all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Intercepting windowClosed (OS X or in general)
@ 2005-05-02 11:16 David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2005-05-02 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

how would one intercept handling of windowClosed events, that is, when
a user clicks the closer button to delete a frame. I would ideally like
to advise a function to do something special or use a hook.

This would be on the OS X port (but a generic solution would do, too,
of course).

Thanks!

* Re: Intercepting windowClosed (OS X or in general)
@ 2005-05-02 19:05 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-05-02 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Reitter wrote:
 > how would one intercept handling of windowClosed events, that is, when
 > a user clicks the closer button to delete a frame. I would ideally
 > like to advise a function to do something special or use a hook.

See the "Misc(ellaneous Window System) Events" node of the Emacs Lisp
manual:

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Intercepting windowClosed (OS X or in general)
       [not found] <mailman.464.1115054139.2819.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-05-03 23:26 ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3349.1115245914.2819.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-05-03 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> how would one intercept handling of windowClosed events, that is, when
> a user clicks the closer button to delete a frame. I would ideally like to
> advise a function to do something special or use a hook.

delete-frame-hook, maybe?

* Re: Intercepting windowClosed (OS X or in general)
@ 2005-05-04 21:57   ` David Reitter
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3349.1115245914.2819.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Reitter @ 2005-05-04 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier  writes:

> > how would one intercept handling of windowClosed events, that is, when
> > a user clicks the closer button to delete a frame. I would ideally like to
> > advise a function to do something special or use a hook.
>
> delete-frame-hook, maybe?

Thanks, but I assume this would be fired when a frame is deleted automatically,
too. I think there's a function to check if it was a mouse event, right?

But I found an easier way - that is to redefine handle-delete-frame to do what
I want.

Works. (For now, at least.)

Oh, is there a list of *all* hooks somewhere? This delete-frame-hook is not
listed on the "standard hooks" page of the elisp manual. Or, search
documentation for .*-hooks? ?

* Re: Intercepting windowClosed (OS X or in general)
@ 2005-05-05 17:18     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-05-05 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Reitter wrote:
 > Stefan Monnier  writes:
 >>>how would one intercept handling of windowClosed events, that is, when
 >>>a user clicks the closer button to delete a frame. I would ideally
like to
 >>>advise a function to do something special or use a hook.
 >>
 >>delete-frame-hook, maybe?
 >
 > Thanks, but I assume this would be fired when a frame is deleted
 > automatically, too. I think there's a function to check if it was a
 > mouse event, right?

C-h v last-input-event
C-h v last-command-event
C-h f event-basic-type

 > But I found an easier way - that is to redefine handle-delete-frame to
 > do what I want.
 >
 > Works. (For now, at least.)

Redefined via defadvice, I hope.

 > Oh, is there a list of *all* hooks somewhere? This delete-frame-hook
 > is not listed on the "standard hooks" page of the elisp manual. Or,
 > search documentation for .*-hooks? ?

M-x apropos-variable RET -hook\'

--
Kevin Rodgers

@ 2005-05-06  3:30     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-05-06  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> delete-frame-hook, maybe?

> Thanks, but I assume this would be fired when a frame is deleted
> automatically,  too. I think there's a function to check if it was a mouse
> event, right?

I'm not sure what you mean by "automatically", but if you only want to catch
the "press the delete button in the WM", then try to change the binding for
the delete-frame event in special-event-map (defaults to
handle-delete-frame).

> But I found an easier way - that is to redefine handle-delete-frame to do
> what I want.

That's less elegant.

> Oh, is there a list of *all* hooks somewhere?

It's an ill-defined concept, there's an infinity of hooks.

> This delete-frame-hook is not  listed on the "standard hooks" page of the
> elisp manual. Or, search  documentation for .*-hooks? ?

I found the above one with M-x apropos RET frame.*hook RET

* Re: Intercepting windowClosed (OS X or in general)
@ 2005-05-06  9:26       ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2005-05-06  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It's an ill-defined concept, there's an infinity of hooks.

there's also an infinity of non-hooks.

thi