all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* keep slime alive
@ 2007-07-25  8:14 Jens Teich
From: Jens Teich @ 2007-07-25  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I use SBCL and SLIME to set up a webserver with Edi Weitz'
Hunchentoot. How do I keep this process alive when closing
the emacs session?

Jens

* Re: keep slime alive
@ 2007-07-25  8:25 ` Jens Teich
From: Jens Teich @ 2007-07-25  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jens Teich <info@jensteich.de> writes:

> I use SBCL and SLIME to set up a webserver with Edi Weitz'
> Hunchentoot. How do I keep this process alive when closing
> the emacs session?

Should have mentioned the OS: Suse Linux 9

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

* Re: keep slime alive
@ 2007-07-25 10:34 ` Petter Gustad
From: Petter Gustad @ 2007-07-25 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jens Teich <info@jensteich.de> writes:

> I use SBCL and SLIME to set up a webserver with Edi Weitz'
> Hunchentoot. How do I keep this process alive when closing
> the emacs session?

Run your sbcl under slime and connect to it from emacs:

screen -S lisp sbcl

Then type:

(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :swank)
(swank:create-swank-server 4005)

You can now detatch your process by typing "C-a C-d". You can also
leave it open if you like.

Then start emacs and type M-x slime-connect to connect to the swank
process.

Petter

Petter Gustad         8'h2B | ~8'h2B        http://www.gustad.com/petter

* Re: keep slime alive
@ 2007-07-25 11:54   ` Jens Teich
From: Jens Teich @ 2007-07-25 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Petter Gustad <newsmail6@gustad.com> writes:

> Jens Teich <info@jensteich.de> writes:
>
>> I use SBCL and SLIME to set up a webserver with Edi Weitz'
>> Hunchentoot. How do I keep this process alive when closing
>> the emacs session?
>
> Run your sbcl under slime and connect to it from emacs:
>
> screen -S lisp sbcl

I'm sitting in front of a Windows Laptop connected to the Linux Server
via Putty.

First tried in the shell

| jens@h968740:~/lisp> screen -S lisp sbcl
| Cannot open your terminal '/dev/pts/2' - please check.

Then tried this within emacs with

| M-x shell
| screen -S lisp sbcl
| (load "asdf.lisp")

two style warnings, ok

| (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op) :swank)

debugger invoked on UNDEFINED FUNCTION in thread ... function
ASDF::MODULE-PROVIDE-ASDF

Thanks in advance for further hints.

Jens

* Re: keep slime alive
@ 2007-07-25 12:50     ` Petter Gustad
From: Petter Gustad @ 2007-07-25 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jens Teich <info@jensteich.de> writes:

> Petter Gustad <newsmail6@gustad.com> writes:
>
> > Jens Teich <info@jensteich.de> writes:
> >
> >> I use SBCL and SLIME to set up a webserver with Edi Weitz'
> >> Hunchentoot. How do I keep this process alive when closing
> >> the emacs session?
> >
> > Run your sbcl under slime and connect to it from emacs:
> >
> > screen -S lisp sbcl
>
> I'm sitting in front of a Windows Laptop connected to the Linux Server
> via Putty.
>
> First tried in the shell
>
> | jens@h968740:~/lisp> screen -S lisp sbcl
> | Cannot open your terminal '/dev/pts/2' - please check.

ssh direct intoo your account (i.e. don't use su jens).

> Then tried this within emacs with
>
> | M-x shell
> | screen -S lisp sbcl

Seems the way you logged in when you started this emacs session was
sufficient to start screen, even though I never started screen from
within emacs.

> | (load "asdf.lisp")
>
> two style warnings, ok
>
> | (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op) :swank)

> debugger invoked on UNDEFINED FUNCTION in thread ... function
> ASDF::MODULE-PROVIDE-ASDF

Where do you have slime installed? There whould be a swank.asd in the
path specified by asdf:*central-registry*

@ 2007-07-25 13:26       ` Jens Teich
From: Jens Teich @ 2007-07-25 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Petter Gustad <newsmail6@gustad.com> writes:

> Where do you have slime installed? There whould be a swank.asd in the
> path specified by asdf:*central-registry*

I have established a symbolic link, so this should not be the problem.

Is it correct to execute the screen command within emacs-shell?

Jens

* Re: keep slime alive
@ 2007-07-25 14:01         ` Petter Gustad
From: Petter Gustad @ 2007-07-25 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jens Teich <info@jensteich.de> writes:

> Petter Gustad <newsmail6@gustad.com> writes:
>
> > Where do you have slime installed? There whould be a swank.asd in the
> > path specified by asdf:*central-registry*
>
> I have established a symbolic link, so this should not be the problem.

