all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* problem when using emacs within terminal
@ 2007-09-02 19:52 zhiliang.ma
From: zhiliang.ma @ 2007-09-02 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi emacs users,

I'm using emacs within unbuntu terminal with -nw option. However some
keybinds can not be used, such as [control-home], [control-end],
[control-;] (I bind this key to comment-or-uncomment-region).

Does anyone has this problem, how to solve it?

Thanks in advance.
zhiliang

* Re: problem when using emacs within terminal
@ 2007-09-02 20:49 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-09-02 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zhiliang.ma; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 02.09.2007 um 21:52 schrieb zhiliang.ma@gmail.com:

> Does anyone has this problem, how to solve it?

Don't use it in "unbuntu terminal with -nw!" This programme has a
reduced set of keyboard events. Obviously the key combinations you
want to use have not been programmed. As in most terminal emulations ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Who the fsck is "General Failure," and why is he reading my disk?

* Re: problem when using emacs within terminal
@ 2007-09-02 21:53   ` Zhiliang Ma
From: Zhiliang Ma @ 2007-09-02 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for the reply. But I do need "emacs -nw" sometimes. In fact, I found
there is a solution as mentioned in the following page. Unfortunately, it is
too old and the link of the solution is bad.

http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.help/browse_thread/thread/52a4f2a4090f84c4/6e23db9b52496e66?lnk=gst&q=terminal%2Bcontrol+key&rnum=6#6e23db9b52496e66

@ 2007-09-03  9:27     ` Andrea Vettorello
From: Andrea Vettorello @ 2007-09-03  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 9/2/07, Zhiliang Ma <zhiliang.ma@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. But I do need "emacs -nw" sometimes. In fact, I found
> there is a solution as mentioned in the following page. Unfortunately, it is
> too old and the link of the solution is bad.
> http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.help/browse_thread/thread/52a4f2a4090f84c4/6e23db9b52496e66?lnk=gst&q=terminal%2Bcontrol+key&rnum=6#6e23db9b52496e66

Technically speaking, the solution proposed at the end of the thread
is for the tty consoles, not for terminal emulators. (=

You can file a bug on gnome-terminal (maybe better on libvte) or you
can try with a bare xterm in combination with xterm-extras.el. Look in
the file comment on what to add to your ~/.Xdefaults (or
~/.Xresources)...

--
Andrea