all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Using abbrev-prefix-mark to add a suffix starts a new line
@ 2010-07-20 10:08 dbdkmezz
From: dbdkmezz @ 2010-07-20 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

This is odd. I discovered that I could use abbrev-prefix-mark `M-' to
add prefixes and suffixes to abbreviations yesterday, and it all
worked fine (I think!). But now when I use to add suffixes it adds the
suffix fine, but then moves the pointer down to the next line (if
there is a lower line to go to). I know there's nothing in the
documentation about using this command for suffixes (it only mentions
prefixes) but it makes sense, and it does at least half work.

Anyone have any ideas about what might be going on, or how I can fix
this?

Thanks

Paul

* Re: Using abbrev-prefix-mark to add a suffix starts a new line
@ 2010-07-20 10:51 ` dbdkmezz
From: dbdkmezz @ 2010-07-20 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 20 July, 11:08, dbdkmezz <dbdkm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is odd. I discovered that I could use abbrev-prefix-mark `M-' to
> add prefixes and suffixes to abbreviations yesterday, and it all
> worked fine (I think!). But now when I use to add suffixes it adds the
> suffix fine, but then moves the pointer down to the next line (if
> there is a lower line to go to). I know there's nothing in the
> documentation about using this command for suffixes (it only mentions
> prefixes) but it makes sense, and it does at least half work.
>
> Anyone have any ideas about what might be going on, or how I can fix
> this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul

Apologies for replying to my own post, but realised I didn't include
enough details. It only adds the extra line when using a space to
expand the abbreviation. If I expand it with another character (such
as a comma or a full-stop) then instead of adding a new line it just
add's a extra space before the expanding character. (Again, this is
fine when just using an abbreviation as usual, it only goes wrong when
using the abbrev-prefix-mark to add a suffix.)

Also, I've just discovered that I can use the command expand-abbrev,
or `C-x a e', to expand abbreviations, and then add the suffix. Doing
things this way works perfectly, and I guess is the way we are
expected to add suffixes. So these problems only occur when using the
abbrev-prefix-mark outside it's expected use, so can probably be
ignored :)

Paul