all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* kill other buffer
@ 2013-04-22 18:58 Rami A
       [not found] ` <CAKZYFdbKLjdekVTBgZh3HSOzLSLfm5RJGSh2FFHC7aVp9ZiYhA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Rami A @ 2013-04-22 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Greetings,
I usually start emacs with split screen horizontally.
I have F3 programmed to kill-this-buffer "kills the current buffer without confirmation"

How would I have [S-F3] programmed to kill the buffer in the other window without confirmation and without deleting the window itself? "I would like to keep emacs split horizontally".

Thanks.

* Re: kill other buffer
       [not found] ` <CAKZYFdbKLjdekVTBgZh3HSOzLSLfm5RJGSh2FFHC7aVp9ZiYhA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-04-22 21:28   ` Valentin Plechinger
       [not found]   ` <mailman.24480.1366666113.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Valentin Plechinger @ 2013-04-22 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

(defun kill-other-buffer ()
  (interactive)
  (other-window 1)
  (kill-this-buffer)
  (other-window 1))

with more windows you'd have to rewrite it, so probably not the most
elegant solution

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 11:26 PM, Valentin Plechinger <
v.plechinger@gmail.com> wrote:

> (defun kill-other-buffer ()
>   (interactive)
>   (other-window 1)
>   (kill-this-buffer)
>   (other-window 1))
>
> with more windows you'd have to rewrite it, so probably not the most
> elegant solution
>

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 8:58 PM, Rami A <rami.ammari@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>> I usually start emacs with split screen horizontally.
>> I have F3 programmed to kill-this-buffer "kills the current buffer
>> without confirmation"
>>
>> How would I have [S-F3] programmed to kill the buffer in the other window
>> without confirmation and without deleting the window itself? "I would like
>> to keep emacs split horizontally".
>>
>> Thanks.

* Re: kill other buffer
       [not found]   ` <mailman.24480.1366666113.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-04-22 22:05     ` Rami A
From: Rami A @ 2013-04-22 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks a lot Valentin. That works great!

* Re: kill other buffer
       [not found] ` <CAKZYFdbKLjdekVTBgZh3HSOzLSLfm5RJGSh2FFHC7aVp9ZiYhA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-04-22 22:41 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-04-22 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rami A <rami.ammari@gmail.com> writes:

> How would I have [S-F3] programmed to kill the buffer in the other window
> without confirmation and without deleting the window itself? "I would like to
> keep emacs split horizontally".

you could try 'winner-mode' and bind [S-F3] to winner-undo, that would
not kill the other buffer, but go back to the last window configuration(s),
that might show other buffers in the other window and thus hide the current
buffer in that window.

--
cheers,
Thorsten