all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Speedbar question
@ 2003-03-20 16:57 John Wilde
From: John Wilde @ 2003-03-20 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to use the speedbar for a custom file type and define a
regular expression that determines the line in the file to jump to.  i
am able to run etags to create the TAGS file that I want, but how do I
make this work with speedbar so that it will expand into a list?
(Like, for example, the way functions are listed when a .cpp file is
opened)

thank you!

-john

* Re: Speedbar question
@ 2003-03-20 19:39 ` Eric Ludlam
From: Eric Ludlam @ 2003-03-20 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> jwilde@draper.com (John Wilde) seems to think that:
>I would like to use the speedbar for a custom file type and define a
>regular expression that determines the line in the file to jump to.  i
>am able to run etags to create the TAGS file that I want, but how do I
>make this work with speedbar so that it will expand into a list?
>(Like, for example, the way functions are listed when a .cpp file is
>opened)

The easiest way to do this is to support imenu.  Imenu has it's own
documentation in Emacs.  You can read on how to accomplish this.

Once you have done this, you can add this to your .emacs or imenu
support file:

(speedbar-add-supported-extension ".foo")

to tell speedbar to try and expand tags in this file.

Good Luck
Eric

--
Eric Ludlam             "Photonic Doodler"    The MathWorks x 7556
eludlam@mathworks.com         (work)        http://www.mathworks.com

* Re: Speedbar question
@ 2003-03-21 16:03   ` John Wilde
From: John Wilde @ 2003-03-21 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

thanks.

i am trying to add imenu support for the text-mode such that it
accomplishes this,  looking at how other modes (eg fortran.el) do
this, i defined the appropriate 'text-mode-imenu-generic-expression'
variable in my text-mode.el file, but the text mode still does not
support imenu.  any suggestions on what i'm missing and where i can
look for more help on this?

thanks, john

Eric Ludlam <eludlam@mathworks.com> wrote in message news:<koptolx1xm.fsf@ludlame-mac.dhcp.mathworks.com>...
> >I would like to use the speedbar for a custom file type and define a
> >regular expression that determines the line in the file to jump to.  i
> >am able to run etags to create the TAGS file that I want, but how do I
> >make this work with speedbar so that it will expand into a list?
> >(Like, for example, the way functions are listed when a .cpp file is
> >opened)
>
> The easiest way to do this is to support imenu.  Imenu has it's own
> documentation in Emacs.  You can read on how to accomplish this.
>
> Once you have done this, you can add this to your .emacs or imenu
> support file:
>
> (speedbar-add-supported-extension ".foo")
>
> to tell speedbar to try and expand tags in this file.
>
> Good Luck
> Eric

* Re: Speedbar question
@ 2003-03-24 14:00     ` Eric Ludlam
From: Eric Ludlam @ 2003-03-24 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

You also need to set imenu-generic-expression in test-mode, probably
like this:

  (make-local-variable 'imenu-generic-expression)
  (setq imenu-generic-expression text-mode-imenu-generic-expression)

Eric

--

@ 2003-03-25  1:03       ` John Wilde
From: John Wilde @ 2003-03-25  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

thanks eric,
i had the imenu-generic-expression variable set, but still no luck.
i notice that no changes i make to the text-mode.el file seem to have
any effect.  in fact i can take it out of the directory tree and my
text-mode loads up just fine.  am i modifying the wrong file??

-john
Eric Ludlam <eludlam@mathworks.com> wrote in message news:<koy934vp8q.fsf@ludlame-mac.dhcp.mathworks.com>...
> You also need to set imenu-generic-expression in test-mode, probably
> like this:
>
>   (make-local-variable 'imenu-generic-expression)
>   (setq imenu-generic-expression text-mode-imenu-generic-expression)
>
> Eric

> >thanks.
> >
> >i am trying to add imenu support for the text-mode such that it
> >accomplishes this,  looking at how other modes (eg fortran.el) do
> >this, i defined the appropriate 'text-mode-imenu-generic-expression'
> >variable in my text-mode.el file, but the text mode still does not
> >support imenu.  any suggestions on what i'm missing and where i can
> >look for more help on this?
> >
> >thanks, john

> >> The easiest way to do this is to support imenu.  Imenu has it's own
> >> documentation in Emacs.  You can read on how to accomplish this.
> >>
> >> Once you have done this, you can add this to your .emacs or imenu
> >> support file:
> >>
> >> (speedbar-add-supported-extension ".foo")
> >>
> >> to tell speedbar to try and expand tags in this file.
> >>
> >> Good Luck
> >> Eric

* Re: Speedbar question
@ 2003-03-25 10:45         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-25 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

jwilde@draper.com (John Wilde) writes:

> i had the imenu-generic-expression variable set, but still no luck.
> i notice that no changes i make to the text-mode.el file seem to have
> any effect.  in fact i can take it out of the directory tree and my
> text-mode loads up just fine.  am i modifying the wrong file??

