all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
To: Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr>, Emacs Devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Cc: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
Subject: Re: [announce] The new website for GNU ELPA is online
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 03:05:28 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Nicolas,

On 01.12.2016 01:30, Nicolas Petton wrote:

> The new website for GNU ELPA is (finally!) online at
>
>   https://elpa.gnu.org

Thank you for the new design, it a definite improvement.

A couple of notes:

- The logo (both versions) looks a little blurry to me, like the text's
edges in "ξlpa" are less definite than in "GNU Emacs Lisp Package
Archive" below it. Although that might have everything to do with me
using a 4K monitor.

- The phrase "Since you'll probably want to use your installed packages,
..." is a bit jarring.

First, you _can_ use most of the packages (maybe not all (?), but close)
without that, as long as you limit the relevant configuration to
add-hook, eval-after-load, setq and auto-mode-alist entries.

In fact, I recommend adding `global-company-mode' (a global mode
function) to `after-init-hook' instead of evaluating it directly. That
works whether (package-initialize) is in the user's init script, or not.

But if we do consider it a good practice, writing about it in a "by the
way" fashion on ELPA's website seems odd. A technical solution seems in
order.