all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problem sending email with gnu emacs v 23
@ 2012-07-10 18:21 nvangogh
From: nvangogh @ 2012-07-10 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,
I have read the relevant sections of the emacs manual hoping to get my
emacs program set up to send email - to begin with.

My ISP uses SMTP server on port 465 and I have verified that the server
is up and running by a nmap port scan. I have even inserted IP number
rather than address.

My machine is running unix.

This is the contents of my .emacs file:

----------

(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
smtp-starttls-credentials '(("62.254.26.195" 465 nil nil))
smtpmail-auth-credentials (expand-file-name "~/.authinfo"))
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "62.254.26.195")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 465)

-----------

When i C-C C-C to send the message, I get an error in the mini buffer
that says:

"Process SMTP not running"

I have tried to find the answer via google but no clear answer seems to
be available. Is anyone able to help with this?

* Re: Problem sending email with gnu emacs v 23
@ 2012-07-11  6:48 ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2012-07-11  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

nvangogh <nat@invalid.net> writes:

> Hello,
> I have read the relevant sections of the emacs manual hoping to get my
> emacs program set up to send email - to begin with.
>
> My ISP uses SMTP server on port 465 and I have verified that the server
> is up and running by a nmap port scan. I have even inserted IP number
> rather than address.
>
> My machine is running unix.
>
> This is the contents of my .emacs file:
>
> ----------
>
> (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
> smtp-starttls-credentials '(("62.254.26.195" 465 nil nil))
> smtpmail-auth-credentials (expand-file-name "~/.authinfo"))
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "62.254.26.195")
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 465)
>
> -----------
>
> When i C-C C-C to send the message, I get an error in the mini buffer
> that says:
>
> "Process SMTP not running"
>
> I have tried to find the answer via google but no clear answer seems to
> be available. Is anyone able to help with this?

I have the same setup (except server, of course) and it works.

Try sending with debug enabled: (setq smtpmail-debug-info t), probably you'll find
something useful in trace buffers (see that variable's documentation for
more info).

--
Filipp Gunbin

* Re: Problem sending email with gnu emacs v 23
@ 2012-07-11 12:23 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2012-07-11 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wednesday, 11 July 2012 02:21:12 UTC+8, nvangogh  wrote:

> My ISP uses SMTP server on port 465 and I have verified that the server
> is up and running by a nmap port scan. I have even inserted IP number
> rather than address.

Port 465 is with TLS/SSL isn't it? You might have better luck with Emacs 24, which has support for gnutls libraries built in rather than relying on external tools.

* Re: Problem sending email with gnu emacs v 23
@ 2012-07-16 16:26 ` Alan
From: Alan @ 2012-07-16 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, July 10, 2012 1:21:12 PM UTC-5, nvangogh wrote:
> Hello,
> I have read the relevant sections of the emacs manual hoping to get my
> emacs program set up to send email - to begin with.
>
> My ISP uses SMTP server on port 465 and I have verified that the server
> is up and running by a nmap port scan. I have even inserted IP number
> rather than address.
>
> My machine is running unix.
>
> This is the contents of my .emacs file:
>
> ----------
>
> (setq send-mail-function &#39;smtpmail-send-it
> smtp-starttls-credentials &#39;((&quot;62.254.26.195&quot; 465 nil nil))
> smtpmail-auth-credentials (expand-file-name &quot;~/.authinfo&quot;))
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-server &quot;62.254.26.195&quot;)
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 465)

> When i C-C C-C to send the message, I get an error in the mini buffer
> that says:
>
> &quot;Process SMTP not running&quot;
>
> I have tried to find the answer via google but no clear answer seems to
> be available. Is anyone able to help with this?

There is a discussion of this at:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9699256/how-to-configure-emacs-smtp-for-using-a-secure-server-gmail

which might be of interest.