all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Kendall Shaw <kshaw@kendallshaw.com>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Emacs IDE
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2017 17:40:38 -0800	[thread overview]

On 03/03/2017 05:06 PM, Ahmed Sorour wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently been working more extensively with various coding languages,
> and have developed a need to use IDEs.
>
> Is it possible to configure Emacs to act as a complete replacement for:
>
> - Atom or Sublime (for Python)
> - IntelliJ IDEA (for Java)
>
> Aside from project management, I'm also interested in a setup where I can
> call Emacs to launch with one configuration when working with Java, and
> another configuration when working with Python, etc.

For java a couple of interesting packages are ensime which is really for
scala but it works for java. And emacs-eclim which is more like
integrating eclipse into emacs than the other way around.

The way I work is I use the ide and emacs at the same time. For
debugging and some other activities and very minor editing, I use the
ide (eclipse or intellij idea). As soon as I have to do significant
editing, my hands go on strike and say I'm not going to type one more
line and I'm forced to switch back to emacs.

Kendall