all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* No filenames in Buffers menu
@ 2009-11-01 17:31 Peter Flynn
From: Peter Flynn @ 2009-11-01 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I just installed Ubuntu 9.10, and added Emacs 22.
Everything works fine except that when I have multiple files visited,
there are no filenames in the Buffers menu, only the following:

*GNU Emacs* %
*scratch*
*Messages* *
---------------
Next Buffer      (C-x <C-right>)
Previous Buffer   (C-x <C-left>)
Select Named Buffer...   (C-x b)
List All Buffers       (C-x C-b)

This doesn't seem right: how do I navigate to all my other open files
unless I use C-x b and start typing the name (and some are quite long
and similar to others)?

Was there a reason behind taking this facility away? I can't see
anywhere in the Options for putting it back the way it always has been.

///Peter

* Re: No filenames in Buffers menu
@ 2009-11-02  8:09 ` Ender
From: Ender @ 2009-11-02  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Peter,

Looks like the Buffers menu will only show the 10 latest viewed
buffers by default. The number "10" here can be configured to fit your
need I think, but I don't know how :-(  And I don't see the need to
show all opening buffers in the menu (I'm opening 600+ buffers now,
what a mess!).

Just in case you don't know it: I suggest you use the ibuffer (http://
www.emacswiki.org/emacs/IbufferMode) to navigate your buffers, it
would be more efficient than click the mouse :-)

* RE: No filenames in Buffers menu
@ 2009-11-02 17:25   ` Drew Adams
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9932.1257182761.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-11-02 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Ender', help-gnu-emacs

> Looks like the Buffers menu will only show the 10 latest viewed
> buffers by default. The number "10" here can be configured to fit your
> need I think, but I don't know how :-(  And I don't see the need to
> show all opening buffers in the menu (I'm opening 600+ buffers now,
> what a mess!).
>
> Just in case you don't know it: I suggest you use the ibuffer (http://
> www.emacswiki.org/emacs/IbufferMode) to navigate your buffers, it
> would be more efficient than click the mouse :-)

See also buff-menu+.el. I haven't tried to track changes in CVS Emacs, but it
works fine in the Emacs 23 release (23.1.1), as well as older versions.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BufferMenuPlus

* Re: No filenames in Buffers menu
@ 2009-11-02 21:19   ` Peter Flynn
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9932.1257182761.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Flynn @ 2009-11-02 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ender wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Looks like the Buffers menu will only show the 10 latest viewed
> buffers by default.

Yes, that's what I want, but I want the 10 most recent files that I have
currently open, not a bunch of prompts for commands I don't use.

> The number "10" here can be configured to fit your
> need I think, but I don't know how :-(  And I don't see the need to
> show all opening buffers in the menu (I'm opening 600+ buffers now,
> what a mess!).

No, I don't want all, just the last 10 or so, as always was.
I can't understand why they've changed this.

> Just in case you don't know it: I suggest you use the ibuffer (http://
> www.emacswiki.org/emacs/IbufferMode) to navigate your buffers, it
> would be more efficient than click the mouse :-)

Interesting but needs a lot more work. I found a fragment of code to put
the cursor on the last-visited file, but the Ibuffer doesn't update
itself when I open a new file. I have to visit it and hit g.

@ 2009-11-02 21:25     ` Peter Flynn
From: Peter Flynn @ 2009-11-02 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Drew Adams wrote:
>> Looks like the Buffers menu will only show the 10 latest viewed
>> buffers by default. The number "10" here can be configured to fit your
>> need I think, but I don't know how :-(  And I don't see the need to
>> show all opening buffers in the menu (I'm opening 600+ buffers now,
>> what a mess!).
>>
>> Just in case you don't know it: I suggest you use the ibuffer (http://
>> www.emacswiki.org/emacs/IbufferMode) to navigate your buffers, it
>> would be more efficient than click the mouse :-)
>
> See also buff-menu+.el. I haven't tried to track changes in CVS Emacs, but it
> works fine in the Emacs 23 release (23.1.1), as well as older versions.

