all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Setting fonts for particular frames
@ 2002-10-24  2:10 Peter Ashford
From: Peter Ashford @ 2002-10-24  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi There,

I'd like to know if I can set a specific font (not the default) to be used
for the Speedbar frame?

Cheers,

Peter

* Re: Setting fonts for particular frames
@ 2002-10-24  6:16 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-10-24  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Peter Ashford wrote:

> I'd like to know if I can set a specific font (not the default) to be used
> for the Speedbar frame?

Sure you can: this is Emacs.

Either customize the variable speedbar-frame-parameters to specify a
different default font, or customize the variables speedbar-*-face to
name a font (or both).

* Re: Setting fonts for particular frames
       [not found] <mailman.1035440239.30769.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-10-24 11:00 ` Matthias Meulien
From: Matthias Meulien @ 2002-10-24 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@is.elta.co.il> wrote:

> (...) Sure you can: this is Emacs.

Ok. If I select a small font, the speedbar frame height will be
smaller than its attached frame. How do I make sure the two frames
height are equal ?
--
Matthias

* Re: Setting fonts for particular frames
@ 2002-10-24 17:29   ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2002-10-24 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthias Meulien <meulien@club.lemonde.fr> writes:

>Eli Zaretskii <eliz@is.elta.co.il> wrote:
>
>> (...) Sure you can: this is Emacs.
>
>Ok. If I select a small font, the speedbar frame height will be
>smaller than its attached frame. How do I make sure the two frames
>height are equal ?
>--
>Matthias

Well, you can add a '(height . nn) form to the speedbar-frame-alist.
If you want to be clever, you can calculate nn as a ratio of
(main frame font size / speedbar frame font size), which should get it
close.

--
Mike Slass

* Re: Setting fonts for particular frames
@ 2002-10-24 17:32     ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2002-10-24 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Slass <miknrene@drizzle.com> writes:

>Matthias Meulien <meulien@club.lemonde.fr> writes:
>
>>Eli Zaretskii <eliz@is.elta.co.il> wrote:
>>
>>> (...) Sure you can: this is Emacs.
>>
>>Ok. If I select a small font, the speedbar frame height will be
>>smaller than its attached frame. How do I make sure the two frames
>>height are equal ?
>>--
>>Matthias
>
>Well, you can add a '(height . nn) form to the speedbar-frame-alist.
>If you want to be clever, you can calculate nn as a ratio of
>(main frame font size / speedbar frame font size), which should get it
>close.
>

>--
>Mike Slass

oops. that's speedbar-frame-parameters

--
Mike Slass

@ 2002-10-29  0:17 ` Peter Ashford
From: Peter Ashford @ 2002-10-29  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@is.elta.co.il> wrote in message

> On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Peter Ashford wrote:
>
> > I'd like to know if I can set a specific font (not the default) to be
used
> > for the Speedbar frame?
>
> Sure you can: this is Emacs.
>
> Either customize the variable speedbar-frame-parameters to specify a
> different default font, or customize the variables speedbar-*-face to
> name a font (or both).

Fantastic - thanks!

@ 2002-10-29  0:30 ` Peter Ashford
From: Peter Ashford @ 2002-10-29  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@is.elta.co.il> wrote in message

> On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Peter Ashford wrote:
>
> > I'd like to know if I can set a specific font (not the default) to be
used
> > for the Speedbar frame?
>
> Sure you can: this is Emacs.
>
> Either customize the variable speedbar-frame-parameters to specify a
> different default font, or customize the variables speedbar-*-face to
> name a font (or both).

Another question:

I tried to apply the same method to the contents of the *compilation* buffer
(which appears in a seperate frame for me) but there's no corrosponding
customize face option for the compilation buffer.  How do I specify a custom
font in this case?

@ 2002-10-29  6:38   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-10-29  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Peter Ashford wrote:

> I tried to apply the same method to the contents of the *compilation* buffer
> (which appears in a seperate frame for me) but there's no corrosponding
> customize face option for the compilation buffer.  How do I specify a custom
> font in this case?

Emacs runs the functions on the list named `after-make-frame-functions'
after it creates a new frame; you could customize that list to include a
function which modifies the frame's faces and/or fonts if the frame
displays the *compilation* buffer.

* Re: Setting fonts for particular frames
@ 2002-10-29 10:10   ` Matthias Meulien
From: Matthias Meulien @ 2002-10-29 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Peter Ashford" <me@here.there.com> wrote:

> (...) I tried to apply the same method to the contents of the
> *compilation* buffer (which appears in a seperate frame for me) but
> there's no corrosponding customize face option for the compilation
> buffer. How do I specify a custom font in this case?

You can make *compilation* a special display buffer name with the
following (untested) :

(add-to-list 'special-display-buffer-names
		   '("*compilation*"
		     (menu-bar-lines . 0)
		     (vertical-scroll-bars . nil)
		     (tool-bar-lines . 0)
		     (foreground-color . "gray")
		     (background-color . "black")
		     (height . 24) (width . 80)
		     (font .
		   "-Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-SemiCondensed--13-120-75-75-C-*-*")))

Make sure that *compilation* is not a same-window-buffer-names...
--
Matthias

* Re: Setting fonts for particular frames
@ 2002-10-29 20:11     ` Peter Ashford
From: Peter Ashford @ 2002-10-29 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Matthias Meulien" <meulien@club.lemonde.fr> wrote in message
> "Peter Ashford" <me@here.there.com> wrote:
>
> > (...) I tried to apply the same method to the contents of the
> > *compilation* buffer (which appears in a seperate frame for me) but
> > there's no corrosponding customize face option for the compilation
> > buffer. How do I specify a custom font in this case?
>
> You can make *compilation* a special display buffer name with the
> following (untested) :
>
> (add-to-list 'special-display-buffer-names
>    '("*compilation*"
>      (menu-bar-lines . 0)
>      (vertical-scroll-bars . nil)
>      (tool-bar-lines . 0)
>      (foreground-color . "gray")
>      (background-color . "black")
>      (height . 24) (width . 80)
>      (font .
>    "-Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-SemiCondensed--13-120-75-75-C-*-*")))
>
> Make sure that *compilation* is not a same-window-buffer-names...
> --
> Matthias

Thanks!  That's all working now and looking brilliant.

Cheers :o)

Peter.