all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Cool Trick Part 3:  Doing It On MS Windows :  Switching Ctrl & Caps Lock Key Mappings
@ 2002-09-10 19:03 Steve
From: Steve @ 2002-09-10 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

I haven't tried this yet, but it looks like it may be possible to
alter key mappings on ms windows in a reasonable easy way:

* Re: Cool Trick Part 3:  Doing It On MS Windows :  Switching Ctrl & Caps Lock Key Mappings
@ 2002-09-10 21:49 ` Peter Karp
From: Peter Karp @ 2002-09-10 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10 Sep 2002 12:03:30 -0700, stevesusenet@yahoo.com (Steve) wrote:

> I haven't tried this yet, but it looks like it may be possible to
> alter key mappings on ms windows in a reasonable easy way:
>

> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article02-022

You might also like to take a look at:

	www.karpfenteich.net/pit/

<shameless plug>

On my homepage you'll find descriptions and programs how to remap
_all_ keys under different flavours of Windows (9x to XP) or also how
to disable a key under NT/W2K/XP. There are even more tips to help
german programmers to reach the {}[]\ and @ chars easier and faster on
a german keyboard while still being able to access the umlauts as
usual. Last not least I recommend clipboard managers to help with the
rest of the text entry :-)

The only downside is that the page is in german. If I get more
feedback I'll think about translating it to english too.

</shameless plug>

Greetings from Cologne
Peter

* Re: Cool Trick Part 3:  Doing It On MS Windows :  Switching Ctrl & Caps Lock Key Mappings
@ 2002-09-10 23:07   ` Rasmus Meldgaard
From: Rasmus Meldgaard @ 2002-09-10 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Karp <2002@karpfenteich.net> writes:

> On 10 Sep 2002 12:03:30 -0700, stevesusenet@yahoo.com (Steve) wrote:
>
> > I haven't tried this yet, but it looks like it may be possible to
> > alter key mappings on ms windows in a reasonable easy way:
> >

> > http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article02-022
>
> You might also like to take a look at:
>
> 	www.karpfenteich.net/pit/
[snip]
> The only downside is that the page is in german. If I get more
> feedback I'll think about translating it to english too.

I think you will get more feedback if you translates it to english.

--
Rasmus Meldgaard

"Sex is like Unix: If you don't know it, you don't miss it.
 But if you know it, you'll need it."  -Anonymous

* Re: Cool Trick Part 3:  Doing It On MS Windows :  Switching Ctrl & Caps Lock Key Mappings
@ 2002-09-11  0:14   ` Thore B. Karlsen
From: Thore B. Karlsen @ 2002-09-11  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 23:49:43 +0200, Peter Karp <2002@karpfenteich.net>
wrote:

>> I haven't tried this yet, but it looks like it may be possible to
>> alter key mappings on ms windows in a reasonable easy way:
>>

>> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article02-022

>You might also like to take a look at:
>
>	www.karpfenteich.net/pit/
>
><shameless plug>
>
>On my homepage you'll find descriptions and programs how to remap
>_all_ keys under different flavours of Windows (9x to XP) or also how
>to disable a key under NT/W2K/XP. There are even more tips to help
>german programmers to reach the {}[]\ and @ chars easier and faster on
>a german keyboard while still being able to access the umlauts as
>usual. Last not least I recommend clipboard managers to help with the
>rest of the text entry :-)
>
>The only downside is that the page is in german. If I get more
>feedback I'll think about translating it to english too.

I'm also not a native English speaker, so don't take this the wrong way,
but is there really any point these days to put stuff on the web in your
native language that might be useful for thousands of people all over
the world? I stick to English for everything I do. Comments in programs,
web pages, everything is in English so it can be useful to the most
people. Just a suggestion..

--
Be seeing you.

* Re: Cool Trick Part 3:  Doing It On MS Windows :  Switching Ctrl & Caps Lock Key Mappings
@ 2002-09-11 17:05 ` Mike Gallagher
From: Mike Gallagher @ 2002-09-11 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

stevesusenet@yahoo.com (Steve) wrote in

> I haven't tried this yet, but it looks like it may be possible to
> alter key mappings on ms windows in a reasonable easy way:
>

> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article02-022

Try this:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/ctrl2cap.shtml

I've been using this for several years with no problems.

* Re: Cool Trick Part 3:  Doing It On MS Windows :  Switching Ctrl & Caps Lock Key Mappings
@ 2002-09-12 19:54     ` Peter Karp
From: Peter Karp @ 2002-09-12 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 19:14:08 -0500, Thore B. Karlsen <sid@6581.com>
wrote:

> >You might also like to take a look at:
> >
> >	www.karpfenteich.net/pit/
> >

> >The only downside is that the page is in german. If I get more
> >feedback I'll think about translating it to english too.
>
> I'm also not a native English speaker, so don't take this the wrong way,
> but is there really any point these days to put stuff on the web in your
> native language that might be useful for thousands of people all over
> the world?

Yes, there are some people which prefer their native language and/or
can't speak english good enough.

