all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: emacsclient usage
@ 2007-12-17 15:03 ` Nikos Apostolakis
       [not found] ` <mailman.5124.1197923852.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nikos Apostolakis @ 2007-12-17 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> Trying to use emacsclient (though not yet sure its what I need to
> use :-) ) came upon the following questions:
>
> 1. How do I tell emacsclient that my server is not emacs but emacs-
> snapshot-gtk ?

If you are using Debian then each emacs flavor has its own server.
For emacs-snapshot-gtk is probably emacsclient.emacs-snapshot.
Still on Debian you can make emacs-snapshot and its client the
standard alternative for emacs by using the command
`update-alternatives'.

> 2. How do I tell emacsclient (to tell the server...) not to read a
> file but to run a command (say remember)
>
> Note in my attempts so far it barfs at the -e option though the man
> page shows it. It accepts and ignores the -a or ALTERNATE_EDITOR
> settings

I think that the -e option is relatively recent, it doesn't work
with older emacsclient.

HTH,
Nikos

* emacsclient usage
@ 2007-12-17 18:36 rustom
       [not found] ` <mailman.5124.1197923852.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: rustom @ 2007-12-17 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2007-12-18  8:07   ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2007-12-18  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 17, 8:03 pm, Nikos Apostolakis <nikos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Trying to use emacsclient (though not yet sure its what I need to
> > use :-) ) came upon the following questions:
>
> > 1. How do I tell emacsclient that my server is not emacs but emacs-
> > snapshot-gtk ?
>
> If you are using Debian then each emacs flavor has its own server.
> For emacs-snapshot-gtk is probably emacsclient.emacs-snapshot.
> Still on Debian you can make emacs-snapshot and its client the
> standard alternative for emacs by using the command
> `update-alternatives'.
>
> > 2. How do I tell emacsclient (to tell the server...) not to read a
> > file but to run a command (say remember)
>
> > Note in my attempts so far it barfs at the -e option though the man
> > page shows it. It accepts and ignores the -a or ALTERNATE_EDITOR
> > settings
>
> I think that the -e option is relatively recent, it doesn't work
> with older emacsclient.
>
> HTH,
> Nikos

Thanks that was quite helpful.
Ive set gconf-editor->apps->metacity->keybinding-commands->command_1
to the foll:

bash -c "wmctrl -a emacs-snapshot-gtk;  emacsclient.emacs-snapshot -e
'(remember)'"

The wmctrl is required because the emacsclient on its own does not
activate the emacs window.
And because of that the bash -c is required.
Is there a neater way?

* Re: emacsclient usage
@ 2007-12-18  9:58     ` Andrea Vettorello
From: Andrea Vettorello @ 2007-12-18  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 18, 2007 9:07 AM, rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 17, 8:03 pm, Nikos Apostolakis <nikos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Thanks that was quite helpful.
> Ive set gconf-editor->apps->metacity->keybinding-commands->command_1
> to the foll:
>
> bash -c "wmctrl -a emacs-snapshot-gtk;  emacsclient.emacs-snapshot -e
> '(remember)'"
>
> The wmctrl is required because the emacsclient on its own does not
> activate the emacs window.
> And because of that the bash -c is required.
> Is there a neater way?

I've mangled emacsclient.c to spawn an Emacs instance if none is found
running, and IIRC changed the Gnome mime type to use emacsclient to
edit text files...

--
Andrea

* Re: emacsclient usage
@ 2007-12-18 19:48       ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-12-18 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Vettorello; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Andrea Vettorello wrote:
> I've mangled emacsclient.c to spawn an Emacs instance if none is found
> running, and IIRC changed the Gnome mime type to use emacsclient to
> edit text files...

The emacsclient that comes with EmacsW32 also starts Emacs if it is not
already started. I have only ran this on MS Windows, but the code should
work on other platforms too. EmacsW32 is here:

    http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html

* Re: emacsclient usage
@ 2007-12-18 22:17         ` Andrea Vettorello
From: Andrea Vettorello @ 2007-12-18 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs List

On Dec 18, 2007 8:48 PM, Lennart Borgman (gmail)
<lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:

> The emacsclient that comes with EmacsW32 also starts Emacs if it is not
> already started. I have only ran this on MS Windows, but the code should
> work on other platforms too. EmacsW32 is here:
>
>     http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html

That patch is huge, mine was a 10 minutes hack with 5 lines of code.
I'll give a better look tomorrow...

--
Andrea

* Re: emacsclient usage
@ 2007-12-18 23:17           ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-12-18 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Vettorello; +Cc: Emacs List

Andrea Vettorello wrote:
> On Dec 18, 2007 8:48 PM, Lennart Borgman (gmail)
> <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The emacsclient that comes with EmacsW32 also starts Emacs if it is not
>> already started. I have only ran this on MS Windows, but the code should
>> work on other platforms too. EmacsW32 is here:
>>
>>     http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html
>>

> That patch is huge, mine was a 10 minutes hack with 5 lines of code.
> I'll give a better look tomorrow...

You mean the emacsclient.c part? Yes, for the MS Windows part it does
some other things too.