all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* set window size on init
@ 2009-11-10 19:57 Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-11-10 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

i have, at the end of my .emacs this code:

; set window size to 100x58 chars.
(set-frame-size (selected-frame) 100 58)

however, it doesn't work.
But eval-region the code itself would work.

Anyone know why's that?

Thanks.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: set window size on init
@ 2009-11-10 20:39 ` despen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: despen @ 2009-11-10 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

> i have, at the end of my .emacs this code:
>
> ; set window size to 100x58 chars.
> (set-frame-size (selected-frame) 100 58)
>
> however, it doesn't work.
> But eval-region the code itself would work.
>
> Anyone know why's that?

I don't think you have a "selected-frame" while
.emacs is being read.

I don't see that in the documentation but under
.emacs processing, it says it reads terminal specific
stuff after it reads the .emacs:

"Emacs runs the hook term-setup-hook at the end of initialization, after
both your `.emacs' file and any terminal-specific library have been read
in."

* Re: set window size on init
@ 2009-11-11  8:32 ` Kiwon Um
       [not found] ` <mailman.10516.1257964476.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kiwon Um @ 2009-11-11  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 11, 4:57 am, Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i have, at the end of my .emacs this code:
>
> ; set window size to 100x58 chars.
> (set-frame-size (selected-frame) 100 58)
>
> however, it doesn't work.
> But eval-region the code itself would work.

Check default-frame-alist and init-frame-alist, e.g.:
(setq default-frame-alist '((width . 80) (height . 65)))
(setq init-frame-alist '((width . 80) (height . 65)))

* Re: set window size on init
@ 2009-11-11 18:31 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.10516.1257964476.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-11-11 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:57:14 -0800 (PST)
>
> i have, at the end of my .emacs this code:
>
> ; set window size to 100x58 chars.
> (set-frame-size (selected-frame) 100 58)
>
> however, it doesn't work.
> But eval-region the code itself would work.

Does it help to run this from term-setup-hook or window-setup-hook?

The reason for the inconsistency is that Emacs initializes the GUI
display at some specific point during startup, and any customizations
of the display before that point will generally be overridden.

* Re: set window size on init
       [not found] ` <mailman.10516.1257964476.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-11-11 20:05   ` despen
From: despen @ 2009-11-11 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com>
>> Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:57:14 -0800 (PST)
>>
>> i have, at the end of my .emacs this code:
>>
>> ; set window size to 100x58 chars.
>> (set-frame-size (selected-frame) 100 58)
>>
>> however, it doesn't work.
>> But eval-region the code itself would work.
>
> Does it help to run this from term-setup-hook or window-setup-hook?
>
> The reason for the inconsistency is that Emacs initializes the GUI
> display at some specific point during startup, and any customizations
> of the display before that point will generally be overridden.

It might but this page suggests some solutions:

http://emacsblog.org/2007/01/29/maximize-on-startup-part-1/

(The one with the initial-frame-alist seems most useful.)

* Re: set window size on init
@ 2009-11-11 21:01   ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-11-11 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 11, 12:32 am, Kiwon Um <um.ki...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 11, 4:57 am, Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:> i have, at the end of my .emacs this code:
>
> > ; set window size to 100x58 chars.
> > (set-frame-size (selected-frame) 100 58)
>
> > however, it doesn't work.
> > But eval-region the code itself would work.
>
> Check default-frame-alist and init-frame-alist, e.g.:
> (setq default-frame-alist '((width . 80) (height . 65)))
> (setq init-frame-alist '((width . 80) (height . 65)))

Thanks all for help. The following works as it should.

(setq default-frame-alist
      '((menu-bar-lines . 1)
        (left-fringe)
        (right-fringe)
        (tool-bar-lines . 0)
        (width . 75)
        (height . 50)
        ))

(setq initial-frame-alist '((width . 100) (height . 50)))

for future reference of later readers, type Ctrl+h v then initial-
frame-alist will give you good doc.

@ 2009-11-14  6:51     ` Jonathan Groll
From: Jonathan Groll @ 2009-11-14  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 03:05:06PM -0500, despen@verizon.net wrote:
>Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> From: Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com>
>>> Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:57:14 -0800 (PST)
>>>
>>> i have, at the end of my .emacs this code:
>>>
>>> ; set window size to 100x58 chars.
>>> (set-frame-size (selected-frame) 100 58)
>>>
>>> however, it doesn't work.
>>> But eval-region the code itself would work.
>>
>> Does it help to run this from term-setup-hook or window-setup-hook?
>>
>> The reason for the inconsistency is that Emacs initializes the GUI
>> display at some specific point during startup, and any customizations
>> of the display before that point will generally be overridden.
>
>It might but this page suggests some solutions:
>
>http://emacsblog.org/2007/01/29/maximize-on-startup-part-1/
>
>(The one with the initial-frame-alist seems most useful.)

The same Ryan McGeary who wrote the above blog entry also wrote
maxframe.el:
http://files.emacsblog.org/ryan/elisp/maxframe.el

I find it works perfectly well for me with GNU emacs under Linux if it
is one of the last things invoked in .emacs.

Under OS X I manually set frame-size as maxframe makes the frame too
big. This is the function I use to set frame-size manually for my
specific display:

;;maximize frame function for darwin - by Nurullah Akkaya on help-gnu-emacs
(defun na-resize-frame-big ()
   "Set size"
   (interactive)
   (set-frame-width (selected-frame) 178)
   (set-frame-height (selected-frame) 50 )
   (set-frame-position (selected-frame) 0 1))

Regards,
Jonathan