all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* mouse pointer size
@ 2005-06-24 21:26 Peyton Bland
From: Peyton Bland @ 2005-06-24 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I/m running emacs 21.3.1 under RH linux.  I'd like to reduce the size
of the mouse pointer image.  Just to be sure that I'm using the right
term, by this I mean the image (or glyph?) that is displayed on the
screen when the mouse is moved over different parts of the emacs frame:
an arrow pointing to the 11:00 position when over a scroll bar, a
vertical bar with curly things at the top and bottom when over the text
window that I'm editing, a hand with extended index finger when over
the speedbar, etc., etc.  As it is, these shapes are twice the
character height -- way too big -- so I'd like to reduce them to half
their height.  I've looked at the docs on
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/elisp-manual but couldn't see how to
make the changes I want.  There was a mention of lisp/term/x-win.el
(our distro has the compiled version x-win.elc), but -- again -- I
don't know what to do with it.  I'd appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks,
Peyton Bland
Univ. of Michigan

* Re: mouse pointer size
@ 2005-06-25  4:31 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2005-06-25  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peyton Bland <bland@uNIVOFmich.edu.REMOVE.UPPER.CASE> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I/m running emacs 21.3.1 under RH linux.  I'd like to reduce the size
> of the mouse pointer image.  Just to be sure that I'm using the right
> term, by this I mean the image (or glyph?) that is displayed on the
> screen when the mouse is moved over different parts of the emacs frame:
> an arrow pointing to the 11:00 position when over a scroll bar, a
> vertical bar with curly things at the top and bottom when over the text
> window that I'm editing, a hand with extended index finger when over
> the speedbar, etc., etc.  As it is, these shapes are twice the
> character height -- way too big -- so I'd like to reduce them to half
> their height.  I've looked at the docs on
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/elisp-manual but couldn't see how to
> make the changes I want.  There was a mention of lisp/term/x-win.el
> (our distro has the compiled version x-win.elc), but -- again -- I
> don't know what to do with it.  I'd appreciate any advice on this.
>
> Thanks,
> Peyton Bland
> Univ. of Michigan

I think you may be looking in the wrong place. The mouse cursor size etc is
handled by X windows, not emacs. If you look at the Linux HOWTOS,
there is a mini HOWTO called something like big-cursor, which explains
how to make the cursor larger - perhaps this will give you enough info
on how to go in the other idrection.

Also, if your running under Gnome, you will find there is an option in
the Gnome control panel to change the size of the cursor. Check this
first if you are running gnome as you will be able to reduce the mouse
cursor with just a few clicks!

Tim
--
Tim Cross

* Re: mouse pointer size
@ 2005-06-25 12:42 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2005-06-25 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peyton Bland <bland@uNIVOFmich.edu.REMOVE.UPPER.CASE> writes:

> I'd appreciate any advice on this.

one idea is to do M-x browse-pointer-shapes,
available somewhere under dir:

  http://www.glug.org/people/ttn/software/personal-elisp/

until bored.

(then, install ratpoison and ditch the mouse. <-- experts only ;-)

thi

* Re: mouse pointer size
@ 2005-07-29 16:55   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-07-29 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jun 25 2005, Tim X wrote:

> I think you may be looking in the wrong place. The mouse cursor size etc is
> handled by X windows, not emacs. If you look at the Linux HOWTOS,
> there is a mini HOWTO called something like big-cursor, which explains
> how to make the cursor larger - perhaps this will give you enough info
> on how to go in the other idrection.

For me (running SuSE 9.2) "unset XCURSOR_THEME" brought back the small
cursor types.  XCURSOR_THEME is set in /etc/profile.d/desktop-data.sh
on SuSE.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,