all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dired-do-copy's Help doesn't mention magic characters
@ 2002-03-22  4:16 Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2002-03-22  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

dired-do-copy's Help doesn't mention the use of $ in the target file
name.  E.g. I told it to copy to foo$$ and it copies to foo$, I told
it foo$$$ and I get an error, I told it foo$$$$ and I get foo$$.
Nowhere do I get $$ to be the shell PID... that's OK though, as long
as the Help string describes what the deal is with $, etc. and
any other surprises ["!"?] on board.
--
http://www.geocities.com/jidanni/ Taiwan(04)25854780

* Re: dired-do-copy's Help doesn't mention magic characters
@ 2002-03-22 10:31 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-03-22 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

> From: Dan Jacobson <jidanni@deadspam.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.bug
> Date: 22 Mar 2002 12:16:28 +0800
>
> dired-do-copy's Help doesn't mention the use of $ in the target file
> name.  E.g. I told it to copy to foo$$ and it copies to foo$, I told
> it foo$$$ and I get an error, I told it foo$$$$ and I get foo$$.
> Nowhere do I get $$ to be the shell PID...

$$ is a general feature of file-name handling in Emacs, so it's not
clear where to document that (except in the manual; see the node
"File names").