all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* screencast: setting emacs HOME environment variable in windows.
@ 2009-03-06 11:18 dericbytes
From: dericbytes @ 2009-03-06 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

http://dericbytes.blogspot.com/2009/03/emacs-screencast-emacs-home-environment.html

I made a screencast. Its very rough but maybe helpful to someone.

Not sure what my bandwidth restrictions are. So would like to know
where to host them for free, if I decide to make some more.

* Re: screencast: setting emacs HOME environment variable in windows.
@ 2009-03-06 14:03 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-03-06 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

dericbytes@gmail.com wrote:
> http://dericbytes.blogspot.com/2009/03/emacs-screencast-emacs-home-environment.html
>
> I made a screencast. Its very rough but maybe helpful to someone.
>
> Not sure what my bandwidth restrictions are. So would like to know
> where to host them for free, if I decide to make some more.

Even at 300 baud, "Start>Settings>Control
Panel>System>Advanced>Environment Variables>New User Variable:
Home=Whatever" shouldn't take longer than about 1 sec. Is this the right
tool for the right job? My apologies if I didn't understand. Since I
have dialup, I didn't try to watch the movie.
In Linux you don't even have to worry about this do you?

* Re: screencast: setting emacs HOME environment variable in windows.
@ 2009-03-06 16:04   ` dericbytes
From: dericbytes @ 2009-03-06 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 6, 2:03 pm, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote:
> dericby...@gmail.com wrote:
> >http://dericbytes.blogspot.com/2009/03/emacs-screencast-emacs-home-en...
>
> > I made a screencast. Its very rough but maybe helpful to someone.
>
> > Not sure what my bandwidth restrictions are. So would like to know
> > where to host them for free, if I decide to make some more.
>
> Even at 300 baud, "Start>Settings>Control
> Panel>System>Advanced>Environment Variables>New User Variable:
> Home=Whatever" shouldn't take longer than about 1 sec. Is this the right
> tool for the right job? My apologies if I didn't understand. Since I
> have dialup, I didn't try to watch the movie.
> In Linux you don't even have to worry about this do you?

I know using a screencast to set the PATH variable is over kill. I
only really made it to test making screencasts. I thought I'd do this
because it was the first thing I needed to set when I used emacs....
For some people it may only take a few seconds to download, and some
people may get comfort from watching it being done, if they read some
instructions and it did not work for them....  I was really wondering
where I could host some for free if I made one with more beneficial
content.

* Re: screencast: setting emacs HOME environment variable in windows.
@ 2009-03-06 16:09     ` dericbytes
From: dericbytes @ 2009-03-06 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 6, 4:04 pm, "dericby...@gmail.com" <dericby...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Mar 6, 2:03 pm, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote:
>
> > dericby...@gmail.com wrote:
> > >http://dericbytes.blogspot.com/2009/03/emacs-screencast-emacs-home-en...
>
> > > I made a screencast. Its very rough but maybe helpful to someone.
>
> > > Not sure what my bandwidth restrictions are. So would like to know
> > > where to host them for free, if I decide to make some more.
>
> > Even at 300 baud, "Start>Settings>Control
> > Panel>System>Advanced>Environment Variables>New User Variable:
> > Home=Whatever" shouldn't take longer than about 1 sec. Is this the right
> > tool for the right job? My apologies if I didn't understand. Since I
> > have dialup, I didn't try to watch the movie.
> > In Linux you don't even have to worry about this do you?
>
> I know using a screencast to set the PATH variable is over kill. I
> only really made it to test making screencasts. I thought I'd do this
> because it was the first thing I needed to set when I used emacs....
> For some people it may only take a few seconds to download, and some
> people may get comfort from watching it being done, if they read some
> instructions and it did not work for them....  I was really wondering
> where I could host some for free if I made one with more beneficial
> content.

meant HOME variable

* Re: screencast: setting emacs HOME environment variable in windows.
@ 2009-03-09  2:46     ` DaveLG526
From: DaveLG526 @ 2009-03-09  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 6, 8:04 am, "dericby...@gmail.com" <dericby...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Mar 6, 2:03 pm, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote:
>
> > dericby...@gmail.com wrote:
> > >http://dericbytes.blogspot.com/2009/03/emacs-screencast-emacs-home-en...
>
> > > I made a screencast. Its very rough but maybe helpful to someone.
>
> > > Not sure what my bandwidth restrictions are. So would like to know
> > > where to host them for free, if I decide to make some more.
>
> > Even at 300 baud, "Start>Settings>Control
> > Panel>System>Advanced>Environment Variables>New User Variable:
> > Home=Whatever" shouldn't take longer than about 1 sec. Is this the right
> > tool for the right job? My apologies if I didn't understand. Since I
> > have dialup, I didn't try to watch the movie.
> > In Linux you don't even have to worry about this do you?
>
> I know using a screencast to set the PATH variable is over kill. I
> only really made it to test making screencasts. I thought I'd do this
> because it was the first thing I needed to set when I used emacs....
> For some people it may only take a few seconds to download, and some
> people may get comfort from watching it being done, if they read some
> instructions and it did not work for them....  I was really wondering
> where I could host some for free if I made one with more beneficial
> content.

It is a simple task but for someone who is not familiar with the
process a video is nice. I have to admit I was debugging something
recently in what I thought was "My" .emacs file but in reality
my .emacs file was in the Application Data folder section of My
windows setup.