That's very nice, thanks, but I'd still prefer to have my recent buffers
in the Buffers menu like they always used to be. I wonder why they took
them away?

///Peter

* RE: No filenames in Buffers menu
@ 2009-11-02 22:10       ` Drew Adams
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-11-02 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Peter Flynn', help-gnu-emacs

> > See also buff-menu+.el. I haven't tried to track changes in
> > CVS Emacs, but it works fine in the Emacs 23 release
> > (23.1.1), as well as older versions.
>
> That's very nice, thanks, but I'd still prefer to have my
> recent buffers in the Buffers menu like they always used
> to be. I wonder why they took them away?

I guess (?) you're confirming that something has changed between Emacs 23.1.1
and the latest CVS Emacs in this regard. If so, `M-x report-emacs-bug'.

Even if it was a willful change, which is not certain, you can register your
opinion (e.g. request an option to get the old behavior back).

* Re: No filenames in Buffers menu
@ 2009-11-02 22:15 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-11-02 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Flynn wrote:

> I just installed Ubuntu 9.10, and added Emacs 22.
> Everything works fine except that when I have multiple files visited,
> there are no filenames in the Buffers menu

Works fine for me with Debian's emacs22 (or emacs23).
The first thing to test is always: does it work for you with emacs
started with the -Q option? If so, you need to look at your .emacs and
site configuration to find out what is causing this.

* Re: No filenames in Buffers menu
       [not found]       ` <mailman.9947.1257199858.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-11-02 23:21         ` Peter Flynn
From: Peter Flynn @ 2009-11-02 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Drew Adams wrote:
>>> See also buff-menu+.el. I haven't tried to track changes in
>>> CVS Emacs, but it works fine in the Emacs 23 release
>>> (23.1.1), as well as older versions.
>> That's very nice, thanks, but I'd still prefer to have my
>> recent buffers in the Buffers menu like they always used
>> to be. I wonder why they took them away?
>
> I guess (?) you're confirming that something has changed between Emacs 23.1.1
> and the latest CVS Emacs in this regard. If so, `M-x report-emacs-bug'.

I'm using the default Emacs installed from the Ubuntu package manager,
which turns out to be 22.

> Even if it was a willful change, which is not certain, you can register your
> opinion (e.g. request an option to get the old behavior back).

More likely just a bug. I'll find another version, thanks.

@ 2009-11-02 23:24   ` Peter Flynn
From: Peter Flynn @ 2009-11-02 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Glenn Morris wrote:
> Peter Flynn wrote:
>
>> I just installed Ubuntu 9.10, and added Emacs 22.
>> Everything works fine except that when I have multiple files visited,
>> there are no filenames in the Buffers menu
>
> Works fine for me with Debian's emacs22 (or emacs23).

Hmm. I checked deeper, and I'm using emacs22-gtk from the Ubuntu 9.10
packages.

> The first thing to test is always: does it work for you with emacs
> started with the -Q option? If so, you need to look at your .emacs and
> site configuration to find out what is causing this.

No, emacs22-gtk -Q gives me the same error: open a couple of files,
click on the Buffers menu and they're not there.

@ 2009-11-02 23:30     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-11-02 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Flynn wrote:

> No, emacs22-gtk -Q gives me the same error: open a couple of files,
> click on the Buffers menu and they're not there.

Sounds like this

http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=4122

* RE: No filenames in Buffers menu
@ 2009-11-02 23:58       ` Drew Adams
       [not found]       ` <mailman.9947.1257199858.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]       ` <mailman.9957.1257206346.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-11-02 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Peter Flynn', help-gnu-emacs

> That's very nice, thanks, but I'd still prefer to have my
> recent buffers in the Buffers menu like they always used
> to be. I wonder why they took them away?

Sorry, I didn't read well.
You're talking about the `Buffers' menu-bar menu.
I thought you were talking about the `Buffer Menu' (from `C-x C-b').

Sounds like Glenn gave you the info you really needed.