So can you start swank now?

> Is it correct to execute the screen command within emacs-shell?

I've never done it, but it should work if you can exit the eshell and
emacs and reconnect to it later. I usually run the screen command from
the shell. On my web-server I start screen from a crontab entry
(@reboot) and launch allegroserve when it starts up.

@ 2007-07-25 14:36           ` Jens Teich
From: Jens Teich @ 2007-07-25 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Petter Gustad <newsmail6@gustad.com> writes:

> Jens Teich <info@jensteich.de> writes:
>
>> Petter Gustad <newsmail6@gustad.com> writes:
>>
>> > Where do you have slime installed? There whould be a swank.asd in the
>> > path specified by asdf:*central-registry*
>>
>> I have established a symbolic link, so this should not be the problem.
>
> So can you start swank now?
>
>> Is it correct to execute the screen command within emacs-shell?
>
> I've never done it, but it should work if you can exit the eshell and
> emacs and reconnect to it later. I usually run the screen command from
> the shell. On my web-server I start screen from a crontab entry
> (@reboot) and launch allegroserve when it starts up.

This problem is solved, I changed the user with su. After this I cannot
use screen. So starting the terminal with the correct user is the solution.

But the other problem remains.

jens@h968740:~> screen -S lisp sbcl
This is SBCL 1.0.7, ...

; in: LAMBDA NIL
;     ASDF::FORMAT-ARGUMENTS
;
; caught STYLE-WARNING:
;   undefined function: FORMAT-ARGUMENTS

; [lot of stuff]

* (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :swank)

; #<PACKAGE "ASDF0">
; registering #<SYSTEM :SWANK {ACE5E01}> as SWANK

; compiling file "/usr/local/bin/slime-2.0/swank-backend.lisp" (written 12 APR 2006 10:43:55 AM):

