all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* is there such multi people network editor?
@ 2009-01-12  1:26 johnbao
From: johnbao @ 2009-01-12  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear frineds,

I am looking such an editor (not sure if emacs works), it should have
such functions:
1. multi-people can work together through network (better intranet),
realtime, (something like google docs)
2. syntax color highlight,
3. used to code sofware, Php, javascript, css
4. freeware, open source.

thanks

John

* Re: is there such multi people network editor?
@ 2009-01-12  8:05 ` Thierry Volpiatto
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-01-12  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi John!
johnbao@gmail.com writes:

> Dear frineds,
>
> I am looking such an editor (not sure if emacs works), it should have
> such functions:
> 1. multi-people can work together through network (better intranet),
> realtime, (something like google docs)
No editor do that, it's the version control system that this editor use
that allow multi-people to work together (idem for google docs AFAIK)
So yes, Emacs handle all the versions control systems you want with vc
(native) or better DVC (only decentralized vc).

> 2. syntax color highlight,
Yes
> 3. used to code sofware, Php, javascript, css
Yes
> 4. freeware, open source.
Yes

--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

* Re: is there such multi people network editor?
@ 2009-01-12  9:36   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-01-12  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Thierry Volpiatto
<thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi John!
> johnbao@gmail.com writes:
>
>> Dear frineds,
>>
>> I am looking such an editor (not sure if emacs works), it should have
>> such functions:
>> 1. multi-people can work together through network (better intranet),
>> realtime, (something like google docs)
> No editor do that, it's the version control system that this editor use
> that allow multi-people to work together (idem for google docs AFAIK)

No, you can see the updates other people do in real time (nearly) in
google docs.

> So yes, Emacs handle all the versions control systems you want with vc
> (native) or better DVC (only decentralized vc).
>
>> 2. syntax color highlight,
> Yes
>> 3. used to code sofware, Php, javascript, css
> Yes
>> 4. freeware, open source.
> Yes
>
> --
> A + Thierry Volpiatto
> Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

* Re: is there such multi people network editor?
@ 2009-01-12 12:55 ` B Smith-Mannschott
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: B Smith-Mannschott @ 2009-01-12 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: johnbao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 2:26 AM,  <johnbao@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear frineds,
>
> I am looking such an editor (not sure if emacs works), it should have
> such functions:
> 1. multi-people can work together through network (better intranet),
> realtime, (something like google docs)
> 2. syntax color highlight,
> 3. used to code sofware, Php, javascript, css
> 4. freeware, open source.

It sounds like you're looking for something like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collaborative_real-time_editor

--
// Ben Smith-Mannschott

* Re: is there such multi people network editor?
@ 2009-01-12 13:26 ` Erik Iverson
       [not found] ` <mailman.4601.1231747935.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Erik Iverson @ 2009-01-12 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: johnbao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hello -

johnbao@gmail.com wrote:
> Dear frineds,
>
> I am looking such an editor (not sure if emacs works), it should have
> such functions:
> 1. multi-people can work together through network (better intranet),
> realtime, (something like google docs)

I have not used google docs, but I think using emacs with the multi-tty
package combined with ssh might work for you.

> 2. syntax color highlight,

Yes, emacs has this.

> 3. used to code sofware, Php, javascript, css

Again, emacs has modes for all these and many more.

> 4. freeware, open source.

Yes!

@ 2009-01-12 14:41   ` Dan Espen
From: Dan Espen @ 2009-01-12 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi John!
> johnbao@gmail.com writes:
>
>> Dear frineds,
>>
>> I am looking such an editor (not sure if emacs works), it should have
>> such functions:
>> 1. multi-people can work together through network (better intranet),
>> realtime, (something like google docs)
> No editor do that,

Not sure about Google docs, but you can do "make-frame-on-display".
All the frames will belong to one user though.

* Re: is there such multi people network editor?
       [not found] ` <mailman.4618.1231764916.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-01-12 15:10   ` weber
From: weber @ 2009-01-12 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 12 jan, 09:55, "B Smith-Mannschott" <bsmith.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 2:26 AM,  <john...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear frineds,
>
> > I am looking such an editor (not sure if emacs works), it should have
> > such functions:
> > 1. multi-people can work together through network (better intranet),
> > realtime, (something like google docs)
> > 2. syntax color highlight,
> > 3. used to code sofware, Php, javascript, css
> > 4. freeware, open source.
>
> It sounds like you're looking for something like this:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collaborative_real-time_editor
>
> --
> // Ben Smith-Mannschott

Luke Gorrie's shbuf.el is a hack to try something like that.
Cheers,
Hugo

@ 2009-01-12 15:35   ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2009-01-12 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 2:26 AM,  <johnbao@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am looking such an editor (not sure if emacs works), it should have
>> such functions:
>> 1. multi-people can work together through network (better intranet),
>> realtime, (something like google docs)
>> 2. syntax color highlight,
>> 3. used to code sofware, Php, javascript, css
>> 4. freeware, open source.

emacs -> make-frame-on-display

I've never used it through a firewall, but it certainly works on our
Intranet.

* Re: is there such multi people network editor?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.4618.1231764916.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-01-12 17:55 ` Andrea Vettorello
From: Andrea Vettorello @ 2009-01-12 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 2:26 AM,  <johnbao@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear frineds,
>
> I am looking such an editor (not sure if emacs works), it should have
> such functions:
> 1. multi-people can work together through network (better intranet),
> realtime, (something like google docs)

Never tried them, so don't know how well they work, anyway there are
at least Abiword (using a plugin) and Gobby (
http://gobby.0x539.de/trac/wiki/Features ).

--
Andrea