Never modify files that come with Emacs.  While there is a way to
work around the problem that you're having, I don't think it's good
to fight Emacs needlessly.

I suggest to use define-derived-mode to define a mode based on text
mode.  In that mode you can set imenu-generic-expression and things
will work out nicely.

* Re: Speedbar question
@ 2003-03-25 15:14         ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-03-25 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Wilde wrote:

> i had the imenu-generic-expression variable set, but still no luck.
> i notice that no changes i make to the text-mode.el file seem to have
> any effect.  in fact i can take it out of the directory tree and my
> text-mode loads up just fine.  am i modifying the wrong file??

Yes.  text-mode.el is byte-compiled to text-mode.elc, which is dumped into the
emacs executable.

--

* Re: Speedbar question
@ 2003-03-25 19:40           ` John Wilde
From: John Wilde @ 2003-03-25 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

thanks everyone for your help.
i've got it working now.

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3E80725F.1070305@yahoo.com>...
> John Wilde wrote:
>
> > i had the imenu-generic-expression variable set, but still no luck.
> > i notice that no changes i make to the text-mode.el file seem to have
> > any effect.  in fact i can take it out of the directory tree and my
> > text-mode loads up just fine.  am i modifying the wrong file??
>
> Yes.  text-mode.el is byte-compiled to text-mode.elc, which is dumped into the
> emacs executable.

* Speedbar question
@ 2005-02-11 20:39 Javier Oviedo
From: Javier Oviedo @ 2005-02-11 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all.

I just started using speedbar and like it very much, but I have found one
rather annoying behavior(or at least I think so). When I click on a file in
the speedbar window, in order to open it in the main frame, the mouse
pointer gets automatically moved to the top right corner of my emacs frame.
Why does this happen? Is there a way to disable this feature? I would like
the mouse pointer to remain exactly where it was when I clicked on the file
name.

Any help? Thoughts?

Thanks!

--
Javier

* Re: Speedbar question
@ 2005-02-12 11:09 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1861.1108208577.2841.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-02-12 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Javier Oviedo" <email_joviedo@yahoo.com>
> Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:39:45 -0500
>
> I just started using speedbar and like it very much, but I have found one
> rather annoying behavior(or at least I think so). When I click on a file in
> the speedbar window, in order to open it in the main frame, the mouse
> pointer gets automatically moved to the top right corner of my emacs frame.

Does that happen in "emacs -q"?  If not, perhaps you have
mouse-avoidance mode turned on in your ~/.emacs or some other init
file.

* Re: Speedbar question
       [not found] ` <mailman.1861.1108208577.2841.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-02-14 15:30   ` Javier Oviedo
From: Javier Oviedo @ 2005-02-14 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Eli,
I opened emacs without any init file or custom configuration(simply launched
emacs.exe). I then started speedbar and still saw the same behavior.
Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks.

--
Javier

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> wrote in message
> > From: "Javier Oviedo" <email_joviedo@yahoo.com>
> > Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:39:45 -0500
> >
> > I just started using speedbar and like it very much, but I have found
one
> > rather annoying behavior(or at least I think so). When I click on a file
in
> > the speedbar window, in order to open it in the main frame, the mouse
> > pointer gets automatically moved to the top right corner of my emacs
frame.

> Does that happen in "emacs -q"?  If not, perhaps you have
> mouse-avoidance mode turned on in your ~/.emacs or some other init
> file.

* Re: Speedbar question
       [not found] ` <mailman.1861.1108208577.2841.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-02-14 21:33 ` Eric Ludlam
From: Eric Ludlam @ 2005-02-14 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> "Javier Oviedo" <email_joviedo@yahoo.com> seems to think that:
>Hello all.
>
>I just started using speedbar and like it very much, but I have found one
>rather annoying behavior(or at least I think so). When I click on a file in
>the speedbar window, in order to open it in the main frame, the mouse
>pointer gets automatically moved to the top right corner of my emacs frame.
>Why does this happen? Is there a way to disable this feature? I would like
>the mouse pointer to remain exactly where it was when I clicked on the file
>name.

