all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: applying changes in .emacs
@ 2005-07-21 21:22 ` Peter Dyballa
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-07-21 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.07.2005 um 16:16 schrieb Baloff:

> Hello
> this is a command to apply chnages I just did to my .emacs to take
> effect without having to reopen emacs. could someone say it?

patch ? revert-buffer ?

--
Greetings

   Pete

One doesn't expect governments to obey the law because of some
higher moral development.  One expects them to obey the law because
they know that if they don't, those who aren't shot will be hanged.
                                                  --Michael Shirley

* Re: applying changes in .emacs
@ 2005-07-21 22:11 ` Neon Absentius
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Neon Absentius @ 2005-07-21 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 07:16:55AM -0700, Baloff wrote:
> Hello
> this is a command to apply chnages I just did to my .emacs to take
> effect without having to reopen emacs. could someone say it?

Just evaluate the changes you made: M-x eval-buffer RET

(info "(elisp)eval")  <--- hit C-x C-e here.

in particular see eval-region and  eval-buffer.
You might also want to check the loading node. You can load your .emacs
by using M-x load-file RET /path/to/.emacs RET

(info "(elisp)Loading")  <--- hit C-x C-e here.

HTH

--
Charity in capitalism is like urinating to extinguish a forest fire.
    -- Neon Absentius

* Re: applying changes in .emacs
@ 2005-07-21 22:57 ` Pascal Bourguignon
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2005-07-21 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Baloff <vddr2u@bi.edu.gr> writes:
> this is a command to apply chnages I just did to my .emacs to take
> effect without having to reopen emacs. could someone say it?

M-x load-file RET ~/.emacs RET

* Re: applying changes in .emacs
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-07-22  6:01 ` Tim X
       [not found] ` <mailman.1270.1122024740.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tim X @ 2005-07-22  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Baloff <vddr2u@bi.edu.gr> writes:

> Hello
> this is a command to apply chnages I just did to my .emacs to take
> effect without having to reopen emacs. could someone say it?
>
> thanks

Depending on what the changes are and how many of them you have, I
usually just use the *scratch* buffer - put the changes in their and
then evaluate the forms using C-x C-e

Tim
--
Tim Cross

* Re: applying changes in .emacs
@ 2005-07-22  8:04   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-07-22  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim X <timx@spamto.devnul.com> writes:

> Baloff <vddr2u@bi.edu.gr> writes:
>
>> Hello
>> this is a command to apply chnages I just did to my .emacs to take
>> effect without having to reopen emacs. could someone say it?
>>
>> thanks
>
> Depending on what the changes are and how many of them you have, I
> usually just use the *scratch* buffer - put the changes in their and
> then evaluate the forms using C-x C-e

C-x C-e works perfectly will in any buffer, no need to copy changes
around.

* Re: applying changes in .emacs
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-07-22  9:25 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1270.1122024740.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-07-22  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 07:16:55 -0700
> From: Baloff <vddr2u@bi.edu.gr>
>
> this is a command to apply chnages I just did to my .emacs to take
> effect without having to reopen emacs. could someone say it?

There's no command to do that, since quite a few fragments in a
typical .emacs file cannot be re-evaluated without causing bad side
effects.

The simplest way of doing what you want is to manually evaluate the
expressions that you added to your .emacs.  For example, assuming that
you added a line like this:

    (frobnicate foo bar baz)

position cursor to the right of the closing right parenthesis and
press "C-x C-e".  Do this with every top-level Lisp expression you
added or modified, and that would produce the desired effect.

* applying changes in .emacs
@ 2005-07-22 14:16 Baloff
From: Baloff @ 2005-07-22 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-08-29  7:35   ` don provan
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5389.1125340372.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: don provan @ 2005-08-29  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> There's no command to do that, since quite a few fragments in a
> typical .emacs file cannot be re-evaluated without causing bad side
> effects.

Wow. I would have said .emacs code is broken if it cannot be
re-evaluated without causing bad side effects, so I must be missing
something. Can you give some examples and explain why they can't be
avoided? About the only thing I'm aware of doing is adding duplicate
entries to some lists, and even that I could avoid if I thought the
effect would amount to something bad.

-don provan

* Re: applying changes in .emacs
@ 2005-08-29 18:12     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]       ` <mailman.5399.1125347056.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5389.1125340372.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-08-29 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: don provan <dprovan@comcast.net>
> Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 00:35:25 -0700
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> > There's no command to do that, since quite a few fragments in a
> > typical .emacs file cannot be re-evaluated without causing bad side
> > effects.
>
> Wow. I would have said .emacs code is broken if it cannot be
> re-evaluated without causing bad side effects, so I must be missing
> something.

You are not missing anything, I think.  Simply put, typical .emacs
code is written assuming that it is evaluated only once, when Emacs
starts.  While that might be a bad assumption for general-purpose Lisp
code, what one puts in .emacs is not general-purpose code, and in any
case, that's how people tend to do it.

> Can you give some examples and explain why they can't be avoided?
> About the only thing I'm aware of doing is adding duplicate entries
> to some lists, and even that I could avoid if I thought the effect
> would amount to something bad.

Adding things to a list is one typical example (adding a hook function
is a frequently seen variant of this).  Doing something if some symbol
is not bound or if some feature is not available (meaning a package is
not loaded) is another.  There's more.