One of the reasons for me to write the page in german, was that the
beginning of the page was a special "german problem": the
"programmer's chars" like {}[]\ are hard to reach on a german
keyboard, because the umlaut keys take the places where on an english
keyboard you'll find those {}[]\ chars. So english speakers don't have
this problem. In the meantime I have also added other useful tips
which might be interesting for non-english users too and I'll take
your advice and will translate the page (or at least a short version)
to english. I'm just looking for a cool way to call Vim (or other
editors) fast from any application. When I'll have found the solution
I'll update the page and will also make a translation. I'll post an
announcement here.

Greetings from Cologne
Peter

* Re: Cool Trick Part 3:  Doing It On MS Windows :  Switching Ctrl & Caps Lock Key Mappings
@ 2002-09-12 20:02       ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2002-09-12 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Karp <2002@karpfenteich.net> writes:

> In the meantime I have also added other useful tips which might be
> interesting for non-english users too and I'll take your advice and
> will translate the page (or at least a short version) to english.

Translate to English because non-English users might be interested?
How mean of you!

> I'm just looking for a cool way to call Vim (or other editors) fast
> from any application.

Take a look at emacsclient and gnuclient.  Both connect to a running
Emacs and use it for editing the requested file.

Email: David.Kastrup@t-online.de

* Re: Cool Trick Part 3:  Doing It On MS Windows :  Switching Ctrl & Caps Lock Key Mappings
@ 2002-09-13  8:22         ` Matthew Vernon
From: Matthew Vernon @ 2002-09-13  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <David.Kastrup@t-online.de> writes:

> Take a look at emacsclient and gnuclient.  Both connect to a running
> Emacs and use it for editing the requested file.

GNU emacs21 doesn't do this terribly well, compared to, say,
xemacs. Are there any plans to improve this, does anyone know? SNB

Matthew

--
Rapun.sel - outermost outpost of the Pick Empire
http://www.pick.ucam.org

* Re: Cool Trick Part 3:  Doing It On MS Windows :  Switching Ctrl & Caps Lock Key Mappings
@ 2002-09-13  9:07           ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2002-09-13  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthew Vernon <matthew@debian.org> writes:

> David Kastrup <David.Kastrup@t-online.de> writes:
>
> > Take a look at emacsclient and gnuclient.  Both connect to a running
> > Emacs and use it for editing the requested file.
>
> GNU emacs21 doesn't do this terribly well, compared to, say,
> xemacs. Are there any plans to improve this, does anyone know? SNB

What are your particular problems?  I find both emacsclient and
gnuclient working as intended.

@ 2002-09-13 13:15         ` Ralf Arens
From: Ralf Arens @ 2002-09-13 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup:
> Peter Karp <2002@karpfenteich.net> writes:

[...]
>> I'm just looking for a cool way to call Vim (or other editors) fast
>> from any application.

> Take a look at emacsclient and gnuclient.  Both connect to a running
> Emacs and use it for editing the requested file.

Vim: read ":h client-server".

Ralf

* Re: Cool Trick Part 3:  Doing It On MS Windows :  Switching Ctrl & Caps Lock Key Mappings
@ 2002-09-17 17:37             ` Matthew Vernon
From: Matthew Vernon @ 2002-09-17 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <David.Kastrup@t-online.de> writes:

> Matthew Vernon <matthew@debian.org> writes:
>
> > David Kastrup <David.Kastrup@t-online.de> writes:
> >
> > > Take a look at emacsclient and gnuclient.  Both connect to a running
> > > Emacs and use it for editing the requested file.
> >
> > GNU emacs21 doesn't do this terribly well, compared to, say,
> > xemacs. Are there any plans to improve this, does anyone know? SNB
>
> What are your particular problems?  I find both emacsclient and
> gnuclient working as intended.

Mostly that it doesn't work when doing slightly unusual, but sensible
things: say I start an emacs on display alice:0 as user matthew@bob;
later I log into bob from display charlie with X forwarding enabled,
and want to connect using emacsclient to the emacs I started on
display alice:0; this Just Doesn't Work(TM). Also, if I start an emacs
on tty1 (for example), and then want an emacsclient window on my X
session on the same display, that doesn't work either.

Matthew

--

@ 2002-10-01  2:17     ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2002-10-01  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <x3nznupo34y.fsf@brok.diku.dk>,
Rasmus Meldgaard  <rasmusm@diku.dk> wrote:
>Peter Karp <2002@karpfenteich.net> writes:
>
>> On 10 Sep 2002 12:03:30 -0700, stevesusenet@yahoo.com (Steve) wrote:
>>
>> > I haven't tried this yet, but it looks like it may be possible to
>> > alter key mappings on ms windows in a reasonable easy way:
>> >

>> > http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article02-022
>>
>> You might also like to take a look at:
>>
>> 	www.karpfenteich.net/pit/
>[snip]
>> The only downside is that the page is in german. If I get more
>> feedback I'll think about translating it to english too.
>
>I think you will get more feedback if you translates it to english.
>
>--
>Rasmus Meldgaard

Yes, PLEASE DO translate it -- and put me on a list
to notify when you do (in case I miss it on
the newsgroup).

Thanks!

David