all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Question Regarding Line Number Mode For Working With LSP Mode
@ 2022-05-23 18:15 Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2022-05-23 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg

Hey there,

So I have been tweaking my Emacs config for a better LSP setup for JavaScript development.

However, the newest issue I have come across is that line number mode isn't working as intended, even when I enable it manually in a related JavaScript related buffer for a '.js' file.

Here is my related config:
https://github.com/samuelbanya/samsemacs
https://github.com/SamuelBanya/SamsEmacs/blob/main/configuration.org

Thanks,

Sam

* Re: Question Regarding Line Number Mode For Working With LSP Mode
@ 2022-05-23 18:43 ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2022-05-23 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg

I think I got it fixed actually, I was able to enable line numbers in an LSP activated buffer with 'M-x display-line-numbers-mode'.

Not sure why my config has that off by default but I'm assuming the LSP side of it might have nuked it or something.

Just wanted to share this.

@ 2022-05-25  0:18   ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2022-05-25  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg

My last question is this:
How do I get the function from 'M-x display-line-numbers-mode' to trigger when LSP mode is engaged?

@ 2022-05-25  2:31     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-05-25  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 20:18:24 -0400
> From: "Samuel Banya" <sbanya@fastmail.com>
>
> My last question is this:
> How do I get the function from 'M-x display-line-numbers-mode' to trigger when LSP mode is engaged?

Turn it on in the LSP mode hook.

* Re: Question Regarding Line Number Mode For Working With LSP Mode
@ 2022-05-26 15:47       ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2022-05-26 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg

Hey Eli,

I tried to do this, but unfortunately using ':hook' for LSP mode within my config doesn't work for some reason, check the ':hook' section below (https://github.com/SamuelBanya/SamsEmacs/blob/main/configuration.org)

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (defun ef/lsp-mode-setup ()
    ;; Taken from this 'System Crafters' video:
    ;; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-NAM9U5JYE
    ;; This allows breadcrumb segments to appear in projects
    (setq lsp-headerline-breadcrumb-segments '(path-up-to-project file symbols))
    (lsp-headerline-breadcrumb-mode))

  (use-package lsp-mode
    :ensure t
    :commands (lsp lsp-deferred)
    ;; Taken from this page:
    ;; https://www.mattduck.com/lsp-python-getting-started.html
    :init
    (setq lsp-keymap-prefix "C-c l")
    (add-hook 'c-mode-hook 'lsp)
    (add-hook 'c++-mode-hook 'lsp)
    (add-hook 'python-mode-hook 'lsp)
    (add-hook 'ruby-mode-hook 'lsp)
    (add-hook 'js2-mode-hook 'lsp)
    (add-hook 'typescript-mode-hook 'lsp)
    (add-hook 'web-mode-hook 'lsp)
    (add-hook 'csharp-mode-hook 'lsp)
    (add-hook 'vue-mode-hook 'lsp)
    (add-hook 'yaml-mode-hook 'lsp)
    :hook
    (display-line-numbers-mode)
    :config
    (lsp-enable-which-key-integration t)
    ;; Set 'lsp-idle-delay' to 0.5 seconds for quick autocompletion
    (setq lsp-idle-delay 0.5)
    ;; Adding this to force lsp to auto-guess the root directory of the project:
    (setq lsp-auto-guess-root t))
#+end_src

@ 2022-05-26 16:24         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-05-26 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 11:47:25 -0400
> From: "Samuel Banya" <sbanya@fastmail.com>
>
> Hey Eli,
>
> I tried to do this, but unfortunately using ':hook' for LSP mode within my config doesn't work for some reason, check the ':hook' section below (https://github.com/SamuelBanya/SamsEmacs/blob/main/configuration.org)
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>   (defun ef/lsp-mode-setup ()
>     ;; Taken from this 'System Crafters' video:
>     ;; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-NAM9U5JYE
>     ;; This allows breadcrumb segments to appear in projects
>     (setq lsp-headerline-breadcrumb-segments '(path-up-to-project file symbols))
>     (lsp-headerline-breadcrumb-mode))
>
>   (use-package lsp-mode
>     :ensure t
>     :commands (lsp lsp-deferred)

Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with use-package.

>     :hook
>     (display-line-numbers-mode)

What is the syntax and the semantics of :hook?

* Re: Question Regarding Line Number Mode For Working With LSP Mode
@ 2022-05-26 18:05           ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2022-05-26 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg

I actually got it to work by doing the following revision after the 'use-package' declaration for LSP mode:
(add-hook 'lsp-mode-hook #'display-line-numbers-mode)

Thanks for the help on this.