all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* chinese display in terminal -revised
@ 2008-06-11  2:19 ssszer
From: ssszer @ 2008-06-11  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: ssszer

hi,
    I use ssh log in remote host. The terminal can display chinese
well. Vi can also display chinese.
emacs does display them with ?? in multibyte.
I just have to improvise, by using
$emacs --unibyte
{ editing chinese in unibyte is a utterly unpleasant thing. }

How can I use the terminal's fonts?
BTW, I'm not the administrator.

$ env
TERM=xterm
SSH_CLIENT=::ffff:192.168.6.12 3450 22
NLS_LANG=SIMPLIFIED CHINESE_CHINA.UTF8
SSH_TTY=/dev/pts/1
LANG=zh_CN
LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.GBK
$ emacs --version
GNU Emacs 21.3.1
GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You may redistribute copies of Emacs
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.
$uname -a
Linux linux 2.6.5-7.97-bigsmp #1 SMP Fri Jul 2 14:21:59 UTC 2004 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

* Re: chinese display in terminal -revised
@ 2008-06-11  8:57 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-06-11  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ssszer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 11.06.2008 um 04:19 schrieb ssszer:

>     I use ssh log in remote host. The terminal can display chinese
> well. Vi can also display chinese.

Is vi running locally or on the remote host? Is it real vi or is it
vim? Vim can do tricks with the terminal and set it in the right mode
to display non-US ASCII.

> emacs does display them with ?? in multibyte.
> I just have to improvise, by using
> $emacs --unibyte

Can you also try

	emacs --no-init-file --no-site-file

It's possible that the init files on the remote host are not OK or
prepared for your Chinese dialect.

You could also invoke

	locale -a | egrep -i 'zh|cn'

to find which Chinese support the remote host offers. Next you should
check (and then set) the *local* fonts and their encodings as offered
by your local host, on which the terminal runs and which resources it
uses. The adjust the locale and the font's encodings that they do
match ... otherwise you'll have problems.

GNU Emacs 21.3 is a bit old. Did you try 'C-h H' ?

Did you think of installing an up-to-date GNU Emacs 22.2 as an X
client on your local PC and using TRAMP to connect to the remote host?

--
Greetings

   Pete

Bake pizza not war!

* Re: chinese display in terminal -revised
@ 2008-06-11 14:53 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-06-11 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ssszer@gmail.com writes:
> LANG=zh_CN
> LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.GBK
> $ emacs --version
> GNU Emacs 21.3.1

I would suggest (1) upgrading to a newer version of emacs (22 is
released), and (2) putting the terminal encoding in LANG before invoking
Emacs (e.g., LANG="zh_CN.GBK")

If you don't want to do the latter, you can explicitly set the terminal
encoding Emacs uses with the `C-x C-m t' command.

-Miles

--
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
  --Albert Einstein