all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Moving from Ido to Icicles
@ 2014-11-01 10:22 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-11-01 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

inspired by an answer here (about project management), and by repeated
hints from Drew about Icicles, I decided to look into Icicles a bit
deeper.  I read "Icicles in a nutshell" at the EmacsWiki and I have to
say that Icicles seem to be "sufficiently advanced" in the sense of
Clarke's law.  I am a bit afraid of leaving Ido (which means changing my
habits a bit), but since I am not /very/ satisfied with Ido, I'm pretty
much sure I'm going to switch soon anyway.

There is one feature of Ido, however, which is very important for me.
Is this possible in Icicles?  (I should probably ask "how do I do it in
Icicles?", though...)  I mean persistent history of visited files.  I
seldom restart my Emacs, but sometimes I do, and I don't want to lose my
history then.  (On the other hand, instead of history per se, I could
probably do with the set of all *.tex, *.org, *.el and maybe a few other
files for now – and just in case I start to e.g. learn Python, I could
just add one more extension to the list.  What might be a better
workflow?)

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski