all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* pkunzip emacs 21.2
@ 2002-10-31 15:55 jerry d
From: jerry d @ 2002-10-31 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi've used emacs 20.7 and I used to be able to unzip class files directly
from a jar into a new buffer and then save this buffer and decompile the
class file. Very convenient.
However lately I upgraded to version 21.2, and everything seemed to work
fine, until I tried to do same as described above. Unfortunately this
failed, because emacs is looking for pkunzip, instead of gunzip which (I
think) was used in the previous version. The free version of pkunzip
promised a built in spy-ware feature with all kinds of nice popups so i
decided to skip that approach.

How can make 21.2 behave the same as "the good old" 20.7 in this matter?

tia
Jeroen.

* Re: pkunzip emacs 21.2
@ 2002-10-31 18:53 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-10-31 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "jerry d" <jeroeninperu@hotmail.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:55:06 +0100
>
> However lately I upgraded to version 21.2, and everything seemed to work
> fine, until I tried to do same as described above. Unfortunately this
> failed, because emacs is looking for pkunzip, instead of gunzip which (I
> think) was used in the previous version.

Put the following line into your .emacs and restart Emacs:

(setq archive-zip-use-pkzip nil)

* Re: pkunzip emacs 21.2
@ 2002-11-04  7:57 ` Lee Sau Dan
From: Lee Sau Dan @ 2002-11-04  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

    jerry> Unfortunately this failed, because emacs is looking
    jerry> for pkunzip, instead of gunzip which (I think) was used in
    jerry> the previous version.

I don't think  so, as gunzip cannot handle ZIP files  with more than 1
files stored inside.  gunzip can  only extract the first file, but not
the rest.

    jerry> How can make 21.2 behave the same as "the good old" 20.7 in
    jerry> this matter?

Why not  look for the *free*  program Info-ZIP?  I'm think  there is a
Windows/DOS version, as  its manpage does mention about  usage in DOS,
Windows95 and WindowsNT (as well as unix, VMS, OS/2).

$ unzip
UnZip 5.50 of 17 February 2002, by Info-ZIP.  Maintained by C. Spieler.  Send
bug reports to the authors at Zip-Bugs@lists.wku.edu; see README for details.

Usage: unzip [-Z] [-opts[modifiers]] file[.zip] [list] [-x xlist] [-d exdir]
  Default action is to extract files in list, except those in xlist, to exdir;
  file[.zip] may be a wildcard.  -Z => ZipInfo mode ("unzip -Z" for usage).

Here is an excerpt of the manpage:

URL
       The Info-ZIP home page is currently at
           http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/