does not exit Emacs.
>>>
>>> Shouldn't it be C-x C-c?
>

> Hm, I wonder if this could be a problem in my patched version of
> Emacs+EmacsW32. Are you running that?

No. I see that both on Windows (Cygwin build) and on GNU/Linux Kubuntu 8.04.

I think it is a typo: instead of typing 'c', Dann has typed 'q' and C-x
C-q does not exit but add %% to the current buffer, i.e. it cannot be
modified and C-x C-q toogle the %%.

     Angelo

@ 2008-07-25 15:21       ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-07-25 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: emacs-devel

Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> Lennart Borgman (gmail) ha scritto:
>> Angelo Graziosi wrote:
>>> Since the previous post seems to be lost, I re-try:

>> Hm, I wonder if this could be a problem in my patched version of
>> Emacs+EmacsW32. Are you running that?
>
> No. I see that both on Windows (Cygwin build) and on GNU/Linux Kubuntu
> 8.04.

Thanks.

@ 2008-07-25 16:18     ` Bruce Stephens
From: Bruce Stephens @ 2008-07-25 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> Angelo Graziosi ha scritto:
>> In the current trunk, the menu File contains
>>
>> Exit Emacs  C-x C-q
>>
>> But C-x C-q changes the current buffer to be 'read only' and that
>> key sequence does not exit Emacs.
>>
>> Shouldn't it be C-x C-c?
>
> Hm, I wonder if this could be a problem in my patched version of
> Emacs+EmacsW32. Are you running that?
>
> I see the problem in my patched version from today, but not in the
> latest unpatched version I have here (from 2008-07-16).

That's too old.  The typo is in this change (from the git mirror):

Author: Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu>
Date:   Wed Jul 23 05:58:21 2008 +0000

    * dired.el (dired-mode-map): Show the key binding for wdired.

    * menu-bar.el (menu-bar-file-menu): Show the key binding for
    exiting emacs.