all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Byte-compile constants in a function
@ 2012-07-03 16:57 Joe Riel
From: Joe Riel @ 2012-07-03 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there a way to define constant/macros so that the value is expanded
during byte-compilation of a function that uses them?

For example, I want to do

(defconst  tag-prompt ?>)

(defun check (char) (eq char tag-prompt))

where the byte-compilation of check is the same as that of

(defun check (char) (eq char ?>))

--
Joe Riel

* Re: Byte-compile constants in a function
       [not found] <mailman.3953.1341335828.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-07-03 20:26 ` José A. Romero L.
From: José A. Romero L. @ 2012-07-03 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu.emacs.help; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

W dniu wtorek, 3 lipca 2012 18:57:12 UTC+2 użytkownik Joe Riel napisał:
> Is there a way to define constant/macros so that the value is expanded
> during byte-compilation of a function that uses them?
(...)

How about defining an inlined function that returns the constant
you need?

    (defsubst tag-prompt () ?>)

then:

    (defun check (char) (eq char (tag-prompt)))

a quick look at the byte-compiled code shows that the value
of (tag-prompt) is indeed inlined.

Cheers,
--
José A. Romero L.
escherdragon at gmail

* Re: Byte-compile constants in a function
@ 2012-07-04  6:07   ` Joe Riel
From: Joe Riel @ 2012-07-04  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 13:26:13 -0700 (PDT)
José A. Romero L. <escherdragon@gmail.com> wrote:

> W dniu wtorek, 3 lipca 2012 18:57:12 UTC+2 użytkownik Joe Riel napisał:
> > Is there a way to define constant/macros so that the value is expanded
> > during byte-compilation of a function that uses them?
> (...)
>
> How about defining an inlined function that returns the constant
> you need?
>
>     (defsubst tag-prompt () ?>)
>
> then:
>
>     (defun check (char) (eq char (tag-prompt)))
>
> a quick look at the byte-compiled code shows that the value
> of (tag-prompt) is indeed inlined.

Thanks, that does what I want.

--

@ 2012-07-04 13:26 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-07-04 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> (defconst  tag-prompt ?>)
> (defun check (char) (eq char tag-prompt))

You can do

   (eval-when-compile
     (defconst tag-prompt ?>))

   (defun check (char) (eq char (eval-when-compile tag-prompt)))

-- Stefan

* Re: Byte-compile constants in a function
@ 2012-07-05  2:42   ` Joe Riel
From: Joe Riel @ 2012-07-05  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 09:26:06 -0400
Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > (defconst  tag-prompt ?>)
> > (defun check (char) (eq char tag-prompt))
>
> You can do
>
>    (eval-when-compile
>      (defconst tag-prompt ?>))
>
>    (defun check (char) (eq char (eval-when-compile tag-prompt)))
>

> -- Stefan

Thanks, that seems nicer than using defsubst.  Possibly with that
I'll finally understand what eval-when-compile is all about.

--
Joe Riel