all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* F10 Menu Cursor Invisible
@ 2021-07-07 18:06 Richmond via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Richmond via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-07-07 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have started emacs with -nw --color=never in mate-terminal. (This also
applies to xterm). When I press f10 I can see the menus, but when I
press down arrow I cannot see which menu item is highlighted. Is that a
bug?

Is there a way to get the menu in the minibuffer as it used to
appear in the old days?

* F10 Menu Cursor Invisible
@ 2021-07-07 18:37 Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2021-07-07 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have started emacs with -nw --color=never in mate-terminal. (This also
applies to xterm). When I press f10 I can see the menus, but when I
press down arrow I cannot see which menu item is highlighted. Is that a
bug?

Is there a way to get the menu in the minibuffer as it used to
appear in the old days?

(P.S. There are groups called gnu.emacs.help on news.gnus.org, and on
news.aioe.org, which seem to be disconnected from each other and this
list. It must be confusing for people.)

* Re: F10 Menu Cursor Invisible
@ 2021-07-07 18:45 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-07-07 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com>
> Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 19:37:58 +0100
>
> I have started emacs with -nw --color=never in mate-terminal. (This also
> applies to xterm). When I press f10 I can see the menus, but when I
> press down arrow I cannot see which menu item is highlighted. Is that a
> bug?

How come the current menu item is not highlighted? it should be
displayed with a different face.  Do you see this in "emacs -Q -nw"?

> Is there a way to get the menu in the minibuffer as it used to
> appear in the old days?

Yes, customize the variable tty-menu-open-use-tmm to a non-nil value.

* Re: F10 Menu Cursor Invisible
@ 2021-07-07 19:21   ` Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2021-07-07 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com>
>> Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 19:37:58 +0100
>>
>> I have started emacs with -nw --color=never in mate-terminal. (This also
>> applies to xterm). When I press f10 I can see the menus, but when I
>> press down arrow I cannot see which menu item is highlighted. Is that a
>> bug?
>
> How come the current menu item is not highlighted? it should be
> displayed with a different face.  Do you see this in "emacs -Q -nw"?

I don't know. It seems to be suppressed by the color=never, so no I do
not see it with "emacs -Q -nw" nor do I see it with "emacs -nw" but I
want to use the --color=never.

>> Is there a way to get the menu in the minibuffer as it used to
>> appear in the old days?
>
> Yes, customize the variable tty-menu-open-use-tmm to a non-nil value.

Thanks that is better. Ideally though there should be a way to highlight
the menu option, inverse video would do.

* Re: F10 Menu Cursor Invisible
@ 2021-07-07 19:30     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-07-07 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 20:21:26 +0100
>
> > How come the current menu item is not highlighted? it should be
> > displayed with a different face.  Do you see this in "emacs -Q -nw"?
>
> I don't know. It seems to be suppressed by the color=never, so no I do
> not see it with "emacs -Q -nw" nor do I see it with "emacs -nw" but I
> want to use the --color=never.

If you want to use --color=never, you need to customize the
menu-related faces, at least the face tty-menu-selected-face.  Make it
be reverse-video.

> Ideally though there should be a way to highlight the menu option,
> inverse video would do.

See above.

* Re: F10 Menu Cursor Invisible
@ 2021-07-07 19:57       ` Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2021-07-07 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com>
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>> Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 20:21:26 +0100
>>
>> > How come the current menu item is not highlighted? it should be
>> > displayed with a different face.  Do you see this in "emacs -Q -nw"?
>>
>> I don't know. It seems to be suppressed by the color=never, so no I do
>> not see it with "emacs -Q -nw" nor do I see it with "emacs -nw" but I
>> want to use the --color=never.
>
> If you want to use --color=never, you need to customize the
> menu-related faces, at least the face tty-menu-selected-face.  Make it
> be reverse-video.

None of those options had any effect. I tried inverse video, underline,
etc.

I used the command customize-apropos-faces and then entered
tty-menu-selected-face, show all attributes.

* Re: F10 Menu Cursor Invisible
@ 2021-07-07 20:13         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-07-07 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 20:57:10 +0100
>
> > If you want to use --color=never, you need to customize the
> > menu-related faces, at least the face tty-menu-selected-face.  Make it
> > be reverse-video.
>
> None of those options had any effect. I tried inverse video, underline,
> etc.

You need also customize the tty-menu-enabled-face and
tty-menu-disabled-face, so that they don't specify colors.  Sorry, I
forgot about that.

* Re: F10 Menu Cursor Invisible
@ 2021-07-07 20:24           ` Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2021-07-07 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com>
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>> Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 20:57:10 +0100
>>
>> > If you want to use --color=never, you need to customize the
>> > menu-related faces, at least the face tty-menu-selected-face.  Make it
>> > be reverse-video.
>>
>> None of those options had any effect. I tried inverse video, underline,
>> etc.
>
> You need also customize the tty-menu-enabled-face and
> tty-menu-disabled-face, so that they don't specify colors.  Sorry, I
> forgot about that.

Thanks! That worked!

* Re: F10 Menu Cursor Invisible
@ 2021-07-13 18:27 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2021-07-13 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richmond; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Richmond via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> I have started emacs with -nw --color=never in mate-terminal. (This
> also applies to xterm). When I press f10 I can see the menus, but when
> I press down arrow I cannot see which menu item is highlighted. Is
> that a bug?
>
> Is there a way to get the menu in the minibuffer as it used to
> appear in the old days?

Set `tty-menu-open-use-tmm' to t or disable the menu-bar, i.e.,
(menu-bar-mode -1).  Both will invoke `tmm-menubar' when you press F10.

Bye,
Tassilo