; /home/jens/.slime/fasl/2006-04-20/sbcl-1.0.7-linux-x86/swank-backend.fasl written
; compilation finished in 0:00:00
WARNING: SWANK-BACKEND also exports the following symbols:
  (SWANK-BACKEND:CALL-WITH-DEBUGGER-HOOK SWANK-BACKEND:FUNCTION-NAME
   SWANK-BACKEND:LIST-CALLEES SWANK-BACKEND:SLDB-BREAK-ON-RETURN
   SWANK-BACKEND:FRAME-SOURCE-LOCATION-FOR-EMACS SWANK-BACKEND:WHO-SPECIALIZES
   SWANK-BACKEND:MAKE-DEFAULT-INSPECTOR SWANK-BACKEND:SWANK-COMPILE-STRING
   SWANK-BACKEND:PROFILE-REPORT SWANK-BACKEND:WHO-MACROEXPANDS
   SWANK-BACKEND:WHO-SETS SWANK-BACKEND:LOCAL-PORT SWANK-BACKEND:MAKE-LOCK
   SWANK-BACKEND:SLDB-BREAK-AT-START SWANK-BACKEND:SET-STREAM-TIMEOUT
   SWANK-BACKEND:CLOSE-SOCKET SWANK-BACKEND:OPERATE-ON-SYSTEM
   SWANK-BACKEND:PROFILE SWANK-BACKEND:RESTART-FRAME SWANK-BACKEND:LIST-CALLERS
   SWANK-BACKEND:THREAD-ID SWANK-BACKEND:CALL-WITH-COMPILATION-HOOKS
   SWANK-BACKEND:FORMAT-SLDB-CONDITION SWANK-BACKEND:PROFILE-PACKAGE
   SWANK-BACKEND:ALL-THREADS SWANK-BACKEND:UNPROFILE
   SWANK-BACKEND:EMACS-CONNECTED SWANK-BACKEND:ADD-SIGIO-HANDLER
   SWANK-BACKEND:LISP-IMPLEMENTATION-TYPE-NAME
   SWANK-BACKEND:COMPILER-MACROEXPAND SWANK-BACKEND:MAKE-STREAM-INTERACTIVE
   SWANK-BACKEND:SWANK-COMPILE-FILE SWANK-BACKEND:MAKE-WEAK-VALUE-HASH-TABLE
   SWANK-BACKEND:THREAD-ALIVE-P SWANK-BACKEND:CALL-WITH-RECURSIVE-LOCK-HELD
   SWANK-BACKEND:COMPILER-MACROEXPAND-1
   SWANK-BACKEND:INITIALIZE-MULTIPROCESSING
   SWANK-BACKEND:MAKE-WEAK-KEY-HASH-TABLE
   SWANK-BACKEND:DESCRIBE-SYMBOL-FOR-EMACS SWANK-BACKEND:COMPUTE-BACKTRACE
   SWANK-BACKEND:FIND-DEFINITIONS SWANK-BACKEND:UNPROFILE-ALL
   SWANK-BACKEND:FRAME-LOCALS SWANK-BACKEND:ADD-FD-HANDLER
   SWANK-BACKEND:REMOVE-SIGIO-HANDLERS SWANK-BACKEND:DESCRIBE-DEFINITION
   SWANK-BACKEND:CREATE-SOCKET SWANK-BACKEND:CALL-WITH-LOCK-HELD
   SWANK-BACKEND:PRINT-FRAME SWANK-BACKEND:WHO-CALLS
   SWANK-BACKEND:MAKE-RECURSIVE-LOCK SWANK-BACKEND:MAKE-FN-STREAMS
   SWANK-BACKEND:FRAME-CATCH-TAGS SWANK-BACKEND:CALL-WITH-DEBUGGING-ENVIRONMENT
   SWANK-BACKEND:CURRENT-THREAD SWANK-BACKEND:WHO-REFERENCES
   SWANK-BACKEND:INSTALL-DEBUGGER-GLOBALLY SWANK-BACKEND:EVAL-IN-FRAME
   SWANK-BACKEND:RETURN-FROM-FRAME SWANK-BACKEND:GETPID SWANK-BACKEND:SEND
   SWANK-BACKEND:DESCRIBE-PRIMITIVE-TYPE SWANK-BACKEND:SPAWN
   SWANK-BACKEND:WHO-BINDS SWANK-BACKEND:CALL-WITHOUT-INTERRUPTS
   SWANK-BACKEND:KILL-THREAD SWANK-BACKEND:PROFILE-RESET
   SWANK-BACKEND:CONDITION-EXTRAS SWANK-BACKEND:FIND-THREAD
   SWANK-BACKEND:BUFFER-FIRST-CHANGE SWANK-BACKEND:ARGLIST
   SWANK-BACKEND:STARTUP-IDLE-AND-TOP-LEVEL-LOOPS SWANK-BACKEND:TOGGLE-TRACE
   SWANK-BACKEND:SET-DEFAULT-DIRECTORY SWANK-BACKEND:REMOVE-FD-HANDLERS
   SWANK-BACKEND:CALLS-WHO SWANK-BACKEND:MACROEXPAND-ALL
   SWANK-BACKEND:CALL-WITH-SYNTAX-HOOKS SWANK-BACKEND:ACTIVATE-STEPPING
   SWANK-BACKEND:CONDITION-REFERENCES
   SWANK-BACKEND:PREFERRED-COMMUNICATION-STYLE SWANK-BACKEND:PROFILED-FUNCTIONS
   SWANK-BACKEND:INTERRUPT-THREAD SWANK-BACKEND:THREAD-STATUS
   SWANK-BACKEND:ACCEPT-CONNECTION SWANK-BACKEND:THREAD-NAME
   SWANK-BACKEND:FRAME-VAR-VALUE SWANK-BACKEND:DEFAULT-READTABLE-ALIST
   SWANK-BACKEND:DEFAULT-DIRECTORY SWANK-BACKEND:RECEIVE
   SWANK-BACKEND:DISASSEMBLE-FRAME)
See also:
  The ANSI Standard, Macro DEFPACKAGE
; compiling file "/usr/local/bin/slime-2.0/nregex.lisp" (written 19 SEP 2005 10:20:48 AM):

; /home/jens/.slime/fasl/2006-04-20/sbcl-1.0.7-linux-x86/nregex.fasl written
; compilation finished in 0:00:00
; compiling file "/usr/local/bin/slime-2.0/swank-sbcl.lisp" (written 19 APR 2006 11:18:53 AM):

debugger invoked on a UNDEFINED-FUNCTION in thread #<THREAD "initial thread" {A69E6D1}>:
  The function ASDF::MODULE-PROVIDE-ASDF is undefined.

Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.

restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
  0: [RETRY ] Retry performing #<ASDF:LOAD-OP NIL {ABD8439}> on
              #<ASDF:CL-SOURCE-FILE "swank-loader" {AD7C779}>.
  1: [ACCEPT] Continue, treating #<ASDF:LOAD-OP NIL {ABD8439}> on
              #<ASDF:CL-SOURCE-FILE "swank-loader" {AD7C779}> as having been
              successful.
  2: [ABORT ] Exit debugger, returning to top level.