Hi,

 Depending on what version of speedbar you may have, you can modify
either `speedbar-activity-change-focus-flag', or
`dframe-activity-change-focus-flag'.  They should be "nil", meaning
don't change focus, though some activities always change focus.  See
`speedbar-maybee-jump-to-attached-frame' for details.

I don't remember the specifics of the problem, but there may be a
couple places that don't go through that mechanism.

Eric

* Re: Speedbar question
@ 2005-02-15 18:34   ` Javier Oviedo
From: Javier Oviedo @ 2005-02-15 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks. I'm using the speed bar that comes with cedet-1.0beta3b. I believe
the version is 0.15beta2. I will try these suggestions out. Thanks!

--
Javier

> >Hello all.
> >
> >I just started using speedbar and like it very much, but I have found one
> >rather annoying behavior(or at least I think so). When I click on a file
in
> >the speedbar window, in order to open it in the main frame, the mouse
> >pointer gets automatically moved to the top right corner of my emacs
frame.
> >Why does this happen? Is there a way to disable this feature? I would
like
> >the mouse pointer to remain exactly where it was when I clicked on the
file
> >name.
>
> Hi,
>
>  Depending on what version of speedbar you may have, you can modify
> either `speedbar-activity-change-focus-flag', or
> `dframe-activity-change-focus-flag'.  They should be "nil", meaning
> don't change focus, though some activities always change focus.  See
> `speedbar-maybee-jump-to-attached-frame' for details.
>
> I don't remember the specifics of the problem, but there may be a
> couple places that don't go through that mechanism.
>
> Eric

* Re: Speedbar question
@ 2005-02-15 20:54   ` Javier Oviedo
From: Javier Oviedo @ 2005-02-15 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

dframe-activity-change-focus-flag is set to nil and I can't find any
reference to speedbar-activity-change-focus-flag.

I will have to investigate further. I'll report back soon. Thanks.

--
Javier

"Eric Ludlam" <eludlam@mathworks.com> wrote in message
> >Hello all.
> >
> >I just started using speedbar and like it very much, but I have found one
> >rather annoying behavior(or at least I think so). When I click on a file
in
> >the speedbar window, in order to open it in the main frame, the mouse
> >pointer gets automatically moved to the top right corner of my emacs
frame.
> >Why does this happen? Is there a way to disable this feature? I would
like
> >the mouse pointer to remain exactly where it was when I clicked on the
file
> >name.
>
> Hi,
>
>  Depending on what version of speedbar you may have, you can modify
> either `speedbar-activity-change-focus-flag', or
> `dframe-activity-change-focus-flag'.  They should be "nil", meaning
> don't change focus, though some activities always change focus.  See
> `speedbar-maybee-jump-to-attached-frame' for details.
>
> I don't remember the specifics of the problem, but there may be a
> couple places that don't go through that mechanism.
>
> Eric

* Speedbar question
@ 2007-10-10 13:30 Ke Lu
From: Ke Lu @ 2007-10-10 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When I press space key speedbar-toggle-line-expansion at a java file,
It expand and show classes,imports and packages which looks like following.
          [-] ActionDispatcherExample.java
            +> ActionDispatcherExample{}
           {+} Imports
            => org.apache.struts.webapp.dispatch

When I press space key speedbar-toggle-line-expansion at class,
It expand and show veriables and methods.
          [-] ActionDispatcherExample.java
            -> ActionDispatcherExample{}
            {+} Variables
            {+} Methods
           {+} Imports
            => org.apache.struts.webapp.dispatch

When I press space key speedbar-toggle-line-expansion at methods,
It expand and show methods which I realy want to see.
          [-] ActionDispatcherExample.java
            -> ActionDispatcherExample{}
            {+} Variables
            {-} Methods
              +> execute()
              +> doFoo()
              +> doBar()
           {+} Imports
            => org.apache.struts.webapp.dispatch

Is there any way to expand until fuctions  when I
press space key speedbar-toggle-line-expansion at a java file?

