all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* shell customization help
@ 2003-08-07 21:05 Kin Cho
From: Kin Cho @ 2003-08-07 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I eval (shell), then type "ls -l" in the new shell buffer.

Since the output is long, I cursor up to look at the outputs that
has scrolled off the window.

What I want to do now is to type another shell command, but the
keys self insert at point, which isn't what I want.  How do I
make the cursor jump to the end of the buffer (and insert the
char I just typed) as soon as I type something (or press return)?

Thanks.

-kin

* Re: shell customization help
@ 2003-08-07 21:40 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2003-08-07 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7iadaluqiy.fsf@neoscale.com>, Kin Cho  <kin@neoscale.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I eval (shell), then type "ls -l" in the new shell buffer.
>
>Since the output is long, I cursor up to look at the outputs that
>has scrolled off the window.
>
>What I want to do now is to type another shell command, but the
>keys self insert at point, which isn't what I want.  How do I
>make the cursor jump to the end of the buffer (and insert the
>char I just typed) as soon as I type something (or press return)?

  comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-input's value is
  this

  Documentation:
  *Controls whether input to interpreter causes window to scroll.
  If nil, then do not scroll.  If t or `all', scroll all windows showing buffer.
  If `this', scroll only the selected window.

  The default is nil.

  See `comint-preinput-scroll-to-bottom'.  This variable is buffer-local.

  You can customize this variable.

--
Barry Margolin, barry.margolin@level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA

* Re: shell customization help
@ 2003-08-07 22:02   ` Kin Cho
From: Kin Cho @ 2003-08-07 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Barry Margolin <barry.margolin@level3.com> writes:

>   comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-input's value is this

Exactly what I'm looking for.  Thanks!

-kin