all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Python : share your emacs 23 setup?
@ 2009-10-15 13:41 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-10-15 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I would very much like to see/share any working, half decent, python set
up any of you guys have : using iPython in a buffer perhaps? With
completion and context help for python APIs? There is a lot of fluff on
the wiki including some stuff I put up there but with a small python
project coming up I would love to see a decent set up that will "Just
work" with emacs 23.

* Re: Python : share your emacs 23 setup?
@ 2009-10-15 15:05 ` Guilherme Gondim
From: Guilherme Gondim @ 2009-10-15 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

> I would very much like to see/share any working, half decent, python
> set up any of you guys have : using iPython in a buffer perhaps? With
> completion and context help for python APIs? There is a lot of fluff
> on the wiki including some stuff I put up there but with a small
> python project coming up I would love to see a decent set up that will
> "Just work" with emacs 23.

See my setup:
<http://bitbucket.org/semente/emacsd/src/tip/custom/python.el>

Another cool things for development you found in
<http://bitbucket.org/semente/emacsd/src/>.

--
Guilherme Gondim (semente)
http://semente.taurinus.org

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 196 bytes --]

* Re: Python : share your emacs 23 setup?
@ 2009-10-15 17:26 ` Steven Knight
From: Steven Knight @ 2009-10-15 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu Oct 15 2009 09:41:14 GMT-0400 (EST), Richard Riley wrote:
> I would very much like to see/share any working, half decent, python set
> up any of you guys have : using iPython in a buffer perhaps? With
> completion and context help for python APIs? There is a lot of fluff on
> the wiki including some stuff I put up there but with a small python
> project coming up I would love to see a decent set up that will "Just
> work" with emacs 23.

Hi,

My current emacs setup meets most of the requirements you mentioned.  At
present I'm not using iPython in buffers (usually I just run the script
outside of emacs), nor does it have context help.  But it does have
completion.  You can find it here:

http://gitorious.org/skk/dot-files-forest

Please note that this is a large git repo containing emacs setup files
along many other things (fish, zsh, vim, etc).

Here's how to use it.

$ cd ~/

$ git clone git://gitorious.org/skk/dot-files-forest.git

# if you have a .emacs.d or .emacs you should move/rename them
$ ln -s ~/dot-files-forest/emacs  ~/.emacs.d
$ ln -s ~/dot-files-forest/emacs/emacs.el  ~/.emacs

A copy of Pymacs, rope and ropemacs is in ~/.emacs.d.  If you are
running python 2.6, you maybe able to set PYTHONPATH:
$ export PYTHONPATH=~/.emacs.d/python/lib/python2.6/site-packages/

Otherwise you'll need to install Pymacs, rope and ropemacs. You can find
instructions for doing so here: http://www.enigmacurry.com/category/emacs/

Also you'll want to install pyflakes for real-time syntax checking, too.

This is running Emacs 23.1 (compiled from source), with python 2.6 on
Fedora 11.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Steven Knight
steven.knight@unh.edu

* Re: Python : share your emacs 23 setup?
@ 2009-10-15 17:45 ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2009-10-15 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 15, 6:41 pm, Richard Riley <rileyrg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would very much like to see/share any working, half decent, python set
> up any of you guys have : using iPython in a buffer perhaps? With
> completion and context help for python APIs? There is a lot of fluff on
> the wiki including some stuff I put up there but with a small python
> project coming up I would love to see a decent set up that will "Just
> work" with emacs 23.

python-mode for python 3 is broken.
My bug report here
https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-mode/+bug/450552

yasnippet for emacs 23.0 is broken but seems ok for later and earlier
Bug report here http://code.google.com/p/yasnippet/issues/detail?id=102

Both the bug report have easy suggested fixes