all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How can one check which version of specific emacs package is being loaded
@ 2009-04-16 14:47 Nobuko Three
From: Nobuko Three @ 2009-04-16 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I installed the latest version of the Emacs package org-mode manually on my
Ubuntu machine. I didn't edit Makefile because I don't know how to do it, so
I believe there are two org-mode files on my machine: one is Emacs built-in
old version (Emacs is installed from Synaptic), another is the manually
installed new version. How can I check which one is being loaded?

Actually I added the following line to org.el before installing it.

(setq my-org-mode-version-is 625)

But something tells me my trick must be unnecessary. (This trick told me the
new version of org-mode is being loaded)

On the other hand, I also installed the latest reftex 4.33 package.  But
when do M-x find-library RET reftex RET, I get the old 4.31 version of the
file and when I evaluate the variable reftex-version, it says version 4.31,
the old version. But some behavior of reftex changed after I installed the
latest version.

How can I make sure that the old version of a specific package not be
loaded? And what is the reliable way to verify it?

* Re: How can one check which version of specific emacs package is  being loaded
       [not found] <mailman.5505.1239942041.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-04-17  5:09 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2009-04-17  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 16, 10:47 pm, Nobuko Three <nb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I believe there are two org-mode files on my machine: one is Emacs built-in
> old version (Emacs is installed from Synaptic), another is the manually
> installed new version. How can I check which one is being loaded?

You can use the function locate-library.

* Re: How can one check which version of specific emacs package is  being loaded
@ 2009-04-17 14:42   ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2009-04-17 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 17, 10:09 am, Jason Rumney <jasonrum...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 16, 10:47 pm, Nobuko Three <nb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I believe there are two org-mode files on my machine: one is Emacs built-in
> > old version (Emacs is installed from Synaptic), another is the manually
> > installed new version. How can I check which one is being loaded?
>
> You can use the function locate-library.

For org specifically see the variable org-version
(M-x v org-version )

* Re: How can one check which version of specific emacs package is being   loaded
@ 2009-04-18  2:27 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2009-04-18  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nobuko Three wrote:
> I installed the latest version of the Emacs package org-mode manually on my
> Ubuntu machine. I didn't edit Makefile because I don't know how to do it, so
> I believe there are two org-mode files on my machine: one is Emacs built-in
> old version (Emacs is installed from Synaptic), another is the manually
> installed new version. How can I check which one is being loaded?
>
> Actually I added the following line to org.el before installing it.
>
> (setq my-org-mode-version-is 625)
>
> But something tells me my trick must be unnecessary. (This trick told me the
> new version of org-mode is being loaded)
>
> On the other hand, I also installed the latest reftex 4.33 package.  But
> when do M-x find-library RET reftex RET, I get the old 4.31 version of the
> file and when I evaluate the variable reftex-version, it says version 4.31,
> the old version. But some behavior of reftex changed after I installed the
> latest version.
>
> How can I make sure that the old version of a specific package not be
> loaded? And what is the reliable way to verify it?

M-x list-load-path-shadows
M-x locate-library

--
Kevin Rodgers