@ 2009-11-03  7:15         ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2009-11-03  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> > See also buff-menu+.el. I haven't tried to track changes in
>> > CVS Emacs, but it works fine in the Emacs 23 release
>> > (23.1.1), as well as older versions.
>>
>> That's very nice, thanks, but I'd still prefer to have my
>> recent buffers in the Buffers menu like they always used
>> to be. I wonder why they took them away?
>
> I guess (?) you're confirming that something has changed between Emacs 23.1.1
> and the latest CVS Emacs in this regard. If so, `M-x report-emacs-bug'.
>
> Even if it was a willful change, which is not certain, you can register your
> opinion (e.g. request an option to get the old behavior back).

I'm running emacs 23 from CVS (updated Monday) and I'm not seeing this
behavior. I've noticed no difference in the buffer menu. Is it possible
the observed difference is a local site or .emacs customization?

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

@ 2009-11-03  7:17         ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2009-11-03  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Drew Adams" <drew.adams@ORACLE.COM> writes:

>> That's very nice, thanks, but I'd still prefer to have my
>> recent buffers in the Buffers menu like they always used
>> to be. I wonder why they took them away?
>
> Sorry, I didn't read well.
> You're talking about the `Buffers' menu-bar menu.
> I thought you were talking about the `Buffer Menu' (from `C-x C-b').
>
> Sounds like Glenn gave you the info you really needed.

Looks like your not the only one who didn't read carefully - I forget
about the menus as I never use them. I immediately thought it was the
buffers buffer  i.e. C-x C-b

Tim

--

@ 2009-11-03 21:43           ` Peter Flynn
From: Peter Flynn @ 2009-11-03 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim X wrote:

>>> That's very nice, thanks, but I'd still prefer to have my
>>> recent buffers in the Buffers menu like they always used
>>> to be. I wonder why they took them away?
>> I guess (?) you're confirming that something has changed between Emacs 23.1.1
>> and the latest CVS Emacs in this regard. If so, `M-x report-emacs-bug'.
>>
>> Even if it was a willful change, which is not certain, you can register your
>> opinion (e.g. request an option to get the old behavior back).
>>

> I'm running emacs 23 from CVS (updated Monday) and I'm not seeing this
> behavior. I've noticed no difference in the buffer menu. Is it possible
> the observed difference is a local site or .emacs customization?

I don't think so...it has the same bug even when I remove my .emacs file.

@ 2009-11-03 21:53       ` Peter Flynn
From: Peter Flynn @ 2009-11-03 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Glenn Morris wrote:
> Peter Flynn wrote:
>
>> No, emacs22-gtk -Q gives me the same error: open a couple of files,
>> click on the Buffers menu and they're not there.
>
> Sounds like this
>
> http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=4122

That's the one. Many thanks for finding this: I was obviously using the
wrong terminology in my searches. It's a bug. The workaround is to
export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1 before you start emacs22-gtk.

@ 2009-11-03 21:56           ` Peter Flynn
From: Peter Flynn @ 2009-11-03 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim X wrote:
> "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@ORACLE.COM> writes:
>
>>> That's very nice, thanks, but I'd still prefer to have my
>>> recent buffers in the Buffers menu like they always used
>>> to be. I wonder why they took them away?
>> Sorry, I didn't read well.
>> You're talking about the `Buffers' menu-bar menu.
>> I thought you were talking about the `Buffer Menu' (from `C-x C-b').
>>
>> Sounds like Glenn gave you the info you really needed.
>>
> Looks like your not the only one who didn't read carefully - I forget
> about the menus as I never use them. I immediately thought it was the
> buffers buffer  i.e. C-x C-b

Sorry for the confusion. That's why I explicitly wrote Buffers with a
cap B. C-x C-b always worked, but it's not as useful when doing a lot of
mouse-based editing; much more so when I'm doing keyboard-based.

But Drew's suggestion of buff-menu+.el as an enhancement is excellent. I
can't imagine how I'd missed that.

///Peter