* speedbar question
@ 2008-12-07 11:22 ` Maindoor
From: Maindoor @ 2008-12-07 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I wanted to use mouse-1 single click to do all i want in
speedbar instead of use mouse-2 ( scroll button ) click.
I couldn't find an easy way so I edited dframe.el and
swapped down-mouse-1 event and mouse-2 event.
Now I got exactly what I want but the problem is
that everytime i move the mouse in speedbar, i always
get some highlight as if i am trying to copy something.
Is there anyway to get around this or is there a way to
solve this correctly   ?

* RE: speedbar question
@ 2008-12-07 15:21   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-12-07 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sanjeevfiles, help-gnu-emacs

> I wanted to use mouse-1 single click to do all i want in
> speedbar instead of use mouse-2 ( scroll button ) click.
> I couldn't find an easy way so I edited dframe.el and
> swapped down-mouse-1 event and mouse-2 event.
> Now I got exactly what I want but the problem is
> that everytime i move the mouse in speedbar, i always
> get some highlight as if i am trying to copy something.
> Is there anyway to get around this or is there a way to
> solve this correctly   ?

[Plain text, not HTML mail, please.]

What Emacs version are you using? In Emacs 22 or later `mouse-1' should do what
you want by default, and the behavior is controlled by option
`mouse-1-click-follows-link'.

* RE: speedbar question
@ 2008-12-07 15:34     ` Maindoor
From: Maindoor @ 2008-12-07 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, Drew Adams

I'm using 23.0.60.1 which would be the very latest, I'm running ubuntu 8.04.
mouse-1 doesn't do anything in speedbar, while clicking the button in scroll wheel( mouse-2) or the middle button in thinkpad selects the buffer or expands etc.
I think its a trivial bug. But by customizing i should be able to change it, I'm wondering how.

The reason I'm saying its a trivial bug is because, it is not intuitive and because, if you
are familiar with dframe.el in speedbar, middle button is mapped to dframe-click event
and mouse-1 is mapped to dframe-double-click event in dframe.el which is kind of
inverse. Please let me know if you have any ideas on how to customize it.

Thanks.

@ 2008-12-07 17:10       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-12-07 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sanjeevfiles, help-gnu-emacs

> > > I wanted to use mouse-1 single click to do all i want in
> > > speedbar instead of use mouse-2 ( scroll button ) click.
> > > I couldn't find an easy way so I edited dframe.el and
> > > swapped down-mouse-1 event and mouse-2 event.
> > > Now I got exactly what I want but the problem is
> > > that everytime i move the mouse in speedbar, i always
> > > get some highlight as if i am trying to copy something.
> > > Is there anyway to get around this or is there a way to
> > > solve this correctly   ?
> >
> > What Emacs version are you using? In Emacs 22 or later `mouse-1' should
> > do what you want by default, and the behavior is controlled by option
> > `mouse-1-click-follows-link'.
>
> I'm using 23.0.60.1 which would be the very latest, I'm running ubuntu
> 8.04.  mouse-1 doesn't do anything in speedbar, while clicking the
> button in scroll wheel( mouse-2) or the middle button in thinkpad
> selects the buffer or expands etc.  I think its a trivial bug. But by
> customizing i should be able to change it, I'm wondering how.
>
> The reason I'm saying its a trivial bug is because, it is not
> intuitive and because, if you are familiar with dframe.el in speedbar,
> middle button is mapped to dframe-click event and mouse-1 is mapped to
> dframe-double-click event in dframe.el which is kind of
> inverse. Please let me know if you have any ideas on how to customize it.

[Please don't top-post.  Use plain text, not HTML, for this mailing list.]

Are you using emacs -Q? If not, perhaps something in your .emacs is
causing the problem. What is your value of `mouse-1-click-follows-link'?

I don't see the problem, with emacs -Q in this build:

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2008-11-24 on LENNART-69DE564
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/g/include -fno-crossjumping'

If your version is more recent than that, check Emacs NEWS (`C-h n')
to see if this change was intentional. If it was not, please file an
Emacs bug: `M-x report-emacs-bug'.

* RE: speedbar question
@ 2008-12-08  5:42         ` Maindoor
From: Maindoor @ 2008-12-08  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, Drew Adams

I tried emacs -Q but the behavior is the same. and some
version on windows works fine too. I think this is a bug
and I've filed a bug report too.

Thanks.

@ 2008-12-08  5:46         ` Maindoor
From: Maindoor @ 2008-12-08  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, Drew Adams

mouse-1-click-follows-link value is 450.