* Re: applying changes in .emacs
@ 2005-08-29 20:15       ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]       ` <mailman.5399.1125347056.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-08-29 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
 >>From: don provan <dprovan@comcast.net>
 >>Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 00:35:25 -0700
 >>
 >>Wow. I would have said .emacs code is broken if it cannot be
 >>re-evaluated without causing bad side effects, so I must be missing
 >>something.
 >
 > You are not missing anything, I think.  Simply put, typical .emacs
 > code is written assuming that it is evaluated only once, when Emacs
 > starts.  While that might be a bad assumption for general-purpose Lisp
 > code, what one puts in .emacs is not general-purpose code, and in any
 > case, that's how people tend to do it.
 >

 >>Can you give some examples and explain why they can't be avoided?
 >>About the only thing I'm aware of doing is adding duplicate entries
 >>to some lists, and even that I could avoid if I thought the effect
 >>would amount to something bad.
 >

 > Adding things to a list is one typical example (adding a hook function
 > is a frequently seen variant of this).  Doing something if some symbol
 > is not bound or if some feature is not available (meaning a package is
 > not loaded) is another.  There's more.

For example, if you want to double the default value of some variable:

(setq max-lisp-eval-depth (* 2 max-lisp-eval-depth))

--
Kevin Rodgers

@ 2005-08-29 20:36       ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2005-08-29 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Adding things to a list is one typical example (adding a hook function
> is a frequently seen variant of this).  Doing something if some symbol
> is not bound or if some feature is not available (meaning a package is
> not loaded) is another.  There's more.

server-start is one that I used to strike all the time.

@ 2005-09-23  7:09         ` don provan
       [not found]           ` <mailman.8250.1127491382.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: don provan @ 2005-09-23  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> You are not missing anything, I think.  Simply put, typical .emacs
> code is written assuming that it is evaluated only once, when Emacs
> starts.  While that might be a bad assumption for general-purpose Lisp
> code, what one puts in .emacs is not general-purpose code, and in any
> case, that's how people tend to do it.

OK. I stopped treating .emacs differently the first time I reevaluated
the buffer to try out some new code and got screwed. I admit I'm lazy
about some things, like I don't worry about having duplicate entries
in lists where it doesn't matter. But I do try to avoid code that
leads to badness when reevaluated, like modifying a "constant" list
that code would try to reuse when reevaluated.

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> For example, if you want to double the default value of some variable:
>
> (setq max-lisp-eval-depth (* 2 max-lisp-eval-depth))

Why would you want to configure a value to twice the current value?
It's specifically saying that if the standard value ever changes, you
want to change the value you use to remain relative to the new value.
Seems silly.

-don

* Re: applying changes in .emacs
@ 2005-09-23 15:59           ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]           ` <mailman.8250.1127491382.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-09-23 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

don provan wrote:
 > Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:
 >>For example, if you want to double the default value of some variable:
 >>
 >>(setq max-lisp-eval-depth (* 2 max-lisp-eval-depth))
 >
 > Why would you want to configure a value to twice the current value?
 > It's specifically saying that if the standard value ever changes, you
 > want to change the value you use to remain relative to the new value.
 > Seems silly.

Let's say that all I know is that the standard value is too small,
because otherwise some function signals an error and I can't accomplish
my goal.  I don't know or care what the standard value is, or even what
units it has, but I do know I need to increase it.  I'd rather do
something like doubling it than setting it to some arbitrary value.  If
the standard value changes in the future, who cares?  If such a change
(or some other implementation change) makes the doubling unnecessary I
can simply delete it -- I purge my .emacs of such hacks when a new major
version is released.

--
Kevin Rodgers

@ 2005-09-25  9:13             ` don provan
From: don provan @ 2005-09-25  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> don provan wrote:
>  > Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:
>  >>
>  >>(setq max-lisp-eval-depth (* 2 max-lisp-eval-depth))
>  >
>  > Why would you want to configure a value to twice the current value?
>
> I'd rather do
> something like doubling it than setting it to some arbitrary value.

But you *are* setting it to some arbitrary value: 2 * current value.
The only difference between setting it to (* 2 max-lisp-eval-depth)
and setting it to 600 is that if you reload your .emacs file, it will
be 1200 instead of 600, yet the value you want to use is still 600.

> If
> the standard value changes in the future, who cares?  If such a change
> (or some other implementation change) makes the doubling unnecessary I
> can simply delete it -- I purge my .emacs of such hacks when a new major
> version is released.

If you're going to reexamine this issue any time there's a possibility
that the default number might change, that's all the more reason not
to bother making the number relative to its default value.

About the only rational I can think is documentation purposes, but I'd
prefer a simple comment: "; this is twice the default value".

-don

* Re: applying changes in .emacs
@ 2005-09-25 10:39               ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2005-09-25 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

don provan <dprovan@comcast.net> writes:

> About the only rational I can think is documentation purposes, but I'd
> prefer a simple comment: "; this is twice the default value".

rationality is useful up to the point immagination takes over.
perhaps ~/.emacs is suitable also for expressing irrational ideas.

you can think of a 1/3600 Hz robot (hourly cron job) stashing its
state and self-modification hints/heuristics in ~/.emacs, for example.

thi