("bogus stack frame")
0]

* Re: keep slime alive
@ 2007-07-25 14:40         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-07-25 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Teich; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 25.07.2007 um 15:26 schrieb Jens Teich:

> Is it correct to execute the screen command within emacs-shell?

I don't think so! In the first instance the *shell* buffer is not a
good terminal emulation (M-x terminal RET can bring something
better), secondly screen manages simple (hardware) terminals, that
only exist once to give you many of them, and finally GNU Emacs
allows you to have more than one *shell* or *terminal* buffer! GNU
Emacs is the manager.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

"Isn't vi that text editor with two modes... one that beeps and one
that corrupts your file?" -- Dan Jacobson, on comp.os.linux.advocacy

* Re: keep slime alive
@ 2007-07-25 15:12             ` Petter Gustad
From: Petter Gustad @ 2007-07-25 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jens Teich <info@jensteich.de> writes:

> use screen. So starting the terminal with the correct user is the
> solution.

Yes (as I said initially don't su jens)

> But the other problem remains.

This is not related to screen.

>   The function ASDF::MODULE-PROVIDE-ASDF is undefined.

It appears to be a problem with asdf, can you load other asd files or
is it just swank?

@ 2007-07-25 15:22               ` Jens Teich
From: Jens Teich @ 2007-07-25 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Petter Gustad <newsmail6@gustad.com> writes:

> It appears to be a problem with asdf, can you load other asd files or
> is it just swank?

Yes I can load other asd files.

The difference between 'the other' packages and swank is that the other ones
are directly in my home directory and swank is in something like /usr/local/slime.
Could it be a problem that I have no writing permission there?

Jens

* Re: keep slime alive
@ 2007-07-25 17:15     ` Jens Teich
From: Jens Teich @ 2007-07-25 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jens Teich <info@jensteich.de> writes:

> | (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op) :swank)

> debugger invoked on UNDEFINED FUNCTION in thread ... function
> ASDF::MODULE-PROVIDE-ASDF

Problem solved.

Replaced (load "asdf.lisp") with (require :asdf) thanks to c.l.l.

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

* Re: keep slime alive
@ 2007-07-25 17:27   ` Jens Teich
From: Jens Teich @ 2007-07-25 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Petter Gustad <newsmail6@gustad.com> writes:

> Jens Teich <info@jensteich.de> writes:
>
>> I use SBCL and SLIME to set up a webserver with Edi Weitz'
>> Hunchentoot. How do I keep this process alive when closing
>> the emacs session?
>
> Run your sbcl under slime and connect to it from emacs:
>
> screen -S lisp sbcl
>
> Then type:
>
> (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :swank)
> (swank:create-swank-server 4005)
>
> You can now detatch your process by typing "C-a C-d". You can also
> leave it open if you like.
>
> Then start emacs and type M-x slime-connect to connect to the swank
> process.

Every step of the above ones works now fine. But I'm still unable to
logout and keep the process alive. Sorry if I should have mentioned
that earlier.

logout: there are stopped jobs

Jens

* Re: keep slime alive
@ 2007-07-25 18:58     ` Petter Gustad
From: Petter Gustad @ 2007-07-25 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jens Teich <info@jensteich.de> writes:

> logout: there are stopped jobs

Are you sure you don't have any other processes running?

I'll show an example:

: itx ~; slogin roadrunner
Last login: Wed Jul 25 21:48:52 2007 from itx.home.gustad.com
: roadrunner ~; screen -S usenettest sbcl
(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :swank)
(swank:create-swank-server 4005)

C-a C-d

emacs &
M-x slime-connect

; SLIME 2006-03-20
CL-USER> (defvar *usenet-test* 'hello)
*USENET-TEST*
CL-USER>

M-x slime-disconnect
C-x C-c

: roadrunner ~; exit
logout
Connection to roadrunner closed.

: itx ~; slogin roadrunner
: roadrunner ~; screen -r usenettest
*USENET-TEST*

HELLO
(swank:create-swank-server 4005)

C-a C-d

emacs &
M-x slime-connect
; SLIME 2006-03-20
CL-USER> *USENET-TEST*

HELLO
CL-USER>

;; work work work

M-x slime-disconnect
C-x C-c

And repeat...

@ 2007-07-25 20:30       ` Jens Teich
From: Jens Teich @ 2007-07-25 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Petter Gustad <newsmail6@gustad.com> writes:

> Jens Teich <info@jensteich.de> writes:
>
>> logout: there are stopped jobs
>
> Are you sure you don't have any other processes running?

Yes that was my problem.

You made my day. Thanks for your patient help!

Jens