all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Control s does not work
@ 2007-07-18 18:29 Lamont, Brian-p3354c
From: Lamont, Brian-p3354c @ 2007-07-18 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm very new to emacs, and trying to fix a customers problem.  The
forward search, cntl s does not do anything.   Only in some cases, the
other cntl sequences I use will work like C-x C-c, and C-r for reverse
search.   Other cases, the terminal is hung and I cannot break from it.
This happens accessing the system with putty, CDE, gnome, as root, or as
another account.  This happens on solaris 8 and 9, but the systems in
question are RHEL 3 updt 4 with GNU Emacs 21.3.1  On this redhat system,
the C-r, C-x, C-c will work, but not C-s.
Thanks!
brian.lamont@gdc4s.com

* Re: Control s does not work
@ 2007-07-19  6:52 ` Andrea Vettorello
From: Andrea Vettorello @ 2007-07-19  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 7/18/07, Lamont, Brian-p3354c <Brian.Lamont@gdc4s.com> wrote:

> I'm very new to emacs, and trying to fix a customers problem.  The forward
> search, cntl s does not do anything.   Only in some cases, the other cntl
> sequences I use will work like C-x C-c, and C-r for reverse search.   Other
> cases, the terminal is hung and I cannot break from it.  This happens
> accessing the system with putty, CDE, gnome, as root, or as another account.
>  This happens on solaris 8 and 9, but the systems in question are RHEL 3
> updt 4 with GNU Emacs 21.3.1  On this redhat system, the C-r, C-x, C-c will
> work, but not C-s.

This will not solve your problem, but i suppose it's the expected
behaviour on a terminal (the hang i mean) as Ctrl-s is usually bind to
the stop character (IIRC Ctrl-q should be the start character).

Here, with, zsh it's disabled using "unsetopt flowcontrol", but i've
done it only to have in the shell a working "history incremental
search forward" when i use Ctrl-s. From what i recall, it has never
been a problem when using Emacs...

--
Andrea

* Re: Control s does not work
       [not found] <mailman.3622.1184825511.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-07-19  7:54 ` Anselm Helbig
From: Anselm Helbig @ 2007-07-19  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

> I'm very new to emacs, and trying to fix a customers problem.  The forward search, cntl s does not do anything.   Only in some cases, the other cntl
> sequences I use will work like C-x C-c, and C-r for reverse search.   Other cases, the terminal is hung and I cannot break from it.  This happens accessing
> the system with putty, CDE, gnome, as root, or as another account.  This happens on solaris 8 and 9, but the systems in question are RHEL 3 updt 4 with GNU
> Emacs 21.3.1  On this redhat system, the C-r, C-x, C-c will work, but not C-s.

This is a FAQ, see:

  http://sunsite.ualberta.ca/Documentation/Gnu/emacs-21.1/html_chapter/faq_10.html#SEC139

Which raises another question: why is the Emacs FAQ not on gnu.org
with the rest of the documentation? Yes, I know, I should probably
file a bug report... 8;-)

Regards,

Anselm

* Re: Control s does not work
@ 2007-07-19 16:42   ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3700.1184953612.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-07-19 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Anselm Helbig <anselm@chemie.fu-berlin.de>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 09:54:40 +0200
>
> Which raises another question: why is the Emacs FAQ not on gnu.org

Because it now comes with Emacs itself?

* Re: Control s does not work
@ 2007-07-20 17:46     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3700.1184953612.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-07-20 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 12:42:27 -0400
>
> > From: Anselm Helbig <anselm@chemie.fu-berlin.de>
> > Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> > Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 09:54:40 +0200
> >
> > Which raises another question: why is the Emacs FAQ not on gnu.org
>
> Because it now comes with Emacs itself?

Btw, the Emacs FAQ _is_ on gnu.org, you somehow missed it:

   http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-faq.text

* Re: Control s does not work
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3700.1184953612.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-07-20 19:10       ` Anselm Helbig
       [not found]         ` <mailman.3706.1184961859.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Anselm Helbig @ 2007-07-20 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Eli!

At Fri, 20 Jul 2007 20:46:35 +0300,
Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> > Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 12:42:27 -0400
> >
> > > From: Anselm Helbig <anselm@chemie.fu-berlin.de>
> > > Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> > > Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 09:54:40 +0200
> > >
> > > Which raises another question: why is the Emacs FAQ not on gnu.org
> >
> > Because it now comes with Emacs itself?
>
> Btw, the Emacs FAQ _is_ on gnu.org, you somehow missed it:
>
>    http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-faq.text

Hm, I expected to find a link to some HTML-formatted version here:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/

since this listing looks a lot like the Emacs section in the my info
directory, just lacking the Emacs FAQ. And: of course I prefer info,
it's just easier to point newbies to the web. 8-)

Regards,

Anselm

* Re: Control s does not work
@ 2007-07-20 20:04         ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]         ` <mailman.3706.1184961859.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-07-20 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Anselm Helbig <anselm@chemie.fu-berlin.de>
> Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 21:10:22 +0200
>
> >    http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-faq.text
>
> Hm, I expected to find a link to some HTML-formatted version here:
>
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/

The Emacs FAQ is not part of the manual, it's a separate Texinfo
document.

* Re: Control s does not work
       [not found]         ` <mailman.3706.1184961859.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-07-20 20:18           ` Anselm Helbig
From: Anselm Helbig @ 2007-07-20 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Fri, 20 Jul 2007 23:04:10 +0300,
Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > From: Anselm Helbig <anselm@chemie.fu-berlin.de>
> > Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 21:10:22 +0200
> >
> > >    http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-faq.text
> >
> > Hm, I expected to find a link to some HTML-formatted version here:
> >
> >   http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/
>
> The Emacs FAQ is not part of the manual, it's a separate Texinfo
> document.

I know. But on

  http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/

you find all the other Emacs-related documents (like Dired-X, Ediff,
Gnus, Tramp, ...), all of them from separate Texinfo sources IIUC. So
why not the Emacs FAQ, then?

* Re: Control s does not work
@ 2007-07-21  8:37             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-07-21  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 22:18:03 +0200
> From: Anselm Helbig <anselm@chemie.fu-berlin.de>
>
> > > Hm, I expected to find a link to some HTML-formatted version here:
> > >
> > >   http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/
> >
> > The Emacs FAQ is not part of the manual, it's a separate Texinfo
> > document.
>
> I know. But on
>
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/
>
> you find all the other Emacs-related documents (like Dired-X, Ediff,
> Gnus, Tramp, ...), all of them from separate Texinfo sources IIUC. So
> why not the Emacs FAQ, then?

I don't know.  Something to write to the GNU webmasters about, I'd
think.