all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* code completion with type check
@ 2007-06-12 10:34 Martin
From: Martin @ 2007-06-12 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I am programming in C using emacs and some extensions as cc-mode.
Using M-/ (dabbrev-expand) is quite useful, but what I'm really
looking for is a tool that

1. shows me the parameter list when I start a functioncall.
2. gives me a choice for my parameter, e.g. if the parameter's type is
an enum of type test_enum_t (s.below) then I want the extension to
show me that I can pick CHOICE_A and CHOICE_B.
In some C++ or Delphi IDEs this is done by CTRL-Space.
So, there must be something like this out there, right?
I found XRefactory, but it's not free and it only comes up with
feature 1 (if at all).

Martin

typedef enum test_enum {
CHOICE_A = 0,
CHOICE_B = 1
} test_enum_t;

* Re: code completion with type check
@ 2007-06-12 11:10 ` Andrea Vettorello
       [not found] ` <mailman.1997.1181646654.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andrea Vettorello @ 2007-06-12 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[...]

Maybe CEDET/Semantic (http://cedet.sf.net)...

--
Andrea

@ 2007-06-12 12:28   ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2007-06-12 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks ...
actually I found semantic a few days ago (I forgot to mention it).
However, semantic does not know about types :(
And I'm having problems getting semantic to only parse a specific set
of directories.
It usually works by diving into a directory structure recursively to
extract tag information.

But if someone has some experience with semantic, I would be gratetful
if someone would share his knowledge/insights.

Martin

@ 2007-06-12 12:57 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2007-06-12 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Martin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Martin <m.gercke@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. shows me the parameter list when I start a functioncall.
> 2. gives me a choice for my parameter, e.g. if the parameter's type is
> an enum of type test_enum_t (s.below) then I want the extension to
> show me that I can pick CHOICE_A and CHOICE_B.
> In some C++ or Delphi IDEs this is done by CTRL-Space.

> So, there must be something like this out there, right?

I'm afraid you won't find the exact thing you're looking for.  CEDET's
Semantic offers some completion mechanisms, but none as integrated and
complete as you see in some IDEs.  `semantic-idle-summary-mode' is
probably your best bet for parameter lists.

I doubt there's anything offering syntactic completions with type checks.

You might find some more stuff at
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/WhatAreTheNeedsOfProgrammers
and
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/HowSemanticFulfillsThoseNeeds

But if you're looking for the IntelliSense fix[0], Emacs is probably not
the best place.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

[0] for a witty take on that topic, see:
    http://www.charlespetzold.com/etc/DoesVisualStudioRotTheMind.html